Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > POF or RRA

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-25-2011, 04:40 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 214 Times on 168 Posts
Likes Given: 286

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM View Post
ok im looking at getting/making a machine gun grade upper (shtf) and im thinking about the POF uppers. reason being is purely for the quality of the barrel. im not a huge fan of the piston systems nor the short sight radius of the POF stuff. is there another barrel maker out there that offers a similar quality barrel in a rifle length. my other option is a heavy barrel chrome lined rifle length from RRA.

and it is going to be used on a select fire M16. this plan involves using it as a LMG in shtf type thing so weight isnt as much of an issue as it will be filling the role similar to a M249SAW. im not getting a belt fed atm due solely to the versatility of the M16 in use of multiple uppers which can be swapped out same as a MG barrel for cooling.

so im thinking i can just buy 3-4 DI chrome lined barrels and uppers with BCG for the price of ONE POF. but all i really need is one extra upper as im upgrading all of my other uppers to FA bolt carriers. so the question im undecided on is just one REALLLLLLY good upper missing the extra sight radius or a cheaper DI with a proper rifle sight radius.

or is there another brand im missing to look at??
I am kind of late to this thread, but you might try and find an LSW upper if you are primarily looking to fire auto all the time. The LSW was designed from day 1 to fire open bolt full auto only, and it has a heavy barrell. Has an oversize gas tube to accomodate heavy useage. Just be sure to get a hydraulic buffer when you do. I usually see one on gunbroker.

Old 08-25-2011, 09:30 PM   #12
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5472 Times on 2859 Posts
Likes Given: 354

Quote:
Originally Posted by fsted2a View Post
I am kind of late to this thread, but you might try and find an LSW upper if you are primarily looking to fire auto all the time. The LSW was designed from day 1 to fire open bolt full auto only, and it has a heavy barrell. Has an oversize gas tube to accomodate heavy useage. Just be sure to get a hydraulic buffer when you do. I usually see one on gunbroker.
thanks ill put em on the list. but im not a fan of open bolt on a m16

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 08-26-2011, 02:11 PM   #13

Quote:
thanks ill put em on the list. but im not a fan of open bolt on a m16
The M16 assault rifle wasn't designed to be a designated machine gun, just an assault weapon with [B]occasional[B] full auto fire. The M16A2 LSW was intended to be a machine gun from the start-no select fire option. The open bolt firing was to avoid a runaway gun due to cookoffs. It all depends on what you want to use the weapon for. The reason I suggested the LSW upper is from reading the rest of the thread, you might be considering firing a significant percentage of your rounds on auto, and the LSW has a heavier barrel and a bigger gas tube designed specifically for that purpose, as well as a heavier bolt carrier. It depends on what your useage is as to whether or not you want to consider an LSW upper. If you don't get the LSW fire control parts, you will still be firing close bolt.
Also, LWRC has a select fire control that switches from closed bolt for semi to open bolt for auto. If you are firing a lot of rounds on auto, that makes sense to avoid cookoff firing.

Last edited by fsted2a; 08-26-2011 at 02:35 PM.

Old 08-26-2011, 04:34 PM   #14
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5472 Times on 2859 Posts
Likes Given: 354

Quote:
Originally Posted by fsted2a View Post
The M16 assault rifle wasn't designed to be a designated machine gun, just an assault weapon with [B]occasional[B] full auto fire. The M16A2 LSW was intended to be a machine gun from the start-no select fire option. The open bolt firing was to avoid a runaway gun due to cookoffs. It all depends on what you want to use the weapon for. The reason I suggested the LSW upper is from reading the rest of the thread, you might be considering firing a significant percentage of your rounds on auto, and the LSW has a heavier barrel and a bigger gas tube designed specifically for that purpose, as well as a heavier bolt carrier. It depends on what your useage is as to whether or not you want to consider an LSW upper. If you don't get the LSW fire control parts, you will still be firing close bolt.
Also, LWRC has a select fire control that switches from closed bolt for semi to open bolt for auto. If you are firing a lot of rounds on auto, that makes sense to avoid cookoff firing.
The m16 im in the proccess of getting is the forerunner of the m249 saw. Its the original colt hbar designed to be a squad weapon. Its got the m60 bipod full heavy barrel and strengthened gas tube.

My purpose is a light pkm style using beta mags instead of belts.

In shtf my wife will be running the m16 ill be using one of my precision rifles. For her she is well versed in the regular ar15 im just adding an extra feature while keeping the manual of arms the same.

I have been training her as my spotter and she is getting decent at distance estimation.

If shtf parts for a open bolt or belt fed upper wont be easy to get while parts for a standard ar upper will.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 08-26-2011, 05:18 PM   #15

Quote:
The m16 im in the proccess of getting is the forerunner of the m249 saw. Its the original colt hbar designed to be a squad weapon. Its got the m60 bipod full heavy barrel and strengthened gas tube.

My purpose is a light pkm style using beta mags instead of belts.

Then we have been on the same page and didn't realize it. Same weapon I was talking about. Fire control parts are interchangeable. My only concern is the gas system. If one of the parts goes out, you may be faced with having to convert to the standardized parts, unless you get on the batphone to Red Jacket. Some LSW parts are hard to come by. I saw a set of fire control parts on gunbroker go for about 350 smackers. Ouch. I don't know if the gas tube or gas key will interchange with current milspec M16/AR15 parts. Good luck with all of it.

Newest Threads