Parts suggestions needed-budget
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > Parts suggestions needed-budget

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-17-2014, 07:00 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts

Default Parts suggestions needed-budget

Bought a stripped lower for $50 from palmetto state armory. Need suggestions for some parts that are budget minded but quality. Some of my wants are:

Extended rifle length free float tube.
Chrome lined barrel.
Flattop receiver with m4 feed ramps.
Solid adjustable stock.

I am not about having names to list off when describing my weapon so long as i know the parts are quality and will function when the time comes that they need to. I really am looking for sone direction on what i can skimp on and what i need to pay top dollar for. As well as some sources in which i can find reasonable prices and good service.

Sent from my LG-L38C using Firearms Talk mobile app

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 02-17-2014, 12:43 PM   #2

Liked 575 Times on 307 Posts

Well brother , there are some quality parts out there that don't break the bank
1-Diamondhead rails are nice and run $150-20
2- FN makes a nice chrome lined barrel for around $200
3- Magpul makes nice $50-65 stocks
4- Aero Percision makes a upper for $80 to 100 based on if it's stripped or comes with port cover and forward assist. Of course there are cheaper components but then you get cheaper quality product. I think these parts are good quality and on the cheaper side. They are name brands but the cheaper ones on the spectrum.

Sent from my iPhone using Firearms Talk

Old 02-17-2014, 01:01 PM   #3
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5658 Times on 2955 Posts
Likes Given: 374

Don't skimp on barrel, bolt carrier group, upper receiver.

Fn chf barrel for general purpose use
Bravo company bcg
Rra, bravo company, ranier, psa, Midwest industries just to name a few for the upper

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 02-17-2014, 02:53 PM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 124 Times on 89 Posts
Likes Given: 40

I bought an AWESOME upper from PSA and got it a few days ago. It was something like this
http://palmettostatearmory.com/index.php/ar-15-05/complete-uppers/psa-16-m4-premium-ss12g2-without-bcg-or-charging-handle.html

CHF, chrome lined and all the specs you mentioned with Kmod rail which I love. I paid about 350 for it and am thrilled. Looks and feels very solid. There is also this
Therhttp://palmettostatearmory.com/index.php/psa-m4-strikefire-premium-black-friday-upper.htmlis

I would take a week or two and check PSA every day for their daily deals. You already have a good start with their lower. He'll I saw a deal the other day where they had a complete upper and complete lower that totaled around 450 when bought separately.

I also bought a BCM gunfighter and spikes BCG and love the whole set up. Gonna start a lower soon.

Old 02-17-2014, 03:25 PM   #5

Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts

What gas system do yall suggest if i am ginna run a long free float tube?

Old 02-17-2014, 03:31 PM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 124 Times on 89 Posts
Likes Given: 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by czfreak View Post
What gas system do yall suggest if i am ginna run a long free float tube?

Mine is a middy but someone will chime in who knows what's best.

Old 02-17-2014, 03:47 PM   #7

Liked 1129 Times on 734 Posts
Likes Given: 2017

I personally like a mid length , but thats my personal preference . Carbine length has been around a long time and ran flawless for a long time. Saying that out of the 9 ARs I own all are carbine except 1 .

And Dictators Prefer Unarmed Citizens

Old 02-17-2014, 04:08 PM   #8
FTF_MODERATOR.png

16"-18" barrel midlength is best.

18"-24" barrel rifle length

18" works ok with either rifle or midlength

14.5" barrel carbine length

i would never buy a barrel that is over 14.5" with a carbine length gas system.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 02-17-2014, 04:47 PM   #9

Liked 1129 Times on 734 Posts
Likes Given: 2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM View Post
16"-18" barrel midlength is best.

18"-24" barrel rifle length

18" works ok with either rifle or midlength

14.5" barrel carbine length

i would never buy a barrel that is over 14.5" with a carbine length gas system.
Jon, what do you find wrong with 16" carbine gas systems ? That seems to be the general standard on most 16" barrels . I have a 14.5 with a mid system that shoots very soft .

And Dictators Prefer Unarmed Citizens

Old 02-17-2014, 04:58 PM   #10
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by purehavoc View Post
Jon, what do you find wrong with 16" carbine gas systems ? That seems to be the general standard on most 16" barrels . I have a 14.5 with a mid system that shoots very soft .
because its too much gas into the bcg and to offset that you need heavier buffers or buffer springs or smaller gas port. beats the snot out of the parts a little more breakages are more likely of key parts in the bcg.

your 14.5 the difference between the mid length and carbine length as in how soft yours shoots is that much again with a 16" barrel in a carbine gas layout. its the opposite of what your experiencing.

if a barrel maker goes out of the way to port a barrel correctly for a 16" and carbine length it will work well. but that is almost never the case. you can alos get around the over gassing with an adjustable gas block.

carbine length was designed for the 14.5 barrel. lots of barrel makers found it easier to just drill 16" non nfa barrels for the carbine length than puzzle out a new design that works correctly with the 16" barrel which eventually happened with the midlength system

Last edited by JonM; 02-17-2014 at 05:37 PM.