Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > Pictures of lower receivers

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-14-2011, 01:29 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 972 Times on 683 Posts
Likes Given: 972

Default Pictures of lower receivers

Looking at the beautiful picture of a stripped RRA lower VitSports6 posted in another thread I got thinking a thread with good pictures of lowers might be very helpful for anyone starting a new build. Might as well see what's out there before choosing just anything!

Hopefully VitSports6 will add that picture here and I'll start with some I have.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 02-14-2011, 01:31 AM   #2

ArmaLite M15

Old 02-14-2011, 01:33 AM   #3

S&W M&P-15

Old 02-14-2011, 01:34 AM   #4

Charles Daly CDD-15

Old 02-14-2011, 03:04 AM   #5
Ain't she sweet?
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 6959 Times on 4187 Posts
Likes Given: 8374

I'm new to guns and learning. I now see what a lower receiver is. What makes them different? Just looks or do they offer different sorts of shooting? Please be patient, I am very new to guns.

Old 02-14-2011, 04:16 AM   #6

Spikes

TNW

Old 02-14-2011, 04:29 AM   #7

Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quentin View Post

Hopefully VitSports6 will add that picture here and I'll start with some I have.

Its not my pic, I did a quick google search and viola'

Old 02-14-2011, 04:59 AM   #8

Liked 762 Times on 441 Posts
Likes Given: 457

Quote:
Originally Posted by winds-of-change View Post
I'm new to guns and learning. I now see what a lower receiver is. What makes them different? Just looks or do they offer different sorts of shooting? Please be patient, I am very new to guns.
WOC

All lower receivers perform four basic functions: accept and hold a magazine, accept the trigger group, provide a pistol grip mounting and secure the stock...5 if you count the pivot and takedown pins...

That being said differences exist in the individual internal components as well as the fit and finish, and manufacturing methods, of the lower itself. JD does an excellent job of recapping the different types of lowers in one of the stickies in the AR thread, bottomline is stay away from the ones Cletus made from old soup cans...

So to answer your questions...the type of manufacturing and the quality of the materials used, including the finish, differentiate one lower from the other. Lower quality lowers may suffer from out of alignment issues, poorly drilled holes, machine marks, etc. Not enough to make them inoperable mind you just a little more difficult to work with. Lowers can be, in order of price; cast $, forged $$ or billet $$$$.

For the second part of your question...yes different shooting situations may require a different lower build, especially with the trigger. More precise, longer range shooting would benefit from a two stage trigger...everyday SHTF situations are fine with a standard trigger setup. Triggers are to some like Moby Dick to Ahab...they are on a life quest to find the "one," fortunately there are hundreds available to choose from. Point is, I guess, is that a stripped lower is an open format that the builder can assemble in most any way that suits him/her.

Hope this helps...I would recommend skimming through the stickies in the AR sections...loads of good info there if you're curious.

"The whole of the Bill (of Rights) is a declaration of the right of the people at large or considered as individuals.... It establishes some rights of the individual as unalienable and which consequently, no majority has a right to deprive them of." (Albert Gallatin of the New York Historical Society, October 7, 1789)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington

Old 02-14-2011, 05:22 AM   #9

Quentin Defense QD-15

Old 02-14-2011, 10:32 AM   #10
Ain't she sweet?
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 6959 Times on 4187 Posts
Likes Given: 8374

Thank you very much, Jpyle. I will go searching.