Parts Is Parts I Reck'n
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > Parts Is Parts I Reck'n

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-21-2012, 06:15 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Default Parts Is Parts I Reck'n

My belief is that quality differs from manufacturer to manufacturer depending on the company's desire. If I'm wrong I want to know.

I don't care about opinion, I want to see black and white.

I'm curious as to why certain manufaturers have a horrible reputation for breakage and some have great reputations among hard use shooters if all ARs are the same.

“The bitterness of poor quality Lingers long after The sweetness of low price is forgotten.”
-John Ruskin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quentin View Post
"The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together."

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 02-21-2012, 07:35 PM   #2

Liked 237 Times on 187 Posts
Likes Given: 342

Bubba, I'm with ya on this one after dealing with a lot of crappy parts. Just waiting on you-know-who to put his .02 though.

"Democracy is two wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for dinner.
Liberty is the well-armed lamb contesting the vote." - Benjamin Franklin

Old 02-21-2012, 07:50 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjkeat
My belief is that quality differs from manufacturer to manufacturer depending on the company's desire. If I'm wrong I want to know.

I don't care about opinion, I want to see black and white.

I'm curious as to why certain manufaturers have a horrible reputation for breakage and some have great reputations among hard use shooters if all ARs are the same.
I am with you MJ. I think it all comes down to quality control.

High angle hell. Death and destruction from above.

Old 02-21-2012, 07:54 PM   #4

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

agreed - QC FTW. Maybe the price difference is that some companies have more staff to QC parts (translates into overhead costs passed to the consumer). Some companies probably buy the cheapest parts and don't QC cuz they still need to make a profit.

Some companies have better processes in place/move overhead to either check parts or in the facilitation in making parts to maintain their reputation to the community to which they sale.

Last edited by Millerlite; 02-21-2012 at 07:57 PM. Reason: reputation

Old 02-21-2012, 07:58 PM   #5

Liked 1067 Times on 750 Posts
Likes Given: 1063

And as far as proving there is a difference in the quality of various ARs and parts, our military has been validating this for 50 years. This requires tedious certification of the parts that go into the M16/M4 for general issue. Only Colt and FN have been awarded the contracts because they have met the requirements. If Vulcan/Hesse/Blackthorne could meet those requirements and undercut on cost I bet by now they'd have been added to the contract, especially in this economy. Same with other makers however this doesn't mean their product necessarily is junk, but it is not "the same as".

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.

Old 02-21-2012, 08:14 PM   #6

Liked 237 Times on 187 Posts
Likes Given: 342

Quote:
And as far as proving there is a difference in the quality of various ARs and parts, our military has been validating this for 50 years. This requires tedious certification of the parts that go into the M16/M4 for general issue. Only Colt and FN have been awarded the contracts because they have met the requirements. If Vulcan/Hesse/Blackthorne could meet those requirements and undercut on cost I bet by now they'd have been added to the contract, especially in this economy. Same with other makers however this doesn't mean their product necessarily is junk, but it is not "the same as".
Q,
I beg to differ on this one. I've seen some crap slip through due to the lowest bidder, and if you had been in some of the non-rapid-deployable units I had been in, you might know what I am talking about. It has gotten better over the last few years, but there are still some lower receivers out there in some Army arms rooms that say Hasbro, Mattel, General Motors, Fisher Price, etc...
and you know a deer is safe walking in front of them after about 30 rounds. I think this has to do more with them being the lowest bidder on replacement parts on a given year.

"Democracy is two wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for dinner.
Liberty is the well-armed lamb contesting the vote." - Benjamin Franklin

Old 02-21-2012, 09:39 PM   #7

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by fsted2a

Q,
I beg to differ on this one. I've seen some crap slip through due to the lowest bidder, and if you had been in some of the non-rapid-deployable units I had been in, you might know what I am talking about. It has gotten better over the last few years, but there are still some lower receivers out there in some Army arms rooms that say Hasbro, Mattel, General Motors, Fisher Price, etc...
and you know a deer is safe walking in front of them after about 30 rounds. I think this has to do more with them being the lowest bidder on replacement parts on a given year.
That's just old stuff that is slowly being cycled out. Everyone should have good equipment but that's just the nature of the beast unfortunately.

“The bitterness of poor quality Lingers long after The sweetness of low price is forgotten.”
-John Ruskin

Quote:
"The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together."

Old 02-21-2012, 09:48 PM   #8

Liked 335 Times on 264 Posts
Likes Given: 51

Man what I wouldn't give for a Mattel / Fisher Price / Hasbro stripped lower.......

wonder what the roll mark looks like

Old 02-22-2012, 12:17 AM   #9

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Put me down for the G.I. Joe Hasbro Stripped lower

Old 02-22-2012, 12:43 AM   #10

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Let's keep this on topic please as to avoid another debacle.

-John Ruskin

Quote:

Closed Thread