Piston conversion vs accuracy????
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > Piston conversion vs accuracy????

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-22-2011, 09:50 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 42 Times on 33 Posts
Likes Given: 70

Default Piston conversion vs accuracy????

I very much so like the idea of keeping things cleaner longer, I only wonder if this will hurt accuracy at all.

I am going to do this to my 16" set up, but IM thinking of doing it to my 24" set up as well. It would be nice for it to stay almost spotless after a few mags.

Does any one here have a piston AR-15 personally. Not just some one who knows a guy LOL or read some thing some where. IM looking for some one with real hands on experience that has went threw 100s of rounds not just a mag or two.

I have seen one on a full auto lower and it ran good, but do u end up with an AR-15 looking AK, in terms of accuracy.

The reason I ask is that its attached to the barrel and its more moving parts.

For those who don't know this is not like the system used in the AK47/74, its closer to what is used in an SKS or true SVD not a PSL or romak.

So this system has been tried and proven on some very useful rifles. DI systems were designed with accuracy in mind and it works, but its filthy.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 10-22-2011, 10:02 PM   #2

i found this, there is a change in MOA at 200 yards, from this M&P-15 in this vid

and here is just some simple info on the two for thouse who dont know or havent really looked in to this system

Last edited by Nathantc; 10-22-2011 at 10:26 PM.

Old 10-23-2011, 12:22 AM   #3
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5512 Times on 2879 Posts
Likes Given: 358

had a sr556 from ruger. it was 100% reliable. butttttt.... it was closer to a ak47 than a ar15 in accuracy. was it due to the piston or just typical schlock ruger ?? i dunno. but i wasnt happy with it for that and a few other annoying reasons. ended up trading it off for a 1903A3

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 10-23-2011, 02:12 AM   #4

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

I have an LWRC that is very accurate. I have put 1 or 2 rounds through it, however they have been at 100yds or less.

It recoils differently then the others but shoots straight and smooth. My only beef is the thing was $2k before adding the rail, stock, optic, etc... I could have had 2 BCMs instead.

I wonder how the piston rod effects the free float aspect.

I just don't see how us semi only guys can benefit from the piston system.

Old 10-23-2011, 02:55 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjkeat View Post
I have an LWRC that is very accurate. I have put 1 or 2 rounds through it, however they have been at 100yds or less.

It recoils differently then the others but shoots straight and smooth. My only beef is the thing was $2k before adding the rail, stock, optic, etc... I could have had 2 BCMs instead.

I wonder how the piston rod effects the free float aspect.

I just don't see how us semi only guys can benefit from the piston system.
For me it would be flexibility, good ammo runs clean any way and wont need much cleaning, but cheap ammo is filthy and DI guns will suffer with cheap ammo.

I want to have my accuracy when hunting but I want to run wolf or tula when just getting trigger time, if that makes sense.

The piston system would be more reliable and require less maintenance when running crap ammo.

If any one here want to make the comment that they only use the best ammo at all times than one of two things is happening here, your have to much money, or not enough trigger time.

Old 10-23-2011, 03:11 AM   #6

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

I like that last comment lol.

How much ammo do you plan to put through your rifle in a range trip?

Also think about the guys who could be coming to the end of their loadout as we type. Our loadout was a few hundred rounds. They are using M4s w/ DI gas systems as have the thousands before them.

I burnt up almost half a case of Tula today in my DD. I did have my first malfunction, a FTE which might be a result of me experimenting w/ a new lube technique.

It is sitting in it's case at my feet waiting for the boresnake as I type. I guess I'm dumb to any extra work required to run "cheap" ammo in a DI gun.

My point is that the DI system is a great and reliable system.

Old 10-23-2011, 03:28 AM   #7

It is, but the thing that made me love my 74 was that I never cleaned it but about once every 4 or 5 thousand rounds, all I did was use a dry lube on all moving parts and just have fun.

Both of my ar's are DI guns and even after one mag (30rds) the carrier, bolt, and firing pin are dirty enough to leave black crap on my hands. Idk, I clean them after every use, no matter how many rounds I fire. That said my sks that I have I have had sense I was 16, all I have ever done is oil it. Still never gives me a lick of trouble.

As for how many rounds in a range trip, I don't go to a range, IM in the country on 20acrs of land and I shoot just about every day, yes I burn up a lot of ammo.

I buy wal-mart out of ammo every time I need ammo. I know I can buy in bulk online but if u do the math, wal-mart is cheaper after shipping.

Its just some thing that would be nice, if a piston system can be accurate.

I know its possible cause this beast is accurate, and piston driven.
AR15 in .338 | GunBlog.com - Your source for all things Guns

Old 10-23-2011, 04:04 AM   #8

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

By all means get a piston upper.

Old 10-23-2011, 04:12 AM   #9

i think im going to try the osprey conversion on that varminter barrel and see how it does, if it dont work guess ill have it for my 20" 7.62x39 build

Old 10-23-2011, 04:29 AM   #10

A lot of the points have been covered, but there are 2 things that I want to add.

#1 Piston ARs don't run cleaner than DI guns. The bcg of piston systems runs cleaner, but all the fouling that would have been in the bolt is simply transferred to the piston, and then some. So the fouling isn't less, it's just in a different spot.

#2 Those ARs in 338 and 300 WM are totally different piston systems than what you'll find on anything else. Because the receivers are so long, they are able to put the piston in the receiver above the bcg, getting it off the barrel and thus virtually eliminating any bad barrel harmonics it would have caused They actually have a gas block and gas tube similar to a DI gun.

IMO, for my application, DI is a better system for a semi-auto rifle.

-Fred

"Breathe when you can, shoot when you should."
-Rob Leatham

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

"Qui desiderat pacem, bellum praeparat; nemo provocare ne offendere audet quem intelliget superiorem esse pugnaturem"