Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > Pictures of lower receivers

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-26-2011, 05:17 AM   #71
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjkeat View Post
The only good thing about that rifle is the Daniel Defense lower parts kit.

I'd pass, especially for $850. I wouldn't touch the thing. You don't know how well the thing was assemble or what parts were used. These ARs are often referred to as "Bubba Guns" for a reason. Not saying assembling your own AR is bad but buying one is a crap shoot.

Also I would look for a Wylde chambered AR if you're wanting to target shoot for groups. I prefer 5.56 myself as I shoot for minute of man at closer distances in rapid fashion.

Recap: Avoid this firearm like the plague and get yourself something actually worth the $850 like a Spikes or BCM or save a little cash and get a PSA which is Mil-Spec and has so far proven itself well worth its already great price tag.
"Bubba Guns" - thats funny. Thanks for keeping me out of trouble. I looked at Spikes, and it seemed they were all 16" bbls. I was pretty much convinced I wanted a LONG rifle. 20" stainless? I always thought for accuracy, longer was better. The author of said disertation seemed to recommend CMMG. I haven't even looked yet.

I'd spent quite a bit of time reading a great post entitled "So you want to buy an AR-15, huh?". I learned a lot.

Anyway - thank you for all the advice and talking sense to me. Even though I'm not a kid (well, I'm a 50 year old kid, I guess), I tend to lack patience, buy on impulse and am easily swayed by "the cool factor". AR-15s are tough because there are SO many and even the biggest POS is apt to get me breathing heavy because of some cool gadget on a rail.

All that said, I came to this topic because I'd read that buying a upper and lower on different days was a good thing to do. On the other hand, see abouve abotu patience. Off the shelf and directly to the range is attractive to me as well. :-)

Ciao for now, and thanks again!

Old 08-27-2011, 04:27 AM   #72

Liked 61 Times on 46 Posts
Likes Given: 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffCooper View Post
I'm sorry, but that Plum Crazy is just TOO cool!!
Yes, I thought I would break it before I got much use out of it but this Plum Crazy lower has surprised me it is really solid.
Everybody at the range laughs at my plastic gun but they don't laugh it the glock or other guns with composite technology I guess just because it is new.

Old 08-27-2011, 11:15 AM   #73

The truth of the matter is there is most likely nothing wrong with that "Bubba Gun" but the price is a bit high. A lot of sellers will start out high because you can always go down in price ... but you can't go up. AR's are like Lego's and its pretty tough to **** one up ... alot of people are "building" a stripped lower and a parts kit that anyone can put together with a hammer and screwdriver ... and in realiaty most are just buying completed uppers and pinning the halves together.
No rocket science here.

There is this site called AR15.com ... it has more info there than you could ever ask for.

My advise is buy quality once ... and not have to replace it later.
PlumCrazy lowers are like Bic lighters. That being said, I've seen Aluminum lowers break right at the front pin or where the buffer tube (also called the rear extension) screws into the lower, I've avoided the plastic lowers.

I don't think its just the firearms industry but it seems like I see this more often about firearms than anywhere else ... just about every time a Plumb Crazy (or whatever new gadget) post shows up, the poster is new, and/or trying to pinch pennys ... and most of the time in the poster is either trying to justify the purchase or turned out to be directly or indirectly related to the company.

The same tactic is pulled on other sites as well, but it always goes something like this:

"Has anyone heard of Plumb Crazy Lowers? I'm from CA/NV and this totally obscure plastic firearms manufacturing is the sole reason I have come to this site and I wanted to solicit opinions on quality and price."

Then, a few posts later:

"I got one and it is great, best lower I've ever come across. You guys should check it out."

I bet you can guess which way I think this thread is going.

If you really want something, you'll find a way ...
... if you don't, you'll find an excuse.

kimberkid ... the user formerly known as skydriver.

Last edited by kimberkid; 08-27-2011 at 11:22 AM.

Old 08-27-2011, 01:55 PM   #74
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1174 Times on 654 Posts
Likes Given: 472

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimberkid View Post
There is this site called AR15.com ... it has more info there than you could ever ask for.

aka ARF.com

Old 08-27-2011, 07:46 PM   #75

Liked 971 Times on 682 Posts
Likes Given: 972

We're drifting off topic here guys. This thread is just to display various lower receivers to help people who are shopping around.

If you want to continue on Plum Crazy pluses and minuses please start a new thread instead of cluttering up a stickie.

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.

Old 09-25-2011, 06:32 AM   #76

Liked 42 Times on 33 Posts
Likes Given: 70

Axts AX556
AX556 Available for Preorder | AXTS Weapons Systems

Old 09-26-2011, 04:31 AM   #77

ASA

and mine close up with some extras

Last edited by Nathantc; 09-27-2011 at 01:08 AM.

Old 09-26-2011, 11:16 PM   #78

Old 09-27-2011, 10:01 PM   #79

im thinking of swaping this

for this
LWSF Matched Billet Upper and Lower Pair - LOKI Weapon Systems
just dont know if its worth the $$$, but damn i love the looks of this set

Last edited by Nathantc; 09-28-2011 at 03:19 AM.

Old 09-28-2011, 02:14 PM   #80

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Well its nice to know i'm not the only person rocking a Spike's lower.

I'm thinking about duracoating it when I get my upper but havn't decided for sure yet.

img_3633x2.jpg  

Last edited by TacticalPrecision; 09-28-2011 at 02:22 PM.