Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > Planning an AR-10 build (dealing with FFL's question)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-22-2010, 03:24 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Planning an AR-10 build (dealing with FFL's question)

I have never dealt with an FFL on when dealing with orders from internet sources, i am looking at getting a complete Armalite lower. and i am not sure as to what kind of markups or fees i will get, any advice? any impressions from illinois?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 09-22-2010, 04:36 AM   #2

Liked 17 Times on 12 Posts

Most FFL's charge a transfer fee. All you need to do is ask your FFL. Check with many different ones as there is no standard charge. Also ask if there are any other charges beyond the transfer. Around me, the charge is anywhere from $25 to $40 bucks for a transfer. I found out that one guy charges a 5% stocking fee and a fee to receive. I bet he does not do many transfers.

Another thing to look at is whether the gun/receiver you are ordering is legal in your state/county/city. Illinois is not very gun friendly. I hope this helps.

If you can take the time, stop by the Introductions Thread and introduce yourself to the forum members. They are very welcoming and extremely helpful to those who want to learn.

From C3Shooter:
Skullcrusher, you are evil, sick, demented, twisted- and my hero!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandamonium View Post
...without the Second, we cannot protect the rest!

Old 09-22-2010, 02:31 PM   #3

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Do you know any gunsmiths with whom you are friendly? If so, ask him if he has an FFL. If he does have an FFL you could run your serial numbered parts across his books and you would both be doing each other a favor. People who have FFL papers need to generate a number of sales each year otherwise the ATF will try to recall their FFL papers. This recall is a very common event when a certain political party controls Congress/White House because they want to limit or reduce the number of FFL holders out there in their anti-gun efforts. They figure if you have nowhere to go to buy guns then nobody will have guns and they win in that manner. What part of Illinois are you? I'm in Peoria.

Old 09-23-2010, 12:28 AM   #4

This is just an opinion mixed with some info. If you have an AR-15 lower you can save 300 or more bucks on this deal. First if you want more power in an AR platform you can read my thread labeled ".300 OSSM", which uses the standard -15 lower but has a little more velocity than a .30-06 with the same bullets. You can get an upper in this caliber for 900$ and no FFL is needed. It ships to your door. Yeah, it's cool. I wouldn't get a AR-10 for the extra power, cause that's now in the AR-15. But like I said this is my opinion, you need to get what you want and be happy with it and have no regrets.

Old 09-23-2010, 05:13 AM   #5

im really just a recoil junkie and would like a combat carbine with a bit more bump then the old familiar ar-15, and seeing as how i doubt ill be able to get my hands on any OTHER .308 combat rifles, may as well buy an AR in the parts installment plan

Old 09-23-2010, 10:52 PM   #6

"Bump", and "thump" - .450 Bushmaster, .458 SOCOM, .50 Beowulf, .300 OSSM... see it's there.

Old 09-25-2010, 05:58 AM   #7

meh, lower mag cap and expensive as all hell

Old 09-25-2010, 10:31 AM   #8

Default I'm a FFL

I ask for a $25 donation.
I also ask for a POC at the internet store (name, fone# and email address).
When the weapon comes in I call the donator, they come over, I do a NICS and complete the affair. NOTE - if you don't pass NICS you don't get the weapon (this hasn't happened to any donators yet). But I explain this to them before anything happens.