Polymer lower? - Page 11
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > Polymer lower?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-24-2013, 02:40 PM   #101
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 237 Times on 187 Posts
Likes Given: 342

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneralPatton View Post
I kinda quit these threads on poly for a while, as most of those speaking negatively had approximately ZERO first hand experience with them. I put together a NFA poly lower with a Spikes upper back in late Feb. After about 600 rounds (I'm not the type to buy and store weapons......the same way I treat cars, I buy them to drive them not park them) it has been flawless. I had some concern because the opinions on poly from some of the guys on this board that I have the utmost respect for were quite critical for reasons that I found to be certainly areas of concern. I don't really beat on my weapons, I don't carry my AR daily nor have I taken it anywhere outside of the range. But after those rounds I always tore it down and went over it with a fine toothed comb. Are there scenarios that I'd probably rather have aluminum? Well hell yes there are. But for the average joe who is just target shooting (which I believe most shooters these days are) I personally think poly will work just fine.

I was at the range yesterday knocking back a few rounds and a couple guys came out with a Winchester 92, a couple handguns (one was a Beretta PX4 the other I only saw was a S&W Wesson didn't see which one) and a brand new Rock River AR that had a NiB bcg and a vortex optic. I was politely engaging in conversation and he asked me how I zeroed my optic and said he was having difficulty. So I told him what to do and went back to my business. After they fired a few shots I instantly realized these guys were part of the hysteria and had just bought this. He would run the target out about 30 feet and blast 6 or 7 rounds at no particular point then bring it in and turn the adjuster like he was wrenching down a pipe fitting then put the target at 20 feet and blast away again. The lack of knowledge and discipline in these hysteria buyers is just amazing to me. They think you just buy, attach parts and will instantly be a champion level shooter.
Doing a build now for a guy who got an NFA on gunbroker. It looks like the 3D printer or what ever machine they made it with didn't get the measurements right, so I am going to have to do some filing off of material to get the parts to fit. Hope it turns out ok. We'll see.

"Democracy is two wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for dinner.
Liberty is the well-armed lamb contesting the vote." - Benjamin Franklin

Old 04-24-2013, 07:29 PM   #102

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbd512
All the polymer bashing is kinda funny considering most people use polymer furniture on their AR-15's and have polymer frame pistols. I just think that the technology (design geometry of the polymer lower receiver) is not mature enough to say for sure that it will work just as well as a forged aluminum lower.

Lots of us now use PMAG magazines and I've never seen a test of an aluminum or steel AR-15 magazine where it was run over by a truck and survived.

The polymers and aluminum alloys both have their strong points and weaknesses.

If NFA would use steel or aluminum alloy inserts where the buffer tube housing goes and the pins go, then it would go a long way to improving the strength of the lower in critical areas.

Anyone using an AR-15 is obviously a member of the "technology is better" crowd, or they'd still be using M1's or M14's.

The SCAR carbines and rifles use polymer lowers and it's unlikely that USSOCOM would issue weapons of questionable durability for general purpose use.

All new technologies require testing and polymer lowers simply haven't been around long enough or tested extensively enough to gauge their durability with respect to forged aluminum.
Well put!!

Old 04-24-2013, 07:35 PM   #103

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by fsted2a

I was being polite. I personally think polymer is just another fancy word for plastic. The point I was making is I don't care for anything other than aluminum on my AR receiver, however, so far, I have seen less complaints from users about the Carbon 15 model than any other non-metal receiver, and I have met a few people who think their Carbon 15 is great.
I LOVE it. The first gen of them had issues. I got the gen 2 and really enjoy it.

Old 04-24-2013, 08:05 PM   #104

Liked 4887 Times on 2369 Posts
Likes Given: 1524

I like it Cane but you FORGOT one...

It should be BBBB

You left out BALLS!

Tack

Quote:
Originally Posted by canebrake View Post
And with that said ^ I'll leave all the poly stuff for the glock folks. (bless their little plastic hearts)

Brass Bourbon and Bullets (Steel*) made America Great!

* canebrake poetic license (BBBS)

Old 04-24-2013, 08:20 PM   #105

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by polyman69

Not trying to force my opinion on anyone, just trying to help. I only offered a legit account of how my rifles have held up. I assure you My 3 boys have dropped, thrown and abused my rifles for years with no detectable damage to the poly lower. My alum rifles, down to 2 , are dented, rusted and 1 of them has a small crack where a deep dent was hammered out with a wood block and a brass hammer. During gator season my two oldest spray the mud off of them and leave them in the boat. You're happy with your alum? Great , stick with it. I have worked the piss out of both , I have my favorite, poly. Hell I wish someone would figure out how to make a poly upper. keep in mind fellas, I'm not repeating something I read, this is my first hand experience, no assumptions, no hypothesis, real years of abuse. I appreciate difference of opinion as well as our right to personal preference, however,can you really knock it before YOU have actually tried it? (remember the hatred Glock faced with their "tupperware" guns?) I dare you to find 1 manufacturer that doesn't offer several poly models. Must be something to it,huh?
Food for thought.
They do have poly/carbon uppers. Bushmaster's C15. I have one and it's great!

Old 04-25-2013, 03:51 AM   #106
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 100 Times on 83 Posts
Likes Given: 42

So I've put another 400 or so rounds downrange. I changed the trigger spring with the JP reduced power yellow spring kit. I had that spring kit in my DPMS and loved it. In the NFA lower, the trigger is 1000 times better with the spring kit. The only problem now is, it won't fire Lake City manufactured rounds. I even tried striking one round 5 times in a row and it would not fire. It fires every other round I've tried in it, but it's only ever actually discharged 1 lake city case. That is rather disappointing, as I have about 1000 rounds of lake city 5.56.

At 33 yards (max indoor range distance) after changing the springs, I can group about the size of a quarter all day long

GP

A good plan executed today is better than a perfect plan executed at some indefinite point in the future.
- General George Patton Jr

Old 04-25-2013, 07:38 AM   #107

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts

I just built a NFA lower and I hear a couple people out there saying that they are not built to spec which is BS, these poly lowers are not milled or at least not completely but I believe are injection molded for the most part so there is , like in mine , a little more material in where the magazine catch where I had to dremel out( literally 40 secs of work total!) to get it to seat correctly, other than that NO problems what so ever, because of all the negative talk on the web And here , I even doubted it when I had an issue with my FG but it just had to be cycled and broken in more. What did people say when Glocks came out??? A Tupperware gun? Lol

SA XD-40 V10 (Ported) 40 S&W
New Frontier Stripped Lower
RRA LPK (Lower parts kit)
More to come....

"Don't thik of it as 'Gun Control', think of it as "Victim disarmament". If we make enough laws, we can ALL be criminals".

Old 04-25-2013, 03:37 PM   #108

Liked 47 Times on 31 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I'm building a carbine with a Frontier lower. My goal is to stay under $600.00 for the build.

I purchased the lower at $60.00 and the remaining parts will be used/new.