Piston power
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > Piston power

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-16-2010, 08:51 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Piston power

So I just ordered my CMMG piston upper. I plan on building an M4 knock off with it on my current CMMG lower. Anyone have advice on piston driven AR's to impart to a noob? I plan on swapping the plastic handguard for a quad rail of some kind, but I need to get it in my hands and see what will fit first. I really dig the look of the Vltor CASV rail system, but I'm not sure it will clear the piston setup. Not to mention it's not cheap.

Last edited by russ; 01-16-2010 at 09:08 PM.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-16-2010, 10:23 PM   #2

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I'm not sure I understand the question. You say you have ordered a CMMG PISTON upper, is that a Complete Upper assembly or parts? So if its a complete upper, all you have to do is put it on and push in the two pins.

What advice are you seeking?

Old 01-16-2010, 10:51 PM   #3

Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts

Think he wants to know if standard aftermarket quadrails and handguards will fit on a piston driven upper or if special handguards are needed to clear the piston assembly.

----------Gate
It's time to burn it down

Old 01-16-2010, 11:07 PM   #4

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatekeeper View Post
Think he wants to know if standard aftermarket quadrails and handguards will fit on a piston driven upper or if special handguards are needed to clear the piston assembly.
Ahhh...I see. Well, first you'd have to wait until you get that upper in hand to see how much room you have. Oh wait, you said that. OR...you could call in to CMMG, and ask their Gurus what will and won't fit. That will at least get you in the ball park.

And yes, Vltor does cost. Most of the upper brands will. Know that even brands like Yankee Hill or Midwest will run you around $140 and up for free float rails. As you go up the ladder, Daniel Defense, Troy, Vltor, etc, will start quite a bit more. So you could say "Nice = PRICE"

Old 01-16-2010, 11:17 PM   #5

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

I have ordered it and expect it here by the end of next week. I guess on the advice thing I was looking for maintenance or issues unique to piston setups. I've read about the carrier tilt issue and it seems that some carriers have the issue while others don't.

Old 01-26-2010, 03:07 AM   #6

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default piston upper

Russ always go with a piston system if available, bolt and bolt carrier run cooler and cleaner as the piston keeps the burnt powder and hot gasses out of the bolt carrier. They just work more often than the gas inpungment systems of the standard AR-15/M-16 and no small tube to get clogged with unburnt powder to cause a stoppage. After more that 30 years in the Army I learned to hate the M-16, so I shoot the SIG 556, and the new ruger SR556 looks good and now everyone is making a piston upper. After you put the upper on the lower you will have to see what will fit.

Old 01-31-2010, 06:33 AM   #7

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Class273 View Post
Could a guy put a CMMG piston upper on a "your brand here" lower and go shooting post haste?

As to the OP, I think if you look around at different rail manufactures they will often note if their setups are piston system compatible.
You can absolutely put the piston upper on any mil-spec lower and go shoot.

As far as rails go, what I want is a longer rail that will extend out past the front gas block, but I'll have to wait until I get it in my grubby little hands to see how big the cut out needs to be to clear the gas block. My local guy is having trouble bringing one in, so I'm still waiting impatiently.

Old 01-31-2010, 03:44 PM   #8

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Class273 View Post
I have been told that if a bolt or upper has several thousand rounds thru it and you add in a new upper or a new bolt there can be issues. In essesnce, one is broken in while the other isn't relative to one another. Thoughts?
I can see where you might have issues putting a new BCG in a well worn upper and vice versa, but that shouldn't be a problem since the piston upper is complete with bolt, carrier, barrel, and upper receiver. And since we're talking about adding the complete upper to an older lower, I wouldn't anticipate any problems.

Old 01-31-2010, 09:41 PM   #9
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5797 Times on 3027 Posts
Likes Given: 397

you can pretty much use any upper on any lower exepmpting things like .308 caliber AR's. my SR556 Panther M4 and Colt SP1 and olympic arms .45ACP upper all swap out and around just fine altho i have to use special offset pins to join the SP1 to milspec uppers.

the only problem i have witht he SR556 is that my CMMG .22lr conversion does NOT work with the ruger upper.

Old 02-02-2010, 06:43 AM   #10

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

No big deal.