Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > Picatinny rail and vertical grip recommendations

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-10-2009, 01:02 AM   #1
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 20 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Default Picatinny rail and vertical grip recommendations

I'm thinking about adding a picatinny rail and vertical grip to my M4. Can anyone recommend a good source (economical) and give me some feedback on theirs? What they like and don't like about them would be helpful.

Thanks in advance!

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 09-10-2009, 01:15 AM   #2

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3478 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

What is your end goal?

Do you want a 4-Rail Forend?

Do you want a 2-Rail Forend?

Do you want a free floated forend with either option above?

As for the vertical grip, the only one I "like" is the Surefire that comes with the bright ass light. Other than that, I don't care for them that much to be honest...

Give me an idea of what your end goal is and I can get you a couple of companies to check out...

JD

Old 09-10-2009, 01:21 AM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 20 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 7

2 rail would be fine. Doesn't need to be free floating either. I just want to checkout the "feel" of the vertical grip, hence the "economy" part!

Old 09-10-2009, 03:31 AM   #4

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westy View Post
2 rail would be fine. Doesn't need to be free floating either. I just want to checkout the "feel" of the vertical grip, hence the "economy" part!
If you want to keep it "economical" until you find out if you like the "feel" or not,
you might want to check out Ergo...

Ergo Vertical Grips

mounted to one of these, on your regular hand guards....

Ergo Aluminum mounting platform

You'd be keeping it under $50 for both, and still have the ability to mount flashlights, bipods, etc to the mounting platform, besides a vertical grip. And if you didn't like the feel, you wouldn't be out much, and would easily be able to switch back to normal.

Another option, if you really want the "rails" without spending too much...

Midwest Industries - colored rails

which would allow you to mount everything under the sun

Slo

Old 09-10-2009, 10:24 AM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Sometime ago, my brother had installed a forward vertical grip on his new Bushy M4. We went to the range and were sighting in his Bushy and my (then) new RRA Elite Comp. He could not hold a decent pattern even at 50 yards, and he is usually a very decent shot.

The next time we went to the range together I told him to take that damn forward grip off. He did, and was almost immediatly shooting very nice groups at 100 yards.

Those froward grips maybe OK for the "Spray and Pray" type of shooting, or as Dillinger points out as a good mount for a tactical flashlight, but I do not think that they promote good ergometrics for accurate shooting.

TXnorton

Old 09-10-2009, 08:28 PM   #6

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

another option for you...replace your HG's with a set of Magpul MOE's

Magpul MOE handguards with mounted options

Slo

Old 09-10-2009, 09:04 PM   #7

Despite the recent (maybe not recent, but my memory sux) apparent "need" for a verticle fore grip, try this first: slide your hand back to the mag well if you feel like you need to hold onto something other than the forend in a conventional manner. The only time I use a verticle grip on the mag well is inside say 15 yards while advancing, or clearing a building and I need to keep my elbows down and tight in close quarters.

Having a seperate verticle grip that is only 3-4 inches ahead of the mag well makes not a lot of sense to me. Plus it's added weight and more crap hanging off the weapon making it unwieldy. If the grip includes a light that is a plus, but is not needed to mount a light just the same. Just a thought before you spend the money no matter how little.

"People live too long, dogs don't live long enough" - FTF Member-

Old 09-11-2009, 01:19 PM   #8

Default Quad rails and vertical grips

As for an economical quad rail goes, I like the Mako Groups GMG Rail. I have them on two of my AR's. They can be purchased for about $60.

GMG AR15 / M4 Aluminum Quad Rail: Mako Security, Inc.

I also agree with the other poster about vertical grips, they are of best use in CQB applications . Mako does have a couple of folding grips but I like their magwell grip. I have one on my AR pistol and it makes it much easier to handle.

Magazine well grip for AR15/ M16 /M4: Mako Security, Inc.

Hope some of this helps.