Polymer lower?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > Polymer lower?

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-03-2013, 05:52 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Tenderribbs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 317
Liked 16 Times on 15 Posts

Default Polymer lower?

Are they any good as far as a throw in the truck and and 4whleeler and get bounced around kind ? Im looking at the new frontier . Seems like it would be a cheap way to get an extra Ar in the gun case and wouldn't have to be a cabinet queen . I have everything else except the bolt carrier and bolt . Thanks

__________________
Tenderribbs is offline  
 
Reply With Quote

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here


Old 02-03-2013, 06:01 PM   #2
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 1,036
Liked 100 Times on 83 Posts
Likes Given: 42

Default

I have two of the NFA complete lowers. I have an ATI .22 upper on one of them. I don't have an upper since you can't find one nowadays for less than $750 bucks with bcg. The bcg is the key though, as there simply aren't any under $300 out there. I heard all the blah blah about polymers, but hey, if Glock can do it, why couldn't an AR frame? The one thing I heard was that it could be difficult with a stripped polymer lower to get the LPK in. SOme said they had to use a dremel and make some minor modifications to make it all come together. But I've had no problems at all

__________________

A good plan executed today is better than a perfect plan executed at some indefinite point in the future.
- General George Patton Jr

GeneralPatton is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 06:10 PM   #3
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
canebrake's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: 150 miles NE of Sloppy Joe's Bar
Posts: 21,941
Liked 1424 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Default

And with that said ^ I'll leave all the poly stuff for the glock folks. (bless their little plastic hearts)



Brass Bourbon and Bullets (Steel*) made America Great!

* canebrake poetic license (BBBS)

__________________
http://i695.photobucket.com/albums/v...brake02jpg.jpg

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello
canebrake is offline  
divinginn Likes This 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 06:14 PM   #4
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Tenderribbs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 317
Liked 16 Times on 15 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneralPatton
I have two of the NFA complete lowers. I have an ATI .22 upper on one of them. I don't have an upper since you can't find one nowadays for less than $750 bucks with bcg. The bcg is the key though, as there simply aren't any under $300 out there. I heard all the blah blah about polymers, but hey, if Glock can do it, why couldn't an AR frame? The one thing I heard was that it could be difficult with a stripped polymer lower to get the LPK in. SOme said they had to use a dremel and make some minor modifications to make it all come together. But I've had no problems at all
Well I happen to have two stripped uppers a2 carry handles one is DPMS and one is Delton aluminum want to do some swapin?
__________________
Tenderribbs is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 06:23 PM   #5
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 1,036
Liked 100 Times on 83 Posts
Likes Given: 42

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenderribbs View Post
Well I happen to have two stripped uppers a2 carry handles one is DPMS and one is Delton aluminum want to do some swapin?
As a matter of a fact, I believe you have a PM
__________________

A good plan executed today is better than a perfect plan executed at some indefinite point in the future.
- General George Patton Jr

GeneralPatton is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 09:24 PM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 1,844
Liked 1235 Times on 688 Posts
Likes Given: 532

Default

All the polymer bashing is kinda funny considering most people use polymer furniture on their AR-15's and have polymer frame pistols. I just think that the technology (design geometry of the polymer lower receiver) is not mature enough to say for sure that it will work just as well as a forged aluminum lower.

Lots of us now use PMAG magazines and I've never seen a test of an aluminum or steel AR-15 magazine where it was run over by a truck and survived.

The polymers and aluminum alloys both have their strong points and weaknesses.

If NFA would use steel or aluminum alloy inserts where the buffer tube housing goes and the pins go, then it would go a long way to improving the strength of the lower in critical areas.

Anyone using an AR-15 is obviously a member of the "technology is better" crowd, or they'd still be using M1's or M14's.

The SCAR carbines and rifles use polymer lowers and it's unlikely that USSOCOM would issue weapons of questionable durability for general purpose use.

All new technologies require testing and polymer lowers simply haven't been around long enough or tested extensively enough to gauge their durability with respect to forged aluminum.

__________________
kbd512 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 09:32 PM   #7
FAA licensed bugsmasher
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
ScottA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Davenport,IA
Posts: 6,991
Liked 2337 Times on 1258 Posts
Likes Given: 846

Default

I had a Plum Crazy lower that I put together my first build with. It worked fine. Early last year I had an inkling to get a stripped lower. I sat on it for months until December when I ordered all the parts just in the nick of time before the market went insane. Then sold the Plum Crazy for a very healthy profit.

It's an inexpensive way to get the rifle built. Go ahead and try it. If it doesn't work for you, do something else later.

__________________

Scott

Quote:
If you're not representing Jesus in a way that makes people want to hang out with you, you're doing it wrong.
Quote:
Those who refuse to participate in politics shall be governed by their inferiors. -Plato
Join the NRA
ScottA is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 01:58 PM   #8
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
fsted2a's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 1,177
Liked 238 Times on 188 Posts
Likes Given: 356

Default

Like anything else, there are some bad ones out there. I think Bushmaster Carbon 15 would be the polymer I would get if I were so inclined. They have been around a while, and I have seen a few people at the ranges who said they didn't have any problems with theirs. I had one, a Vulcan, and my experience was very bad. From what I have seen in posts, Vulcan products are the ones to stay away from, regardless of polymer or aluminum. Vulcan also goes under the names of Blackthorne and Hesse. I don't think I will personnaly get a polymer upper or lower as the aluminum receivers don't weigh much to start with, and rust isn't an issue except for the LPK. AR 15's are the lightest tactical type semi auto's on the market (actually, since Sandy Hook, none of them have been "on the market" lately), so if you were trying to take weight away, start by getting a shorter barrel.

__________________

"Democracy is two wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for dinner.
Liberty is the well-armed lamb contesting the vote." - Benjamin Franklin

fsted2a is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 03:10 PM   #9
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
purehavoc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Not where I wanna be
Posts: 4,751
Liked 1134 Times on 738 Posts
Likes Given: 2021

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by fsted2a View Post
Like anything else, there are some bad ones out there. I think Bushmaster Carbon 15 would be the polymer I would get if I were so inclined. They have been around a while, and I have seen a few people at the ranges who said they didn't have any problems with theirs. I had one, a Vulcan, and my experience was very bad. From what I have seen in posts, Vulcan products are the ones to stay away from, regardless of polymer or aluminum. Vulcan also goes under the names of Blackthorne and Hesse. I don't think I will personnaly get a polymer upper or lower as the aluminum receivers don't weigh much to start with, and rust isn't an issue except for the LPK. AR 15's are the lightest tactical type semi auto's on the market (actually, since Sandy Hook, none of them have been "on the market" lately), so if you were trying to take weight away, start by getting a shorter barrel.
The Bushy Carbon 15 isnt really poly , its epoxied carbon scraps , Its not strong like woven Carbon so dont think your getting the same thing. The C15 lower isnt terrible but they have the same thing on the upper and the top rail is bonded to the carbon shredded upper and I have seen a few of these delaminate between the rail and upper . I dont think the poly lowers are really that terrible there isnt that much wear or stress on a lower unless your beating the stock on something , However I dont own one either , poly is truly a disposable item when the pins wear the poly holes out its done , unless you have some true craftsmanship with JB weld I have several poly guns S&W, Ruger , Diamond Back Firearms , and they are all great and have not had a issue .
I would not be afraid to built a AR from a poly lower I just choose not to when I have access to a tried and true alum lower for a miniscule amount more .
__________________
purehavoc is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 08:08 PM   #10
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
fsted2a's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 1,177
Liked 238 Times on 188 Posts
Likes Given: 356

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by purehavoc View Post
The Bushy Carbon 15 isnt really poly , its epoxied carbon scraps , Its not strong like woven Carbon so dont think your getting the same thing.

I was being polite. I personally think polymer is just another fancy word for plastic. The point I was making is I don't care for anything other than aluminum on my AR receiver, however, so far, I have seen less complaints from users about the Carbon 15 model than any other non-metal receiver, and I have met a few people who think their Carbon 15 is great.
__________________

"Democracy is two wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for dinner.
Liberty is the well-armed lamb contesting the vote." - Benjamin Franklin

fsted2a is offline  
purehavoc Likes This 
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Firearms Forum Replies Last Post
Polymer AR-15 lower bigrock44 AR-15 Discussion 45 05-22-2012 07:32 PM
Polymer AR Lower Shingles44 AR-15 Discussion 2 02-27-2009 06:48 PM