Poly carbinate lowers
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > Poly carbinate lowers

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-03-2012, 06:54 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Poly carbinate lowers

Hey all,
Has any one had any experience with New Frontier Armory's LW15 Composit lower? Went to their website and watched the torture test crunching a alum. lower then their comp. lower. It surpassed the alum. and sprang back and was able to load a mag, awsome! They also offer a lifetime warranty. Supposed to be stronger than the Plumcrazy lower and cheaper too. Their barrels also sparked my intrest, 16'' match grade stainless 8 twist 3 grove polygon rifleing. Any thoughts?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 03-03-2012, 06:58 PM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1217 Times on 684 Posts
Likes Given: 513

Default Check this out

http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f20/psa-meet-plum-crazy-58052/

Old 03-03-2012, 07:48 PM   #3

Already did. Looking for info on New Frontier Armory.

Old 03-03-2012, 08:28 PM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 107 Times on 62 Posts
Likes Given: 22

I watched the same video and I can tell you that the methodology of their testing was biased to make thier lower look good. Sure they showed the amount of deflection, but what they didn't show was the amount of force required to create that deflection. I can say with some level of certainty that the composit lower would have been crushed to failure if subjected to the same FORCE required to compress the aluminum lower that much.

Caveat emptor

EDUB

When injustice becomes law, rebellion becomes duty.

Thomas Jefferson

Last edited by EW1066; 03-03-2012 at 10:28 PM.

Old 03-03-2012, 08:48 PM   #5

Liked 335 Times on 264 Posts
Likes Given: 51

id buy one for a range toy or plinker..........problem is I'm sitting on 2 lowers atm......no it'll be a while.

And btw old glock 17 and 19 probably have 10k rounds out them no worse for wear...I expect my grand kids to shoot em. Polymer is great.

Old 03-03-2012, 09:12 PM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 107 Times on 62 Posts
Likes Given: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by AgentTikki View Post
id buy one for a range toy or plinker..........problem is I'm sitting on 2 lowers atm......no it'll be a while.

And btw old glock 17 and 19 probably have 10k rounds out them no worse for wear...I expect my grand kids to shoot em. Polymer is great.

Glocks were designed from the beginning to be a composit structure. So its designed to play to the strengths of the material used. It cannot be expected that composits will perform better than a metal part when using the exact same form factor as the metal part. You must change the thiskness and form to play to the strength of the material used. Molding an exact copy of an AR lower will make it lighter but not stronger.

ETA: If they want to prove something with their crush test they should do it again. Only this time, do it where the buffer tube attaches to the lower and apply the same force to each and see which one fails first. Or at the center of the lower where the bolt catch and mag release go through the lower. These would be true tests of the structure. The true test of how strong a structure is how much FORCE it can resist not how much it can FLEX

EDUB

When injustice becomes law, rebellion becomes duty.

Thomas Jefferson

Last edited by EW1066; 03-03-2012 at 10:31 PM.

Old 03-04-2012, 01:39 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by EW1066 View Post
Glocks were designed from the beginning to be a composit structure. So its designed to play to the strengths of the material used. It cannot be expected that composits will perform better than a metal part when using the exact same form factor as the metal part. You must change the thiskness and form to play to the strength of the material used. Molding an exact copy of an AR lower will make it lighter but not stronger.

ETA: If they want to prove something with their crush test they should do it again. Only this time, do it where the buffer tube attaches to the lower and apply the same force to each and see which one fails first. Or at the center of the lower where the bolt catch and mag release go through the lower. These would be true tests of the structure. The true test of how strong a structure is how much FORCE it can resist not how much it can FLEX

EDUB
I concur, thought it was a little strange that they used the magwell area instead of in the center.