Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   AR-15 Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f20/)
-   -   Picking A Stripped Lower (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f20/picking-stripped-lower-61336/)

Vikingdad 03-29-2012 03:07 AM

Picking A Stripped Lower

I am trying to decide on a stripped lower to complete my build. The rest of the parts are all Colt from a listed rifle my buddy (who recently passed away) had. When the ban went into effect he stripped the listed lower and sold it, rather than register it. Now here in CA it must have the bullet button magazine release, but that can be added to an off-list lower.

So I have been visiting the gun stores and shopping around. One of them sells the S&W M&P built lower and the store owner claims that the Colt parts will not fit properly into the S&W lower. I have checked my parts and the upper-to-lower mounting pins are both .250" (Colt had made some that had a larger pin), but the guy says that there were other changes made to pin sizes (trigger and hammer pins) in order to "prevent the installation of M16 parts in an AR."

I don't know enough to call BS, but it sounds like it to me.

(And my apologies if I use the wrong nomenclature. I am new to the AR world.)

dog2000tj 03-29-2012 03:11 AM

He can be right, Colt did make AR lowers with different pin sizes but I don't know the specifics (one reason why I didn't even consider a Colt for my AR). If you have the upper I would suggest taking it down the LGS and fitting it to a receiver. While you are there you can check other parts comparability as well.

AgentTikki 03-29-2012 03:23 AM

I've read reports that Colt did do numerous bonehead things. But don't fret, a complete LPK is only $50 ish. I'm thinking you probably need one anyways because things like rolls pins aren't really reusable.

I think our resident Colt expert will chime in soon.

Vikingdad 03-29-2012 03:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dog2000tj (Post 755282)
He can be right, Colt did make AR lowers with different pin sizes but I don't know the specifics (one reason why I didn't even consider a Colt for my AR). If you have the upper I would suggest taking it down the LGS and fitting it to a receiver. While you are there you can check other parts comparability as well.

I may do that, right now I am just doing research. I am hoping that somebody who does know the specifics of what Colt did so that I can measure the parts I have first.

Vikingdad 03-29-2012 03:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AgentTikki (Post 755291)
LPK

Lower Pin Kit?

dog2000tj 03-29-2012 03:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vikingdad (Post 755297)
Lower Pin Kit?

lower parts kit ... has all the lower pins as well ;)

mjkeat 03-29-2012 03:53 AM

I'm sure it's on the internet somewhere.

I personally would spend the $40-$50 on a new LPK as long as the take-down pin holes are the correct size to fit the new lower.

Quentin 03-29-2012 09:01 PM

I'm surprised your buddy didn't leave the fire control parts in that auto lower when he sold it. If you have those parts you may want to get rid of them as there may not be a legal way to sell them or keep them. Definitely find out first.

Otherwise you should be ok with the S&W lower and standard LPK. As long as the Colt upper has the small size pivot and takedown pins as mentioned before.

Vikingdad 03-30-2012 12:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Quentin (Post 755947)
I'm surprised your buddy didn't leave the fire control parts in that auto lower when he sold it. If you have those parts you may want to get rid of them as there may not be a legal way to sell them or keep them. Definitely find out first.

Otherwise you should be ok with the S&W lower and standard LPK. As long as the Colt upper has the small size pivot and takedown pins as mentioned before.

Yeah, it would help if he told me what he had before he kicked the bucket. But, alas, he did not. I have a duffel bag full of parts and little evidence as to what exactly they are other than part numbers. So far I have not found anything that is obviously illegal (nothing labeled "full auto" or "M16" or anything like that), in any case as I understand it any of that would require a great deal more than just swapping out parts in any case.

Are you saying that the lower fire control parts might be controlled parts? I thought as long as you didn't have the controlled lower the parts that you possessed didn't matter (unless they were full-auto conversion parts, which is a situation I would not like to be in).

Make sense? Or am I confusing you?

Quentin 03-30-2012 04:54 AM

You live in CA so there's a lot of stuff you can't legally have. As far as the feds I really can't say for sure but there's a reason we average types can't buy full auto trigger parts like the sear, disconnector, hammer, selector, etc. I'd look at pictures of those parts from an M16 and see if you have them. You really shouldn't own them and probably don't because you'd expect they stayed in the auto lower. Again I don't know for sure but you need to find out what you have. As far as the new S&W lower, put a standard semiauto LPK in it and that will be good. The upper should be good too even if it does have the M16 BCG, no one worries much about that. In fact many of us want them for the extra carrier mass.