polly lower an carbon fiber upper ar15
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > polly lower an carbon fiber upper ar15

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-24-2013, 09:47 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Copeman60's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 223
Liked 18 Times on 14 Posts

Default polly lower an carbon fiber upper ar15

One of my close friends bought hiself a ar15 for xmas an the gun felt like a toy. It was a bushmaster with a polly lower an cf upper. The plastic lower felt very cheap an weak. How does everyone feel about polly ar15s??

__________________
Copeman60 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here


Old 12-24-2013, 09:52 PM   #2
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 28,735
Liked 21697 Times on 12308 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Copeman60 View Post
One of my close friends bought hiself a ar15 for xmas an the gun felt like a toy. It was a bushmaster with a polly lower an cf upper. The plastic lower felt very cheap an weak. How does everyone feel about polly ar15s??
i have heard both good and bad about them. from a personal standpoint and preference, they do feel cheap and toylike. i will stick with an alloy version for myself. alloy makes me feel more secure in that it should last longer.

these are strictly my opinions and observations from my personal viewpoint.

YMMV.
__________________
Axxe55 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2013, 09:58 PM   #3
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
SSGN_Doc's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 4,470
Liked 2292 Times on 1345 Posts
Likes Given: 501

Default

Currently there are no "real" carbon fiber uppers or lowers, in the best structural sense of the term. All are a polymer that may have some random carbon fibers in the mix. Not the same type of structural integrity that woven and layered carbon fiber offers.

Polymer has its place in the firearms industry as evidenced by the many guns made that include polymers. The big difference in most modern polymer firearms and polymer AR15s is that the more current designs were intended to use polymer in their construction from the beginning. AR 15s were designed from the beginning to be made from aluminum. Using polymers with no change in dimensions and no re enforcement of thin or potential weak areas has shown a tendency to fail. Many receivers break near the threads are where the buffer tube attaches. Others have had failures at the pivot pin tabs. Uppers see splits in the rail or breaks in the threads where the barrel nut attaches.

For a light use or range use gun this is ok. I just wouldn't go abusing one.

__________________
SSGN_Doc is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2013, 10:01 PM   #4
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Copeman60's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 223
Liked 18 Times on 14 Posts

Default polly lower an carbon fiber upper ar15

One of my close friends bought hiself a ar15 for xmas an the gun felt like a toy. It was a bushmaster with a polly lower an cf upper. The plastic lower felt very cheap an weak. How does everyone feel about polly ar15s??

__________________
Copeman60 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2013, 10:03 PM   #5
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Copeman60's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 223
Liked 18 Times on 14 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSGN_Doc View Post
Currently there are no "real" carbon fiber uppers or lowers, in the best structural sense of the term. All are a polymer that may have some random carbon fibers in the mix. Not the same type of structural integrity that woven and layered carbon fiber offers.

Polymer has its place in the firearms industry as evidenced by the many guns made that include polymers. The big difference in most modern polymer firearms and polymer AR15s is that the more current designs were intended to use polymer in their construction from the beginning. AR 15s were designed from the beginning to be made from aluminum. Using polymers with no change in dimensions and no re enforcement of thin or potential weak areas has shown a tendency to fail. Many receivers break near the threads are where the buffer tube attaches. Others have had failures at the pivot pin tabs. Uppers see splits in the rail or breaks in the threads where the barrel nut attaches.

For a light use or range use gun this is ok. I just wouldn't go abusing one.
Yea I definitely wouldn't abuse one
__________________
Copeman60 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2013, 10:05 PM   #6
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Copeman60's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 223
Liked 18 Times on 14 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axxe55 View Post

i have heard both good and bad about them. from a personal standpoint and preference, they do feel cheap and toylike. i will stick with an alloy version for myself. alloy makes me feel more secure in that it should last longer.

these are strictly my opinions and observations from my personal viewpoint.

YMMV.
It's doesn't even seem like a real ar15!! Very light weight but doesn't feel right in the hands.
__________________
Copeman60 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2013, 10:06 PM   #7
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Sniper03's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 5,254
Liked 2599 Times on 1269 Posts
Likes Given: 1299

Default

Sorry to offend anyone but the best advise is if you have not yet purchased an AR stay away from them. You get what you pay for when speaking of a quality AR 15 regardless of what reputable manufacturer they are from. In regard to higher quality why do you think that Bushmaster built the Carbon AR-15 rifles? To catch the bottom end of the market range!

03

__________________

The Constitution is not an instrument for the Government to restrain the people. It is an instrument for the people to restrain the Government!
*Patrick Henry

Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom."

-- John F. Kennedy

Sniper03 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2013, 10:09 PM   #8
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Copeman60's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 223
Liked 18 Times on 14 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper03 View Post
Sorry to offend anyone but the best advise is if you have not yet purchased an AR stay away from them. You get what you pay for when speaking of a quality AR 15 regardless of what reputable manufacturer they are from. In regard to higher quality why do you think that Bushmaster built the Carbon AR-15 rifles? To catch the bottom end of the market range!

03
Close this thread I posted it twice
__________________
Copeman60 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2013, 02:12 PM   #9
Moderator
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
JonM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Rochester WI,Rochester WI
Posts: 17,747
Liked 5797 Times on 3027 Posts
Likes Given: 397

Default

Threads have been merged

__________________

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

JonM is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2013, 05:45 PM   #10
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Copeman60's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 223
Liked 18 Times on 14 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM View Post
Threads have been merged
I didn't know they did that
__________________
Copeman60 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Firearms Forum Replies Last Post
Kydex mag pouch dipped in carbon fiber. jeffkaiser1989 Firearm Accessories & Gear 2 10-31-2013 04:13 AM
Crimson trace laser grip & Blackhawk serpa carbon fiber holster cellzG26 Firearm Accessories & Gear 0 06-12-2013 04:39 AM
Carbon Fiber AR15 runinman AR-15 Discussion 25 06-11-2012 01:47 AM
Carbon Fiber Composite Barrels Bolosniper General Rifle Discussion 2 07-06-2009 04:48 PM