Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > Please recommend........

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-04-2011, 07:31 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default Please recommend........

The best value for the money in a...........

1) Bipod.

I am 6'3. Most of my shooting will be from the bench and laying prone, so height range advice will help me also...... 6"-9", 9"-13" etc etc. Probably 20 round magazine length only but possibly 30 rd length as well. While I want durability and light weight, I really want something that has great stability. All the ones I have seen are around $140 or so....seems pretty steep. Anything really good in the $80 range?

2.) 10/20 5.56 magazines in flat black. I live in Kalifornia so I like the 10 round legal ones that LOOK like 20 round mags and I like the straight as opposed to the curved look. I like the metal ones but they don't have to be.

Is it possible to buy magazines converted to CA legal 10 round magazines which could easily be MODIFIED back to 20 or 30 rounders? Just remove a stop device or something? You know......in case they lift that 10 round ban one day, so you don't have to repurchase magazines again.

3.) Fully Adjustable Sniper buttstock in black. Any really decent ones not $200 or more?

4.) White light and mount kit.

5.) Best trigger group ass'y for precision shooting.

Also, I want to remove the buffer tube to fit a Magpul ASAP 360º sling mount. I notice the castellated nut is staked. Should I order a new one prior to doing this, and re-stake it.......or will Blue Loctite be okay?

Thanks all.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 11-05-2011, 03:34 AM   #2

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Larue bipods

PMags - JoBobs sells some modified PMags I believe

Magpul PRS

If it's a bench gun you shouldn't really need a light.

Timmney

You won't need a new nut but it will be somewhat mared.

Old 11-05-2011, 06:46 AM   #3

Liked 42 Times on 33 Posts
Likes Given: 70

Never thought I would end up keeping the UTG bipod I got for about $30, it was meant to get me by till I made up my mind on some others I was looking at. Now I have fell in love with it. Can't see getting another unless it breaks.

The PRS stock is heavy but I wouldn't trade it for the world. The accushot monopod is expensive for what it is, but again, I can't see not having it now that I do.

The UTG bipod and short mono pod are perfect for eachother for the adjustment range of the monopod.

I also have the Timney 3lb skeletonised trigger and I will be putting it in my other AR as well. There just isn't a word that can describe how much I love it.

I am also 6'5" and usually shoot this rifle in the prone position with deadly results.

Old 11-05-2011, 06:25 PM   #4

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Thanks nathantc.

Nice looking rifle on top. Well, both nice, I like the top one though. That picture makes me want to ask a lot of questions. Sorry.......

Is that a Bushmaster 24" Varmint or the 20" Predator fluted barrel? I ask because those Bushy uppers are both on sale near me right now. Or is it something else?

Is that the Magpul stock? Looks awesome. I need an extra inch or so on the stock to make me comfortable. If you were to bounce that rifle down to a basic AR and removed the scope etc put on the stock BUIS........if you reset that stock back to default, would it still be comfortable to use and a regular stock?

What height bipod do you find most comfy for you, for prone and on the bench? Is 6"-9" okay?

What cap mag with the sniper setup....20rd? Do you use the stock lifter thingy because of the magazine length or would you use it anyway, even if you only had a 10rd shorty in there?

Old 11-05-2011, 08:51 PM   #5
Crazy Azz Redneck
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1155 Times on 667 Posts
Likes Given: 556

I have 6 of these bipods,and they hold up very well.They also have a lifetime warranty,and the seller in local for me.I have dealt with them personally,so have no worries about buying from them.

6" - 9" Rifle Bipod With Lifetime Warranty New! | eBay

I've tried several aftermarket triggers,and always go back to the RRA 2 stage NM trigger.It's good and always works.

Old 11-05-2011, 09:45 PM   #6

Liked 42 Times on 33 Posts
Likes Given: 70

Yes its a magpul PRS stock, and the bipod where I have it set at is 7" from ground to bottom of the hand guard.

It started out as a complete ASA AR-15 with 24" stainless bull barrel but I went down to the 24" bushmaster barrel for some thing accurate but lighter than 8lbs by its self.

It would be OK with an A2 stock, but I like the extra weight in the stock that the PRS gives, it helps the balance.

i have 2 cut down 5rd and 10rd Magpul Pmags and 2 20rd pmags. that i use with this rifle.

Just today I changed over to an Armalight mount (its .5" lower) and an extended hand guard (4"longer) cause I like the bipod closer to the end of the barrel. When shooting from prone I hold steady better this way.

Old 11-06-2011, 01:11 AM   #7

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Great info thanks.

I think the 1:7 twist 16" barrel that came stock with my LMT CQB MRP is a very nice one.....very accurate.

If I were to go to one of the Bushy uppers to get a longer barrel for hitting stuff further out....which would you recommend?

The 1:9 twist 24" or the 1:8 twist 20"?

I was wondering, if it would be a better choice to get the complete longer barrel Bushmaster upper, rather than buying just a longer barrel for the LMT? That way it distributes round count between two systems and that way I do not need to disturb the barrel on the LMT.

Plus I don't know what issues I might run into once it gets down to actually pulling the stock barrel to replace it. Seems to me there is always something that crops up.

Going to check out the EBay link now Txhillbilly. Thanks.

Thanks for all the help.

LOL...nathantc......I like the 5 shot group on the license plate.

Last edited by Fumbles; 11-06-2011 at 03:13 AM.

Old 11-06-2011, 03:27 AM   #8

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

1:7 20 or 18 for a nice user friendly rifle.