Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   AR-15 Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f20/)
-   -   Pending Gun Ban? But I can't afford an AR right now (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f20/pending-gun-ban-but-i-cant-afford-ar-right-now-74669/)

Dillinger 10-19-2012 07:43 PM

Pending Gun Ban? But I can't afford an AR right now

4 Attachment(s)
Mods - I realize the title is political, but this is just information for people and is not intended to be a political thread. I would ask all respondants to stick with that intention when replying.

Okay, so the election is upon us and again there is talk of neither candidate being pro gun and what if Assault Weapons Ban Part II comes down the pipe?

First off, it's not going to happen on Nov. 7th, so don't panic. You don't need to rush right out and max out your credit cards before Christmas because you are going to "miss out".

He is the first step in a logical approach to owning one of these types of weapons should you truly feel the need and are scared you will not be able too in the coming future.

This is a lower receiver for the AR platform. There are 50 different styles of them out there if there is one. Everyone is banging out AR Lowers right now because the demand is high.

This is the only part of the whole rifle that, atleast right now, has to go through an FFL, thus a background check is required.

They range in price from the $80 neighborhood up to the $350 neighborhood depending on the look and construction.

The last time this type of legislation went into effect, anyone with a complete rifle purchase, or a lower receiver purchase, before the drop dead date was grandfathered in and was allowed to keep them. That meant that if you had a stripped lower receiver, even after the "ban" went into effect, you were still able to build it into a rifle after the "ban date" without penalty.

While this is no guarantee they would be grandfathered in again, most people would agree that trying to go door to door to demand confiscation would be a really dumb move by anyone, so a grandfather clause makes perfect sense.

Now none of the other AR parts have to have any Fed involvement to be purchased and can be sent right to your house, or purchased at a local gun shop or gun show and walked right to your car.

At the top of this forum section there are several sticky threads that will show you how to assemble a lower, explain all the technical terms, and even show you a couple of builds that were done by people just like you.

There are no less than 2 dozen highly skilled members here who intimate knowledge of the AR platform and no shortness of desire to talk about them, so you will always have a source for your questions.

So in closing if you suddenly awoke with a nagging fear that there might be some looming legislation to keep you from owning an AR, please know that you do not need to take a second mortgage on your house, rob the kid's college fund or sell a kidney. ;)

Shop around, find a lower you like, and purchase it for a DIY project as finances allow.

I hope this helps ease some fears -

JD

fmj 10-19-2012 07:56 PM

Very informative. But in reality, even with these clowns up for erection being notoriously anti gun, the majority of twits in congress KNOW that even speaking of gun control is political suicide. We, as americans, even the most liberal amongst us, not naming any names here, (coughchainfirecough :p) are quite pro gun.

My advice is dont worry, save and buy what you want, when you can...that being said, i bought my M-4 at the begining of this year just to hedge my bets.;)

Chainfire 10-20-2012 12:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fmj (Post 982691)
Very informative. But in reality, even with these clowns up for erection being notoriously anti gun, the majority of twits in congress KNOW that even speaking of gun control is political suicide. We, as americans, even the most liberal amongst us, not naming any names here, (coughchainfirecough :p) are quite pro gun.

My advice is dont worry, save and buy what you want, when you can...that being said, i bought my M-4 at the begining of this year just to hedge my bets.;)

I am glad you are thinking about me FMJ!:)

For once we are in full agreement, I do not think any gun legislation could go through any congress that we are about to elect, no matter who is the President.

PanBaccha 10-20-2012 12:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fmj (Post 982691)

LOL!! Funny! Someone's got your number ChainFire. :D

Old_Crow 10-20-2012 01:33 AM

I don't see any more gun laws being passed in the near future. Like others have said it's political suicide. The attempts to pass gun laws recently are only a ploy to drive up gun prices and to make liberal voters happy.

mountainman13 10-20-2012 02:10 AM

I'm buying lowers and ammo. Obama will be re-elected. He doesn't give a damn about political suicide. He will pass a ban.

LandMonster 10-20-2012 02:34 AM

Pending to be proposed in a worst case scenario if the nra fails us legislation would be a more correct title. This time around I am less worried.

JonM 10-20-2012 02:34 AM

long as this stays on buying an ar15 and ignores the politics it can stay. i dont like letting borderline topics stay as they almost always devolve into naughtty areas. if it does its getting deleted. :)

so please stay on topic of ar15 buying advice

towboater 10-20-2012 02:55 AM

Actually its great advice for anytime. If ya cant afford the AR ya want. Buy the lower first. then keep adding to it when finances allow.

Dillinger 10-20-2012 04:33 AM

Jon - feel free to edit, or delete, the political view posts, they offer nothing.

This thread is about how to make preparations IF you believe you will not be able to get the rifle you want, when you can afford it.

Namely, in the next 3 months.

The lower receiver is key. Buy one and get it on the books, or buy a stock block and machine it, prior to any legislation.

Outside of that you DO NOT need to max out the credit cards or take out a loan to get a "top tier" AR. :rolleyes:

JD