Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > Pending Gun Ban? But I can't afford an AR right now

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-19-2012, 06:43 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3478 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Default Pending Gun Ban? But I can't afford an AR right now

Mods - I realize the title is political, but this is just information for people and is not intended to be a political thread. I would ask all respondants to stick with that intention when replying.

Okay, so the election is upon us and again there is talk of neither candidate being pro gun and what if Assault Weapons Ban Part II comes down the pipe?

First off, it's not going to happen on Nov. 7th, so don't panic. You don't need to rush right out and max out your credit cards before Christmas because you are going to "miss out".

He is the first step in a logical approach to owning one of these types of weapons should you truly feel the need and are scared you will not be able too in the coming future.

This is a lower receiver for the AR platform. There are 50 different styles of them out there if there is one. Everyone is banging out AR Lowers right now because the demand is high.

This is the only part of the whole rifle that, atleast right now, has to go through an FFL, thus a background check is required.

They range in price from the $80 neighborhood up to the $350 neighborhood depending on the look and construction.

The last time this type of legislation went into effect, anyone with a complete rifle purchase, or a lower receiver purchase, before the drop dead date was grandfathered in and was allowed to keep them. That meant that if you had a stripped lower receiver, even after the "ban" went into effect, you were still able to build it into a rifle after the "ban date" without penalty.

While this is no guarantee they would be grandfathered in again, most people would agree that trying to go door to door to demand confiscation would be a really dumb move by anyone, so a grandfather clause makes perfect sense.

Now none of the other AR parts have to have any Fed involvement to be purchased and can be sent right to your house, or purchased at a local gun shop or gun show and walked right to your car.

At the top of this forum section there are several sticky threads that will show you how to assemble a lower, explain all the technical terms, and even show you a couple of builds that were done by people just like you.

There are no less than 2 dozen highly skilled members here who intimate knowledge of the AR platform and no shortness of desire to talk about them, so you will always have a source for your questions.

So in closing if you suddenly awoke with a nagging fear that there might be some looming legislation to keep you from owning an AR, please know that you do not need to take a second mortgage on your house, rob the kid's college fund or sell a kidney.

Shop around, find a lower you like, and purchase it for a DIY project as finances allow.

I hope this helps ease some fears -

JD

917223.jpg   arlowerreceiver.jpg   dpms_ar15_lower_receiver.jpg   l_953000001_5_.jpg  

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 10-19-2012, 06:56 PM   #2
fmj

Liked 753 Times on 437 Posts
Likes Given: 306

Very informative. But in reality, even with these clowns up for erection being notoriously anti gun, the majority of twits in congress KNOW that even speaking of gun control is political suicide. We, as americans, even the most liberal amongst us, not naming any names here, (coughchainfirecough ) are quite pro gun.

My advice is dont worry, save and buy what you want, when you can...that being said, i bought my M-4 at the begining of this year just to hedge my bets.

The 1911: Turning useless trash into good fertilizer for over 100 years!!

Old 10-19-2012, 11:50 PM   #3

Liked 1283 Times on 803 Posts
Likes Given: 308

Quote:
Originally Posted by fmj View Post
Very informative. But in reality, even with these clowns up for erection being notoriously anti gun, the majority of twits in congress KNOW that even speaking of gun control is political suicide. We, as americans, even the most liberal amongst us, not naming any names here, (coughchainfirecough ) are quite pro gun.

My advice is dont worry, save and buy what you want, when you can...that being said, i bought my M-4 at the begining of this year just to hedge my bets.
I am glad you are thinking about me FMJ!

For once we are in full agreement, I do not think any gun legislation could go through any congress that we are about to elect, no matter who is the President.

"It is better to be too skeptical then too credulous"

Carl Sagan

Old 10-19-2012, 11:53 PM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 757 Times on 449 Posts
Likes Given: 477

Quote:
Originally Posted by fmj View Post

LOL!! Funny! Someone's got your number ChainFire.

Old 10-20-2012, 12:33 AM   #5

Liked 133 Times on 108 Posts
Likes Given: 43

I don't see any more gun laws being passed in the near future. Like others have said it's political suicide. The attempts to pass gun laws recently are only a ploy to drive up gun prices and to make liberal voters happy.

"I do not aim with my hand; I aim with my eye. He who aims with his hand has forgotten the face of his father.
I do not shoot with my hand; I shoot with my mind. He who shoots with his hand has forgotten the face of his father.
I do not kill with my gun; I kill with my heart. He who kills with his gun has forgotten the face of his father."

Adopt a pet!! http://www.aspca.org/ Some of the finest pleasure horses come from here: http://www.canterusa.org/

Old 10-20-2012, 01:10 AM   #6
10-32
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2917 Times on 1718 Posts

I'm buying lowers and ammo. Obama will be re-elected. He doesn't give a damn about political suicide. He will pass a ban.

I don't need No stinking signature.

dog2000tj Likes This 
Old 10-20-2012, 01:34 AM   #7

Liked 14 Times on 7 Posts

Pending to be proposed in a worst case scenario if the nra fails us legislation would be a more correct title. This time around I am less worried.

Old 10-20-2012, 01:34 AM   #8
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5475 Times on 2861 Posts
Likes Given: 355

long as this stays on buying an ar15 and ignores the politics it can stay. i dont like letting borderline topics stay as they almost always devolve into naughtty areas. if it does its getting deleted.

so please stay on topic of ar15 buying advice

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Last edited by JonM; 10-20-2012 at 01:37 AM.

Old 10-20-2012, 01:55 AM   #9
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1719 Times on 894 Posts
Likes Given: 3644

Actually its great advice for anytime. If ya cant afford the AR ya want. Buy the lower first. then keep adding to it when finances allow.

Old 10-20-2012, 03:33 AM   #10

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3478 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Jon - feel free to edit, or delete, the political view posts, they offer nothing.

This thread is about how to make preparations IF you believe you will not be able to get the rifle you want, when you can afford it.

Namely, in the next 3 months.

The lower receiver is key. Buy one and get it on the books, or buy a stock block and machine it, prior to any legislation.

Outside of that you DO NOT need to max out the credit cards or take out a loan to get a "top tier" AR.

JD