PLR-16...Legitimate AR?

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > PLR-16...Legitimate AR?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-07-2010, 01:47 AM   #1
KMO
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default PLR-16...Legitimate AR?

I picked up one of the small family of AR-type pistols, the Kel-Tec PLR-16. It's certainly not much like a pistol, except that it has only a 9-inch barrel. It does accept standard AR magazines. The cycling system is enough like an AR that many gun shops classify it as an AR-type pistol. It's fun to have on the range, but with that short barrel, it attracts attention because of its loud bark. Anyone have one?

"In God We Trust"
www.SunflowerAmmo.com
www.Mo-Rod.com

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 04-07-2010, 03:19 AM   #2
Crazy Azz Redneck
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1245 Times on 707 Posts
Likes Given: 591

I have had one for several years.What a blast to shoot,and also pretty accurate with decent ammo.
You are right,they are VERY LOUD to shoot,and it is not to be fired without good hearing protection,unless you never want to hear again!

Old 04-13-2010, 12:19 PM   #3

Default Plastic ??

I read that the receiver on this gun is plastic. Does anyone have any experience with this in a bad way? I have been thinking of getting one, but the plastic part gives me a little concern as to how well it can handle less than gentle treatment.

Old 04-13-2010, 12:44 PM   #4
KMO

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Well, ever since the Glock popularized plastic guns, the terminolgy has shifted to "polymer" as the accepted jargon. Yes, the PLR has a polymer receiver, as do so many other modern tactical weapons. I wouldn't let that be a concern...it seems to be a great design (very dependable). Plastics have come a long way...

"In God We Trust"
www.SunflowerAmmo.com
www.Mo-Rod.com

Old 04-13-2010, 01:28 PM   #5

Great point - hadn't thought about the glock. Thanks for the reply!

Old 04-16-2010, 03:41 AM   #6
Crazy Azz Redneck
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1245 Times on 707 Posts
Likes Given: 591

I have shot several thousand rounds out of mine and it is still like new. I'm taking it to the Tx. Meet & Greet so everyone there can try it out this weekend. They are just too much fun to shoot,but loud as hell.

Old 04-23-2010, 07:05 AM   #7

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

That's a very cool pistol, now I'm even thinking of getting one. As to the question of whether it can be called a "legitimate AR", I don't think so. "AR-Style" would certainly be accurate for sure, but "legitimate AR" would be a stretch. While there are gas piston AR's out there, this one is almost SCAR like in it's design, and I certainly wouldn't call a SCAR a normal member of the AR family, more a member of it's own family. I think the PLR-16 would fit better in the SCAR family then the AR family, not counting magazine compatibility.

Old 05-04-2010, 07:26 PM   #8

Default No Steel

Ok, so I got one. It's a great little gun. Just before taking it out to shoot, I noticed an FAQ about the gun mentioning not to shoot steel, only brass.

Shoots great. Fun little gun.

Old 05-04-2010, 07:32 PM   #9
KMO

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I don't know if you are able to, but if you take it out at dusk or dawn, you'll discover this gun is quite a fire-breather also, even with a flash hider on it. I've never tried steel casings, but it's good to know they recommend against it.

"In God We Trust"
www.SunflowerAmmo.com
www.Mo-Rod.com