Plum Crazy...
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > Plum Crazy...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-23-2012, 11:13 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 125 Times on 89 Posts

Default Plum Crazy...

What happened to them? did they go belly up already? I bought one of their lowers at my LGS last December. but now I don't see their website and the only thing I find on them are a few online stores that are selling them, and mostly reviews of them on gun forums.

Hope they're not out of business already! that means my "lifetime warranty" lasted less than 9 months! haha!

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 08-23-2012, 11:14 PM   #2

Liked 1069 Times on 752 Posts
Likes Given: 1073

Their polymer building caved in?

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.

Old 08-23-2012, 11:31 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quentin View Post
Their polymer building caved in?

That's funny!

Old 08-23-2012, 11:33 PM   #4

Liked 1069 Times on 752 Posts
Likes Given: 1073

Sorry for the joke... I looked around and can't find much either. Joe Bobs says they no longer carry PlumCrazy.

This doesn't look good. A little history off the top of my head...

There was a factory in Lake Havasu City, AZ that made polymer lowers which had a bad reputation, seems like this was 2003 and earlier. Seems like the name was Progressive or something like that. Then Bushmaster took over the plant and sold the Carbon 15 which also had a lot of complaints. BM closed the LHC plant and moved C15 manufacturing to their main Windham, ME factory then moved again to Ilion, NY. Then PlumCrazy starts selling polymer lowers out of Lake Havasu City of all places, now they're closed. I don't know anything about New Frontier but can't see any reason to go with anything but 7075-T6 receivers.

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.

Old 08-24-2012, 01:17 AM   #5

No problem on the joke.

I emailed Joe Bobs and asked if Plum Crazy is belly up or got bought out, etc. and the reply I got back was basically "beats me, last spring they just disappeared and we don't know what happened"

I bought the Plum Crazy knowing it was a risk, but it was cheap enough I figured "why not" I wanted to see how cheaply I could put together an AR and see how well it works. so far, no complaints, but only about 500 rounds through it.

When I bought it, it had a "lifetime warranty" so I figured "eh, if it breaks, oh well, I'll get another one for free!" but not if they're gone!

Looks like my course of action now is IF it breaks, buy aluminum

Old 08-24-2012, 06:17 PM   #6

Liked 238 Times on 188 Posts
Likes Given: 355

So many AR companies have gone down the crapper, it aint funny. One that comes to mind is Constitution Arms, which I beleive was out of Corpus Christi TX. It was owned by a former Colt employee.In the early '80's, he sank his savings into the company with the plan of making AR conversions to the LSW, or light support weapon. It was an open bolt M16A2, which would only fire full auto. Anyway, with the Hughes amendment, his market was completely taken away, and he wasn't set up to deal in AR's, so he had to take a loss on his business just to get out from under so much debt. I see a lot of AR's going out of business over the next couple of years.

"Democracy is two wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for dinner.
Liberty is the well-armed lamb contesting the vote." - Benjamin Franklin

Old 08-24-2012, 06:22 PM   #7

Liked 32 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 42

I am wondering if Plum Crazy is now New Frontier. There is a thread on AR-15.com where they compare the two and sans logo they look identical. The New Frontier lowers are supposed to be made of a higher grade polymer but on the same equipment as Plum Crazy. Makes me wonder if the decided it was better to be born again then come out with a Plum Crazy version 2.0 lower. Of course this is all speculation.

Old 08-24-2012, 06:36 PM   #8

Liked 1133 Times on 737 Posts
Likes Given: 2021

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sentry18 View Post
I am wondering if Plum Crazy is now New Frontier. There is a thread on AR-15.com where they compare the two and sans logo they look identical. The New Frontier lowers are supposed to be made of a higher grade polymer but on the same equipment as Plum Crazy. Makes me wonder if the decided it was better to be born again then come out with a Plum Crazy version 2.0 lower. Of course this is all speculation.
This happens alot when a company files for bankruptcy or has a lawsuit against them . Just saying , I will stick with my forged receivers from known companies

Old 08-24-2012, 06:43 PM   #9

Liked 32 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 42

I have 3 of them but two are for dedicated 22LR's so I am not concerned. I am pretty sure I am going to use the third with my 9mm upper or a 5.56 upper to just to see how much I can abuse it. As long I don't lose any digits in the process!

Old 08-24-2012, 07:08 PM   #10
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2370 Times on 1281 Posts
Likes Given: 679

They are out of business. It is rumored they were ripped off by undisclosed persons in their supply chain.

Patron Member NRA
"I would not be an old man if I had not been an armed young man." JTJ
I was taught to respect my elders but they are getting harder to find.