Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   AR-15 Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f20/)
-   -   Parts Is Parts I Reck'n (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f20/parts-parts-i-reckn-58426/)

mjkeat 02-21-2012 05:15 PM

Parts Is Parts I Reck'n

My belief is that quality differs from manufacturer to manufacturer depending on the company's desire. If I'm wrong I want to know.

I don't care about opinion, I want to see black and white.

I'm curious as to why certain manufaturers have a horrible reputation for breakage and some have great reputations among hard use shooters if all ARs are the same.

fsted2a 02-21-2012 06:35 PM

Bubba, I'm with ya on this one after dealing with a lot of crappy parts. Just waiting on you-know-who to put his .02 though.

cfraga1978 02-21-2012 06:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mjkeat
My belief is that quality differs from manufacturer to manufacturer depending on the company's desire. If I'm wrong I want to know.

I don't care about opinion, I want to see black and white.

I'm curious as to why certain manufaturers have a horrible reputation for breakage and some have great reputations among hard use shooters if all ARs are the same.

I am with you MJ. I think it all comes down to quality control.

Millerlite 02-21-2012 06:54 PM

agreed - QC FTW. Maybe the price difference is that some companies have more staff to QC parts (translates into overhead costs passed to the consumer). Some companies probably buy the cheapest parts and don't QC cuz they still need to make a profit.

Some companies have better processes in place/move overhead to either check parts or in the facilitation in making parts to maintain their reputation to the community to which they sale.

Quentin 02-21-2012 06:58 PM

And as far as proving there is a difference in the quality of various ARs and parts, our military has been validating this for 50 years. This requires tedious certification of the parts that go into the M16/M4 for general issue. Only Colt and FN have been awarded the contracts because they have met the requirements. If Vulcan/Hesse/Blackthorne could meet those requirements and undercut on cost I bet by now they'd have been added to the contract, especially in this economy. Same with other makers however this doesn't mean their product necessarily is junk, but it is not "the same as".

fsted2a 02-21-2012 07:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Quentin (Post 716074)
And as far as proving there is a difference in the quality of various ARs and parts, our military has been validating this for 50 years. This requires tedious certification of the parts that go into the M16/M4 for general issue. Only Colt and FN have been awarded the contracts because they have met the requirements. If Vulcan/Hesse/Blackthorne could meet those requirements and undercut on cost I bet by now they'd have been added to the contract, especially in this economy. Same with other makers however this doesn't mean their product necessarily is junk, but it is not "the same as".

Q,
I beg to differ on this one. I've seen some crap slip through due to the lowest bidder, and if you had been in some of the non-rapid-deployable units I had been in, you might know what I am talking about. It has gotten better over the last few years, but there are still some lower receivers out there in some Army arms rooms that say Hasbro, Mattel, General Motors, Fisher Price, etc...
and you know a deer is safe walking in front of them after about 30 rounds. I think this has to do more with them being the lowest bidder on replacement parts on a given year.

mjkeat 02-21-2012 08:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fsted2a

Q,
I beg to differ on this one. I've seen some crap slip through due to the lowest bidder, and if you had been in some of the non-rapid-deployable units I had been in, you might know what I am talking about. It has gotten better over the last few years, but there are still some lower receivers out there in some Army arms rooms that say Hasbro, Mattel, General Motors, Fisher Price, etc...
and you know a deer is safe walking in front of them after about 30 rounds. I think this has to do more with them being the lowest bidder on replacement parts on a given year.

That's just old stuff that is slowly being cycled out. Everyone should have good equipment but that's just the nature of the beast unfortunately.

AgentTikki 02-21-2012 08:48 PM

Man what I wouldn't give for a Mattel / Fisher Price / Hasbro stripped lower.......

wonder what the roll mark looks like :p

Flat4sti 02-21-2012 11:17 PM

Put me down for the G.I. Joe Hasbro Stripped lower

mjkeat 02-21-2012 11:43 PM

Let's keep this on topic please as to avoid another debacle.