Piston vs. Gas for SBR 300 blackout

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > Piston vs. Gas for SBR 300 blackout

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-04-2014, 02:21 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 11 Times on 9 Posts

Default Piston vs. Gas for SBR 300 blackout

So clearly this is an age old argument that boils down to a cost/benefit relationship, but this one is for a specific purpose. The gun is supposed to be a trail rifle that'll probably get dragged a long freakin' way through alaskan backwoods. Ideally I'd like it to get out to 400 yards til it gets boring, which isn't a terrible long ways, but it's 300blk, it doesn't go much farther. Is the slight cost in accuracy worth the increase in reliability, or should I just go traditional on this one? I will be using handloads, and God knows what they'll be made of.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 02-04-2014, 02:26 AM   #2

On a side note, should I bother with a higher grade barrel than Wilson combat? I'm kinda leaning towards no.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Firearms Talk mobile app

Old 02-04-2014, 02:46 AM   #3

Liked 1109 Times on 657 Posts
Likes Given: 348

Don't think of it as an accuracy vs reliability argument because to me that's not what it comes down to, they will both be accurate and reliable.

I have an AR in piston and in DI. It comes down to laziness I paid a bit more for my piston version and it requires less cleaning, it was worth it to me. It's a good 10-15 minutes of time savings per range visit to me. Your mileage may vary based on usage.

"Good people drink good beer."
Hunter S. Thompson

Old 02-04-2014, 03:11 AM   #4

I guess I'm probably not going to use it for 3 gun or competition. It's a work gun at the end of the day. As long as it can hit said 400 yard target of expected size, I don't really care. It'll probably be sub MOA anyways. But again, it's going to being dirty, cheap reloads most the time, so reliability is somewhat key.

Old 02-04-2014, 03:26 AM   #5
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5634 Times on 2944 Posts
Likes Given: 372

Quote:
Originally Posted by WannaBeVagabomd View Post
So clearly this is an age old argument that boils down to a cost/benefit relationship, but this one is for a specific purpose. The gun is supposed to be a trail rifle that'll probably get dragged a long freakin' way through alaskan backwoods. Ideally I'd like it to get out to 400 yards til it gets boring, which isn't a terrible long ways, but it's 300blk, it doesn't go much farther. Is the slight cost in accuracy worth the increase in reliability, or should I just go traditional on this one? I will be using handloads, and God knows what they'll be made of.
considering that i firmly believe there is a decrease in reliability in going with a piston add-in kit for a firearm that wasnt meant to have one... get the di gas tube. its simple rugged ultra reliable and if the gas system on a di gun goes poof for whatever reason it will still function as a bolt gun does.

most piston systems will not without digging into the guts of the thing to remove the piston parts.

gas pistons your adding in proprietary extra uneeded parts replacing a proven reliable system with more moving parts.

extensive testing has not proven that pistons in ar15 are more reliable. some are even in reliability to direct impingement others are worse. none are better.

adding a piston system to an ar15 pretty much always shifts the rifle from being balanced correctly to being nose heavy and difficult to point.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 02-04-2014, 04:00 AM   #6

Well, to be fair, the guns going to be rather unbalanced by nature, with most the weight sitting on the reciever. The reciever is a bit heavier than standard, and the handguard is a lightweight keymod. A scope being mounted doesn't help. Other that that sounds like a pretty solid argument against using it. Frankly when I shot a piston driven, the recoil it put out (especially considering it was a mouse round) didn't impress me. I was going to compensate with a muzzle brake, so I wasn't too concerned, but why bother?
On a side note, I was planning on getting a Saker 7.62 from Silencerco in a year or two, and was wondering if anyone knew if I could mount the muzzle brake without any special parts in advance. The way they describe it is confusing. I don't know if I need a MAAD mount or what.

Old 02-06-2014, 08:33 PM   #7

Liked 220 Times on 173 Posts
Likes Given: 293

Even though I have built more pistons than most on this forum, if you have to ask the group which one to go with, you are probably better off with a DI. I shoot a lot of pretty dirty ammo,(Russian steel) and my piston cuts down the clean up time considerably. That in mind, a properly built DI system will serve you well. Two issues to consider that can give you problems : 1. Improperly staked gas key. 2. Poorly lined up barrel nut pushing on the gas tube. Both of those issues can cause gas leaks, which is what has created most of the anti-DI crowd. I don't know much about the blackout as far as how big of a percentage is interchangeable with the .223/5.56, IE the gas tube, BCG, etc.. I keep spare parts for my piston systems, but I have so far only installed them on 5.56 and AK round AR's. Not knowledgeable enough on the blackouts to say what impact putting a piston on one would be.

"Democracy is two wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for dinner.
Liberty is the well-armed lamb contesting the vote." - Benjamin Franklin

Old 02-11-2014, 02:53 PM   #8

Liked 54 Times on 43 Posts

This conversation is irrelevant. There are no good working SBR piston systems for the 300 blackout. Arak makes one but from what I have read, it gets very picky with sub sonics but runs supersonics well. They only make a 12" version for SBR.

All other 300 blackout manufacturers, and there are a lot of them, run DI. Even the companies that tout piston systems build only DI blackouts. Piston conversion kits do not work.

Sent from my iPad using Firearms Talk