Pick my trigger!
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > Pick my trigger!

View Poll Results: Which trigger do I buy for my RRA AR?
Jewl 2 22.22%
Timney 3 33.33%
Jard 2 22.22%
Other 2 22.22%
Voters: 9. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-05-2009, 04:36 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 13 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 58

Default Pick my trigger!

Well I have put together a great RRA AR. As you can see from the pic, it is an RRA lower, an RRA predator pursuit upper, Magpul PRS stock, and a DPMS grip. I love the setup, and put it all together for the best possible price. The lower I bought from my best friend, who had bought it almost a year ago, and had never mated it to an upper. He gave it to me for the price he paid for it. My issue is, this lower came with a regular GI trigger. It is just not smoth enough for me! I love everything else about the rifle, but it certianly needs a trigger. So which one do i buy? I have read that some of you recomend Timney, some Jard, and more of you recomend a Jewel. So which one do I buy? Which one will be smooth and crisp, and easy to install? Let me know your opinion.

101_1398small.jpg  

SGT U.S. Army Special Operations Command, Ft. Bragg, NC (2002-2006)
Operation Iraqi Freedom Veteran (2004)

"Democracy is two wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for dinner. Liberty is the well-armed lamb contesting the vote." - Benjamin Franklin.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 09-05-2009, 05:13 AM   #2

Liked 33 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 47

Nice looking rifle.

If LaRue is an option, LaRue is the answer.Geissele Two Stage Trigger-DMR Small Pin

Old 09-05-2009, 04:38 PM   #3

Liked 27 Times on 21 Posts

Truevil, my personal preference would be a Jewell trigger. The Jewell is going to cost you a lot more money, but you get many triggers in one with the Jewell. With simple adjustments, you can go from a "big-game" or "predator" trigger to a "bench-rest" or "varmint" trigger in 20 seconds just by adjusting it. As for installation, it's easy for most and some very, very few, have problems with the retaining clip, but that's not an issue. The money and time you already have invested in this custom AR, I think custom trigger control would be the final compliment.

Jack

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

"There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter." - Hemingway

“The greatest ignorance is to reject something you know nothing about.”

Old 09-05-2009, 05:13 PM   #4

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3479 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

With all due respect to my fellow forum members, you would be out of your mind to pay $200 or $300 for a trigger for your AR in my personal opinion.

It's your money, and if you need a Giseille Trigger or you need a custom trigger, go for it.

However -

You can get a RRA 2-Stage Trigger for about $100 to $120 dollars, it will drop in to your lower in minutes and it will break like a glass rod.

I have installed several RRA 2 Stage triggers and never had a problem with them.

In my experience, Jewell makes a hell of a good trigger, one of the best, but I do not think it is a field trigger. I think it is a great benchrest style trigger, but I just don't think it's the best possible choice for a field trigger. They have very delicate adjustments that are available in them, as Jack has indicated, and that is a point of contention with me in a field weapon.

Personal Preference. Your mileage may vary....

JD

Old 09-05-2009, 06:09 PM   #5

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I put Jard triggers in my ARs. They're infinitely adjustable (takeup & overtravel), available in single stage (my choice) or 2 stage, have all pull weights from 1.5 pounds and on up, and are price comparable to RRA (120-150$). They're also 100% reliable too.

Sometimes you earthlings REALLY amaze me!

Old 09-05-2009, 06:46 PM   #6

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Geissele

Rainier Arms - Geissele HiSpeed Trigger Assy

Okay...not for everyone.

That being said, go for the RRA NM 2-stage, but from WOA. They rework it so that it doesn't become a 1-stage after heavy use.

Or...send your RRA to Bill Springfield and have him tune it.

Bill Springfield Triggers

AR15.com Trigger Comparison and Reviews

Slo

Last edited by slowryde45; 09-05-2009 at 07:27 PM. Reason: added trigger review

Old 09-05-2009, 07:58 PM   #7

Thanks for all of the advice so far, but please keep it comming. There does not seem to be one that sticks out the most. As JD recomended, I am personally leaning towards the RRA NM 2 stage, but my mind is not made up for sure yet.

"Democracy is two wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for dinner. Liberty is the well-armed lamb contesting the vote." - Benjamin Franklin.

Old 09-06-2009, 01:27 PM   #8

My father has a Bushmaster NM A-2 that has a Jewel adjustable trigger in it. He is very pleased with the trigger. He recently bought a RRA Flat top (similar to yours) and it has the RRA match trigger in it and he likes that a LOT better. He has been with the AR platform since it came out (he is a Nam vet) and he said hands down the RRA is a great trigger.
That is what I have in my match rifle and I love it. I have been using it for three years now. I have a timney in my CAR-15 and it is a nice trigger as well. I have it adjusted rather heavy but it is still a smooth, clean, dependable break.

Old 09-11-2009, 01:28 PM   #9

Well gang, I went with the Jewel two stage trigger. It was simply a matter of which one of the good triggers mentioned above that was readily available, and had the best ratings. I got it in the rifle yesterday, but have not gotten it outside to the range yet,(been having a lot of rain here). I can say just from dry firing it a few times, it is a huge improvment over the GI trigger.
Thanks for everyones opinions and suggestions.

Last edited by truevil1313; 09-11-2009 at 01:41 PM.