Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   AR-15 Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f20/)
-   -   Pathetic, my colt m4 22lr outshoots my mini14... (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f20/pathetic-my-colt-m4-22lr-outshoots-my-mini14-63105/)

Tenderribbs 04-23-2012 02:30 PM

Pathetic, my colt m4 22lr outshoots my mini14...

Hello everyone. Well I was told over and over again about the poor performance of the mini14 but I thought with the new barrel it would be a little better! Not .... Just purchased a mini14 ati20cf 223 and first right off the bat wouldn't cycle FTF FTE finially got it shooting the 55 grains reliably put a red dot scope on it flashlight and laser put it up against my 22lr m4 carbine and my colt witha 1975 colt scope beat my new mini at 50 yds quite handily! I didn't purchasE the mini for it's accuracy but dang you would think it would outshoot a 22! Anyways getting my S&W 223 AR today out of layaway and hopping for better results than the mini. This black gun disease is a terrible thing!

So that others may live...

towboater 04-23-2012 02:38 PM

22lr is easier to shoot, + a very accurate round.
Mini 14s aren't known for being greately accurate.

Snakedriver 04-23-2012 02:50 PM

Wait....................all my .22 rifles will shoot quarter sized groups all day long at 50 yards using even Wally World bulk box ammo.

My Mini-14 shoots 2" groups at 50 yards.

I'm not sure you've proved anything with your comparison. Was it intended to make your .22 look good or just to try and put in a slam against the Mini? :( Good job. :mad:

masterPsmith 04-23-2012 04:07 PM

The Mini slammers will always be out there:mad::mad:
The Mini was originally designed as a light carbine for military and Law Enforcement and has become a great little carbine for civilian use. It was never intended to be a tack driver. There are some very accurate Mini's out there and some not so accurate, just as there are some very accurate Garands and some not so accurate Garands. The same can be said of the AR platform. Reliability is next to none with the Mini as well as with the Garand. The AR however, has had and in some cases still has reliability issues. I have nothing against the AR platform and am planning to build myself another in the near future. I personally don't see any reason for anyone to constantly BASH one or the other. Everyone has reasons to own one or the other and it should be left at that and just have fun shooting what you own. That's what it's all about anyway. I really get tired of all the bashing, it has no place here !!!!!

Jim..........................

Quentin 04-23-2012 04:37 PM

Well the Colt M4 22lr gets bashed a lot as well but I've got to say mine is an accurate and reliable carbine. Glad to hear other good reports.

No negative comment on the Mini, I like them but don't own one. I like the way they look and handle.

Tenderribbs 04-23-2012 08:01 PM

Hold up fellars no bashing intended just thought the 223 round would be a little more accurate than it wAs in my mini . And as I said ,I didn't buy the mini for it's accuracy but dang I can barely hit a pie plate at a 100 once again not bashing just field report. Still love the gun for it's purpose ,to sling a Bunch of lead quickly at something you don't want around anymore ! Yea I do love my colt Ar22lr accurate little gun. I also shot my colt ar15 223 iron sights with much better accuracy then with my mini14 223 with mil dot scope. Once again not bashing just reporting.

So that others may live...

masterPsmith 04-23-2012 10:05 PM

You might try several different types of .223 and 5.56 Nato to find which one your Mini favors. If your Mini is a newer one with a heavier tapered barrel, it should shoot 1 1/2" or better at 100 yards with the right loads in the right hands off the bench. No two firearms will shoot the same with the same load. Trigger time and different ammo to find the right combo is all part of the fun of shooting. I believe you will enjoy your Mini more when you hit on the right combination. Give it a chance...

Jim..........

locutus 04-28-2012 04:14 PM

I've owned three Mini-14s over the years.

They serve a valid purpose, but virtually any of my other rifles will out shoot them at 100 yards or beyond.

BenLuby 04-28-2012 04:45 PM

You don't buy a mini to drive tacks at 100 yards. You buy it to enjoy the historic significance of it, and they are fun to shoot. But you definitely don't attempt to compare a .223 to a .22.

hawkguy 04-28-2012 05:21 PM

Quote:

Hello everyone. Well I was told over and over again about the poor performance of the mini14 but I thought with the new barrel it would be a little better! Not .... Just purchased a mini14 ati20cf 223 and first right off the bat wouldn't cycle FTF FTE finially got it shooting the 55 grains reliably put a red dot scope on it flashlight and laser put it up against my 22lr m4 carbine and my colt witha 1975 colt scope beat my new mini at 50 yds quite handily! I didn't purchasE the mini for it's accuracy but dang you would think it would outshoot a 22! Anyways getting my S&W 223 AR today out of layaway and hopping for better results than the mini. This black gun disease is a terrible thing!
honestly, with no disrespect intended, i think this post is little premature.

based on your post in the mini forum, you first tested this gun before you even cleaned the packing grease out of it. the only gun i ever did that on (andi knew better, i was just overly excited :p), i had many malfunctions as well.

next, virtually any mini owner will tell you, that a mini will require some TLC to get the best out of it. spend some more time in them mini froum talking to guys like master p. if you want a good shooting mini, there are some cheap fixes that will make huge differences.

and there are many 22's that have crazy accuracy, so keep that in mind.

and another note, i also have a s&w sport AR i purchased recently. i just put it up against my mini and saw very similar groups at 50 yards. (check the general rifle forum). now, i did a bit of work to get my mini shooting better, but it was easy stuff you can do as well. i'm far from an expert, i just learned from a few.

if you can't hit pie plates at 100 with your mini, something is wrong. i hit targets like apples and cans, no problem.

last but not least, don't shoot garbage ammo and expect accuracy. buy plinking ammo for fun, and good stuff when you really want to see how your mini shoots. experiment with many different ammos and bullet weights. you might find something your mini loves!

good luck and see you in the mini forum!