Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > POF or RRA

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-08-2011, 02:32 PM   #1
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 5451 Times on 2845 Posts
Likes Given: 350

Default POF or RRA

ok im looking at getting/making a machine gun grade upper (shtf) and im thinking about the POF uppers. reason being is purely for the quality of the barrel. im not a huge fan of the piston systems nor the short sight radius of the POF stuff. is there another barrel maker out there that offers a similar quality barrel in a rifle length. my other option is a heavy barrel chrome lined rifle length from RRA.

and it is going to be used on a select fire M16. this plan involves using it as a LMG in shtf type thing so weight isnt as much of an issue as it will be filling the role similar to a M249SAW. im not getting a belt fed atm due solely to the versatility of the M16 in use of multiple uppers which can be swapped out same as a MG barrel for cooling.

so im thinking i can just buy 3-4 DI chrome lined barrels and uppers with BCG for the price of ONE POF. but all i really need is one extra upper as im upgrading all of my other uppers to FA bolt carriers. so the question im undecided on is just one REALLLLLLY good upper missing the extra sight radius or a cheaper DI with a proper rifle sight radius.

or is there another brand im missing to look at??

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 04-08-2011, 03:04 PM   #2

Liked 971 Times on 682 Posts
Likes Given: 972

Jon, I would think any perceived advantages of a piston upper would be lost on a 20" barrel so wouldn't get the POF. (At least it sounds like you're wanting 20"...)

The normal reply would be get a BCM but it doesn't sound like you want the standard govt. profile (due to the thin section before the gas block?). And they seem to be out of stock now anyway. Daniel Defense and Centurion Arms don't make barrels longer than 16" (I think) so nothing special comes to mind right now. Don't know much about RRA barrels, do they have 1:7 with good steel for select fire?

Anyway, good luck and I hope someone else comes up with some good leads - and this sure sounds like FUN!

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.

Old 04-08-2011, 05:25 PM   #3

John,

Have you investigated these: Krieger Barrels

They make some of the FINEST barrels on the planet, or at least used to.

Old 04-08-2011, 05:27 PM   #4

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Noveske. Their barrels are made to M249 specs.

Old 04-08-2011, 07:32 PM   #5
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quentin View Post
Jon, I would think any perceived advantages of a piston upper would be lost on a 20" barrel so wouldn't get the POF. (At least it sounds like you're wanting 20"...)

The normal reply would be get a BCM but it doesn't sound like you want the standard govt. profile (due to the thin section before the gas block?). And they seem to be out of stock now anyway. Daniel Defense and Centurion Arms don't make barrels longer than 16" (I think) so nothing special comes to mind right now. Don't know much about RRA barrels, do they have 1:7 with good steel for select fire?

Anyway, good luck and I hope someone else comes up with some good leads - and this sure sounds like FUN!
rra does have chrome lined barrels but im not sure if its just the chamber or the whole barrel lining. their line runs 1:7 1:8 1:9 im looking for a slow twist to reduce wear. so im shooting for 1:9. and yeah i want the longer 20" or even a 16" IF it had the same sight radius as the 20".

im not a fan of piston in the m16/ar15 platform at all. i prefer to avoid it in a serious gun if i can.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodysKJ View Post
John,

Have you investigated these: Krieger Barrels

They make some of the FINEST barrels on the planet, or at least used to.
yes i have but they arent good for select fire use. they focus more on accuracy and are indeed superb barrels for target shooting

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjkeat View Post
Noveske. Their barrels are made to M249 specs.
thanks didnt know about that company it hasnt come up in my searches ill check em out. m249 spec is exactly what im looking for.

EDIT:

just looked em up their longest chrome lined M249 is a M4 carbine spec 16" :/

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Last edited by JonM; 04-08-2011 at 07:38 PM.

Old 04-08-2011, 08:10 PM   #6

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

16" Dissy type set-up would work.

The 249 I carried was the same length if not shorter than the other guys M4s. I dont remember the exact length of the barrel but Id say in the neighborhood of 14". It did more than fine out to a few hundred yards w/ a Elcan M145 (3x magnification optic).

Saw

Optic http://www.dsarms.com/Elcan-M145-Optical-Sight-M240_M249-Reticle-----ELCM145W/productinfo/ELCM145W/

Last edited by mjkeat; 04-08-2011 at 08:20 PM.

Old 04-09-2011, 03:17 AM   #7
FTF_MODERATOR.png

interesting. i need to look at the 18 and 16's a bit harder then.

im a bit old school i like the rifle length tubes and the longer sight radius. i dont really want to deal with the issues ive read about carbines having on full auto from the shorter tubes.

thats a bad ass sight. i like the MG reticle. wish i had a similar one on my issue m60

Last edited by JonM; 04-09-2011 at 03:20 AM.

Old 04-09-2011, 04:38 AM   #8

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

The bulley drop reticle was nice. We used them on our 240s as well.

Do they still use the 60?

Old 04-09-2011, 05:36 AM   #9
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjkeat View Post
The bulley drop reticle was nice. We used them on our 240s as well.

Do they still use the 60?
Yes I think the current one is the mod e3 its about the weight of a saw. I've always liked the heavier original vietnam vintage. Easier to control far more accuratethan the lighter mods. Not all units have em anymore mainly mounted troops I think

Old 04-09-2011, 02:59 PM   #10

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM View Post
Yes I think the current one is the mod e3 its about the weight of a saw. I've always liked the heavier original vietnam vintage. Easier to control far more accuratethan the lighter mods. Not all units have em anymore mainly mounted troops I think
Thats cool.

Newest Threads