Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   AR-15 Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f20/)
-   -   Polymer lower? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f20/polymer-lower-83287/)

Tenderribbs 02-03-2013 04:52 PM

Polymer lower?

Are they any good as far as a throw in the truck and and 4whleeler and get bounced around kind ? Im looking at the new frontier . Seems like it would be a cheap way to get an extra Ar in the gun case and wouldn't have to be a cabinet queen . I have everything else except the bolt carrier and bolt . Thanks

GeneralPatton 02-03-2013 05:01 PM

I have two of the NFA complete lowers. I have an ATI .22 upper on one of them. I don't have an upper since you can't find one nowadays for less than $750 bucks with bcg. The bcg is the key though, as there simply aren't any under $300 out there. I heard all the blah blah about polymers, but hey, if Glock can do it, why couldn't an AR frame? The one thing I heard was that it could be difficult with a stripped polymer lower to get the LPK in. SOme said they had to use a dremel and make some minor modifications to make it all come together. But I've had no problems at all

canebrake 02-03-2013 05:10 PM

And with that said ^ I'll leave all the poly stuff for the glock folks. (bless their little plastic hearts)

Brass Bourbon and Bullets (Steel*) made America Great!

* canebrake poetic license (BBBS) http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...s/1_cowboy.gif

Tenderribbs 02-03-2013 05:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GeneralPatton
I have two of the NFA complete lowers. I have an ATI .22 upper on one of them. I don't have an upper since you can't find one nowadays for less than $750 bucks with bcg. The bcg is the key though, as there simply aren't any under $300 out there. I heard all the blah blah about polymers, but hey, if Glock can do it, why couldn't an AR frame? The one thing I heard was that it could be difficult with a stripped polymer lower to get the LPK in. SOme said they had to use a dremel and make some minor modifications to make it all come together. But I've had no problems at all

Well I happen to have two stripped uppers a2 carry handles one is DPMS and one is Delton aluminum want to do some swapin?

GeneralPatton 02-03-2013 05:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tenderribbs (Post 1122271)
Well I happen to have two stripped uppers a2 carry handles one is DPMS and one is Delton aluminum want to do some swapin?

As a matter of a fact, I believe you have a PM :cool:

kbd512 02-03-2013 08:24 PM

All the polymer bashing is kinda funny considering most people use polymer furniture on their AR-15's and have polymer frame pistols. I just think that the technology (design geometry of the polymer lower receiver) is not mature enough to say for sure that it will work just as well as a forged aluminum lower.

Lots of us now use PMAG magazines and I've never seen a test of an aluminum or steel AR-15 magazine where it was run over by a truck and survived.

The polymers and aluminum alloys both have their strong points and weaknesses.

If NFA would use steel or aluminum alloy inserts where the buffer tube housing goes and the pins go, then it would go a long way to improving the strength of the lower in critical areas.

Anyone using an AR-15 is obviously a member of the "technology is better" crowd, or they'd still be using M1's or M14's.

The SCAR carbines and rifles use polymer lowers and it's unlikely that USSOCOM would issue weapons of questionable durability for general purpose use.

All new technologies require testing and polymer lowers simply haven't been around long enough or tested extensively enough to gauge their durability with respect to forged aluminum.

ScottA 02-03-2013 08:32 PM

I had a Plum Crazy lower that I put together my first build with. It worked fine. Early last year I had an inkling to get a stripped lower. I sat on it for months until December when I ordered all the parts just in the nick of time before the market went insane. Then sold the Plum Crazy for a very healthy profit.

It's an inexpensive way to get the rifle built. Go ahead and try it. If it doesn't work for you, do something else later.

fsted2a 02-04-2013 12:58 PM

Like anything else, there are some bad ones out there. I think Bushmaster Carbon 15 would be the polymer I would get if I were so inclined. They have been around a while, and I have seen a few people at the ranges who said they didn't have any problems with theirs. I had one, a Vulcan, and my experience was very bad. From what I have seen in posts, Vulcan products are the ones to stay away from, regardless of polymer or aluminum. Vulcan also goes under the names of Blackthorne and Hesse. I don't think I will personnaly get a polymer upper or lower as the aluminum receivers don't weigh much to start with, and rust isn't an issue except for the LPK. AR 15's are the lightest tactical type semi auto's on the market (actually, since Sandy Hook, none of them have been "on the market" lately), so if you were trying to take weight away, start by getting a shorter barrel.

purehavoc 02-04-2013 02:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fsted2a (Post 1123406)
Like anything else, there are some bad ones out there. I think Bushmaster Carbon 15 would be the polymer I would get if I were so inclined. They have been around a while, and I have seen a few people at the ranges who said they didn't have any problems with theirs. I had one, a Vulcan, and my experience was very bad. From what I have seen in posts, Vulcan products are the ones to stay away from, regardless of polymer or aluminum. Vulcan also goes under the names of Blackthorne and Hesse. I don't think I will personnaly get a polymer upper or lower as the aluminum receivers don't weigh much to start with, and rust isn't an issue except for the LPK. AR 15's are the lightest tactical type semi auto's on the market (actually, since Sandy Hook, none of them have been "on the market" lately), so if you were trying to take weight away, start by getting a shorter barrel.

The Bushy Carbon 15 isnt really poly , its epoxied carbon scraps , Its not strong like woven Carbon so dont think your getting the same thing. The C15 lower isnt terrible but they have the same thing on the upper and the top rail is bonded to the carbon shredded upper and I have seen a few of these delaminate between the rail and upper . I dont think the poly lowers are really that terrible there isnt that much wear or stress on a lower unless your beating the stock on something , However I dont own one either , poly is truly a disposable item when the pins wear the poly holes out its done , unless you have some true craftsmanship with JB weld :D I have several poly guns S&W, Ruger , Diamond Back Firearms , and they are all great and have not had a issue .
I would not be afraid to built a AR from a poly lower I just choose not to when I have access to a tried and true alum lower for a miniscule amount more .

fsted2a 02-04-2013 07:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by purehavoc (Post 1123464)
The Bushy Carbon 15 isnt really poly , its epoxied carbon scraps , Its not strong like woven Carbon so dont think your getting the same thing.

I was being polite:D. I personally think polymer is just another fancy word for plastic. The point I was making is I don't care for anything other than aluminum on my AR receiver, however, so far, I have seen less complaints from users about the Carbon 15 model than any other non-metal receiver, and I have met a few people who think their Carbon 15 is great.