Polymer lower? - Page 10
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > Polymer lower?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-19-2013, 06:51 PM   #91
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 100 Times on 83 Posts
Likes Given: 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by fsted2a View Post
Might I suggest you not take the fcg down unless you have a specific reason? Seems to me I remember seeing a warning on a friends C15 regarding the pin holes widening with too many times removing the pins.
I didn't remove the fcg. I just used a magnifying glass and lots of light to look in there. But I am going to remove it today to install a JP yellow trigger spring kit. If that doesn't make it feel much better, I'm going to replace the whole trigger mechanism (when I don't have to give my left nut with the cash anyway)

A good plan executed today is better than a perfect plan executed at some indefinite point in the future.
- General George Patton Jr

Old 02-22-2013, 04:58 PM   #92
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 220 Times on 173 Posts
Likes Given: 293

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneralPatton View Post
I didn't remove the fcg. I just used a magnifying glass and lots of light to look in there. But I am going to remove it today to install a JP yellow trigger spring kit. If that doesn't make it feel much better, I'm going to replace the whole trigger mechanism (when I don't have to give my left nut with the cash anyway)
Good idea as long as you are not doing it every time you fire.

"Democracy is two wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for dinner.
Liberty is the well-armed lamb contesting the vote." - Benjamin Franklin

Old 02-22-2013, 09:48 PM   #93

I don't take the FCG apart unless I have some really good specific reason. Same with most all my weapons, so many small parts and with luck like mine, some spring would fly to the moon and leave me with a dysfunctional mechanism

A good plan executed today is better than a perfect plan executed at some indefinite point in the future.

Old 02-23-2013, 05:33 AM   #94

Liked 1000 Times on 703 Posts
Likes Given: 1001

The FCG is very easy to disassemble/reassemble. No springs will go flying. I've done it a lot getting the the best trigger action in four lowers from 7 LPKs. Mixing some hammers and triggers from different kits ended up the best combos. Anyway, multiple fittings for each lower were required but it's a piece of cake so worth the time to get smooth triggers. Don't know if this is advisable in poly but not a concern with alloy.

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.

Old 02-23-2013, 12:57 PM   #95
FAA licensed bugsmasher
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2124 Times on 1152 Posts
Likes Given: 769

Quote:
I don't take the FCG apart unless I have some really good specific reason. Same with most all my weapons, so many small parts and with luck like mine, some spring would fly to the moon and leave me with a dysfunctional mechanism
I was pretty surprised to find out how few parts there were in the FCG when I put mine together. It was much easier than I expected. Go ahead and give it a try. There are several YouTube videos that will show you a couple tricks to make it a non-issue.

Scott

Quote:
If you're not representing Jesus in a way that makes people want to hang out with you, you're doing it wrong.
Quote:
Those who refuse to participate in politics shall be governed by their inferiors. -Plato
Regent Holdings What you need to know about silver, gold, and the economy.

Join the NRA

Last edited by ScottA; 02-23-2013 at 12:59 PM.

Old 04-15-2013, 05:41 PM   #96

Default Don't Throw the FMK Lower out with the Polymer Bath Water...

Y'know that old saying, "Don't throw the baby out with the bath water?" Same thing here.

We're a stocking dealer for FMK in East Tennessee. We've sold literally hundreds of FMK AR-1 Patriots across the country and only had ONE person have any issues.

In fact, when she wrote and told us she'd had a problem with her lower, we contacted FMK immediately. They gave us instructions to send the lower back asap and they'd send her a new one as soon as they had them in stock.

Since she was an existing customer of ours and since we buy the lowers by the case, we had her ship it to us and we replaced it with one of our own from inventory and shipped the broken one to FMK.

I gotta say, having built a 6.8 and a 5.56 for our own collection as well as the hundreds we've sold - FMK has really done an awesome job of listening to their customers, making sure they're putting out a quality product, and really standing behind their lifetime guarantee.

Not all polymer lowers are made equal. While I can't speak for any of the other lowers y'all have referenced, I just didn't want FMK to get lumped in as anything less than top-quality.

Rachel Young for
FightingSheepDog.com

Old 04-15-2013, 06:01 PM   #97

Quote:
Originally Posted by fsdgunsmith View Post
Y'know that old saying, "Don't throw the baby out with the bath water?" Same thing here.

We're a stocking dealer for FMK in East Tennessee. We've sold literally hundreds of FMK AR-1 Patriots across the country and only had ONE person have any issues.

In fact, when she wrote and told us she'd had a problem with her lower, we contacted FMK immediately. They gave us instructions to send the lower back asap and they'd send her a new one as soon as they had them in stock.

Since she was an existing customer of ours and since we buy the lowers by the case, we had her ship it to us and we replaced it with one of our own from inventory and shipped the broken one to FMK.

I gotta say, having built a 6.8 and a 5.56 for our own collection as well as the hundreds we've sold - FMK has really done an awesome job of listening to their customers, making sure they're putting out a quality product, and really standing behind their lifetime guarantee.

Not all polymer lowers are made equal. While I can't speak for any of the other lowers y'all have referenced, I just didn't want FMK to get lumped in as anything less than top-quality.

Rachel Young for
FightingSheepDog.com
I am sure that there are good, possibly great, Poly AR's out there. Those of us who get stung with a bad one can sometimes have sour grapes. I am glad you take care of your customers. I think that says a lot about your company.

Old 04-16-2013, 05:34 PM   #98

Thanks, fsted! We DO try to take care of our customers in any way we can.

Just didn't want to see a great company who really care about their customers get tossed aside for a couple of accidental lemons.

If I can ever be of assistance, please don't hesitate to let me know! (The quote in your signature is GREAT, btw!)

Rachel

Old 04-17-2013, 01:34 PM   #99

I kinda quit these threads on poly for a while, as most of those speaking negatively had approximately ZERO first hand experience with them. I put together a NFA poly lower with a Spikes upper back in late Feb. After about 600 rounds (I'm not the type to buy and store weapons......the same way I treat cars, I buy them to drive them not park them) it has been flawless. I had some concern because the opinions on poly from some of the guys on this board that I have the utmost respect for were quite critical for reasons that I found to be certainly areas of concern. I don't really beat on my weapons, I don't carry my AR daily nor have I taken it anywhere outside of the range. But after those rounds I always tore it down and went over it with a fine toothed comb. Are there scenarios that I'd probably rather have aluminum? Well hell yes there are. But for the average joe who is just target shooting (which I believe most shooters these days are) I personally think poly will work just fine.

I was at the range yesterday knocking back a few rounds and a couple guys came out with a Winchester 92, a couple handguns (one was a Beretta PX4 the other I only saw was a S&W Wesson didn't see which one) and a brand new Rock River AR that had a NiB bcg and a vortex optic. I was politely engaging in conversation and he asked me how I zeroed my optic and said he was having difficulty. So I told him what to do and went back to my business. After they fired a few shots I instantly realized these guys were part of the hysteria and had just bought this. He would run the target out about 30 feet and blast 6 or 7 rounds at no particular point then bring it in and turn the adjuster like he was wrenching down a pipe fitting then put the target at 20 feet and blast away again. The lack of knowledge and discipline in these hysteria buyers is just amazing to me. They think you just buy, attach parts and will instantly be a champion level shooter.

EW1066 Likes This 
Old 04-17-2013, 03:22 PM   #100

Quote:
I kinda quit these threads on poly for a while, as most of those speaking negatively had approximately ZERO first hand experience with them. I put together a NFA poly lower with a Spikes upper back in late Feb. After about 600 rounds (I'm not the type to buy and store weapons......the same way I treat cars, I buy them to drive them not park them) it has been flawless. I had some concern because the opinions on poly from some of the guys on this board that I have the utmost respect for were quite critical for reasons that I found to be certainly areas of concern. I don't really beat on my weapons, I don't carry my AR daily nor have I taken it anywhere outside of the range. But after those rounds I always tore it down and went over it with a fine toothed comb. Are there scenarios that I'd probably rather have aluminum? Well hell yes there are. But for the average joe who is just target shooting (which I believe most shooters these days are) I personally think poly will work just fine.

I was at the range yesterday knocking back a few rounds and a couple guys came out with a Winchester 92, a couple handguns (one was a Beretta PX4 the other I only saw was a S&W Wesson didn't see which one) and a brand new Rock River AR that had a NiB bcg and a vortex optic. I was politely engaging in conversation and he asked me how I zeroed my optic and said he was having difficulty. So I told him what to do and went back to my business. After they fired a few shots I instantly realized these guys were part of the hysteria and had just bought this. He would run the target out about 30 feet and blast 6 or 7 rounds at no particular point then bring it in and turn the adjuster like he was wrenching down a pipe fitting then put the target at 20 feet and blast away again. The lack of knowledge and discipline in these hysteria buyers is just amazing to me. They think you just buy, attach parts and will instantly be a champion level shooter.
I was probably one of the most critical, having a bad experience a few years back. It was a Vulcan, a company probably trying to piggyback of the Carbon 15 sales from Bushy. I had nothing but problems with it, so it left a real bad impression with me. From what I learned since though, Vulcan has been terrible with quality control, so I am willing to give another company a shot. I came into possession of a cheap NFA lower, so I am going to start a build with it.