Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > Pistol upper in house with other AR rifles

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-06-2012, 05:08 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 27 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 18

Default Pistol upper in house with other AR rifles

Are there any legal ramifications to owning (or even ordering) an AR pistol upper in a home where other AR rifles are present, not being assembled? I have multiple AR lower rifle platforms, would like to order a few pistol parts, but not interested in completing a pistol until a later time. I would be fine with storing the pistol uppers in a different location such as a storage unit if that is okay.

Also, has anyone ever grease packed their AR with cosmoline or anything like it? What would you recommend?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 10-07-2012, 05:45 PM   #2

Liked 208 Times on 148 Posts
Likes Given: 10

In the same house would be constructive possession in this situation, C3 may stop by with a more informative response.

------------Space Not for Hire.-----------

Old 10-07-2012, 08:04 PM   #3

Liked 54 Times on 43 Posts

Having a pistol length upper in the same house as a non SBR registered, non pistol lower is viewed as intent to build an illegal SBR. Keep it in a separate building.
I'm getting ready to build an AR pistol and will be making the lower and register it(per state law) before I even think about assembling a pistol upper.

Old 10-07-2012, 08:07 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by msup752 View Post
Having a pistol length upper in the same house as a non SBR registered, non pistol lower is viewed as intent to build an illegal SBR. Keep it in a separate building.
I'm getting ready to build an AR pistol and will be making the lower and register it(per state law) before I even think about assembling a pistol upper.
So this applies even if there are unassembled pistol lowers in the home as well, if there are other rifles lowers in the home ?

Old 10-07-2012, 08:16 PM   #5

Liked 208 Times on 148 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by slog

So this applies even if there are unassembled pistol lowers in the home as well, if there are other rifles lowers in the home ?
Until the pistol lower is assembled this is correct

------------Space Not for Hire.-----------

Old 10-07-2012, 08:20 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by pagj17 View Post
Until the pistol lower is assembled this is correct
Thanks for the info. Guess I'll skip buying pistol parts. I'm doing some preemptive buys in case of a ban. Not really worth breaking any laws by accident.

Old 10-07-2012, 10:42 PM   #7
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5451 Times on 2845 Posts
Likes Given: 350

You can store the pistol upper on the moon and the atf considers it constructive intent.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

People Like This 
Old 10-07-2012, 10:46 PM   #8
The only democracy and friend in the region
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Location: Eatonville,Washington. My nearest neighbors are cows.
Liked 1726 Times on 958 Posts
Likes Given: 5263

These are good points.
I have been looking at pistol lowers (clearly marked pistol) and, indeed, would pick this up first. Although the laws are screwy, I don't want to violate them. I value my right to keep and bear arms and would not want to run afoul of a law.

I will say tho, that there are so many frickin laws, it's hard to know them all.
I think this is one of the reasons why our forefathers were so smart to say "infringed"; even tho' many of these laws seem to "infringe"

Old 10-08-2012, 02:06 AM   #9
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5451 Times on 2845 Posts
Likes Given: 350

a good solution is to just buy a pistol lower and have done with it if you want to get the upper while waiting on the sbr stamp.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 10-08-2012, 04:52 AM   #10
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 3 reviews

Liked 209 Times on 181 Posts
Likes Given: 63

Or you can get a complete polymer pistol lower by New Frontier Armory, to park the SBR upper. I think its less than $150.