Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   AR-15 Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f20/)
-   -   Pistol upper in house with other AR rifles (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f20/pistol-upper-house-other-ar-rifles-73817/)

slog 10-06-2012 05:08 PM

Pistol upper in house with other AR rifles

Are there any legal ramifications to owning (or even ordering) an AR pistol upper in a home where other AR rifles are present, not being assembled? I have multiple AR lower rifle platforms, would like to order a few pistol parts, but not interested in completing a pistol until a later time. I would be fine with storing the pistol uppers in a different location such as a storage unit if that is okay.

Also, has anyone ever grease packed their AR with cosmoline or anything like it? What would you recommend?

pagj17 10-07-2012 05:45 PM

In the same house would be constructive possession in this situation, C3 may stop by with a more informative response.

msup752 10-07-2012 08:04 PM

Having a pistol length upper in the same house as a non SBR registered, non pistol lower is viewed as intent to build an illegal SBR. Keep it in a separate building.
I'm getting ready to build an AR pistol and will be making the lower and register it(per state law) before I even think about assembling a pistol upper.

slog 10-07-2012 08:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by msup752 (Post 967920)
Having a pistol length upper in the same house as a non SBR registered, non pistol lower is viewed as intent to build an illegal SBR. Keep it in a separate building.
I'm getting ready to build an AR pistol and will be making the lower and register it(per state law) before I even think about assembling a pistol upper.

So this applies even if there are unassembled pistol lowers in the home as well, if there are other rifles lowers in the home ?

pagj17 10-07-2012 08:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by slog

So this applies even if there are unassembled pistol lowers in the home as well, if there are other rifles lowers in the home ?

Until the pistol lower is assembled this is correct

slog 10-07-2012 08:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pagj17 (Post 967933)
Until the pistol lower is assembled this is correct

Thanks for the info. Guess I'll skip buying pistol parts. I'm doing some preemptive buys in case of a ban. Not really worth breaking any laws by accident.

JonM 10-07-2012 10:42 PM

You can store the pistol upper on the moon and the atf considers it constructive intent.

KG7IL 10-07-2012 10:46 PM

These are good points.
I have been looking at pistol lowers (clearly marked pistol) and, indeed, would pick this up first. Although the laws are screwy, I don't want to violate them. I value my right to keep and bear arms and would not want to run afoul of a law.

I will say tho, that there are so many frickin laws, it's hard to know them all.
I think this is one of the reasons why our forefathers were so smart to say "infringed"; even tho' many of these laws seem to "infringe"

JonM 10-08-2012 02:06 AM

a good solution is to just buy a pistol lower and have done with it if you want to get the upper while waiting on the sbr stamp.

okdonk 10-08-2012 04:52 AM

Or you can get a complete polymer pistol lower by New Frontier Armory, to park the SBR upper. I think its less than $150.