Part importance!?!?
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion >

Part importance!?!?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-15-2011, 04:27 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

Default Part importance!?!?

Ok so I have been on these threads for weeks now reading just about every piece of info on ARs that I can find. I am getting towards the end of the planning stage and about to be in the purchasing stage of my build, and I have a question for those of you more experienced men and women. How important are certain parts of the build? For instance, do you consider the LPK quality to be more important than the lower itself? I am planning on purchasing an assembled upper so I don't have as many qualms about my purchase there. However, there are things on the lower such as the grip, and the internals that I am willing to spend more on to improve the quality of the shot. I guess it's too late to make a long question short but if I get a DPMS stripped lower and fill it with a Daniel Defense or Palmetto State LPK is that going to be better than the reverse?

Any help or recommendations is well warranted. Like I said in my last thread, I am not the sharpest tool in the AR shed...

As an American one should always support the troops, screw the politicians!!!

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 12-15-2011, 05:32 PM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1240 Times on 861 Posts
Likes Given: 1287

As to your original question, a good LPK should work well in the DPMS, assuming the lower's in spec. I wouldn't want a DPMS LPK though. So yes, assuming an in spec lower that's not roughly done, the LPK is more important. If there are problems with the lower, even a good LPK can't solve them. Things like holes drilled wrong, pins walking out, parts that don't fit, etc.

But do you really want DPMS displayed promenently on your build? Are you going with DPMS because it's cheaper or the only one in stock in town? There are a lot of choices in stripped lowers for not much money, I'd pay the transfer fee to order online if you have to.
US Army 1966-69, VFW Life Member, Retired Geek

Old 12-15-2011, 06:02 PM   #3

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

I was simply using DPMS as an example but yes, I would rather go with a less expensive stripped lower in order to be able to get a better upper and LPK

Old 12-15-2011, 06:05 PM   #4

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

And some glass to go with, but that is probably a secondary purchase, it will have to wait a little while after the initial gun purchase and assembly...

Old 12-15-2011, 07:23 PM   #5

Liked 340 Times on 265 Posts
Likes Given: 51

Honestly most forged lowers are the same. Probably even from the same forge.

As for PSA they've publicly stated that their forged peices come for the same supllier as FN (gooood) and all the others parts are made in the usa (probably good).

Can't speak for DD kits as I've never used them. But at almost 2x the price of psa kits.....I would pass.

Last edited by AgentTikki; 12-15-2011 at 08:17 PM.

Old 12-15-2011, 08:13 PM   #6

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by texasman55 View Post
I was simply using DPMS as an example but yes, I would rather go with a less expensive stripped lower in order to be able to get a better upper and LPK

The difference between a good mil-spec lower and a lower of questionable specs and quality isn't very much, maybe $20.

If I were you, I would go with either a Spikes Tactical or Palmetto State Armory lower. Both can be had for around $80, plus transfer fee, your looking at $100-$110.

I had a DPMS LR-308, sold it a year or so back, and will not buy another DPMS product.

*EDIT: Spikes makes a pretty good LPK at a reasonable price. I've got a Spikes rifle and it is a very nice rifle. I'm sure the PSA LPKs are also really nice, I just have no personal experience with them.

-Fred

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

"Qui desiderat pacem, bellum praeparat; nemo provocare ne offendere audet quem intelliget superiorem esse pugnaturem"

Old 12-15-2011, 08:51 PM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1240 Times on 861 Posts
Likes Given: 1287

While I agree that most stripped lower receivers are of adequate quality, there are differences if you can actually handle different ones. Problem is you can't do that with online purchases which is why I usually shop around town for lowers. I look for good machining, a flared magwell, no roughness, things like that - and will pay more for that. I still smile when I feel the quality of the S&W lower I got three years ago so don't mind that I paid a little extra.
US Army 1966-69, VFW Life Member, Retired Geek

Old 12-16-2011, 01:02 AM   #8

Liked 340 Times on 265 Posts
Likes Given: 51

Another one that flys under the radar is Riflegear's mod aggressor lower. Nicely finished. Flared magwell, and tensioner to remove any upper/lower play you may have. $100. I'm just ok w/ the rollmark...its merely ok. Butits a local shop to me so I picked up on....or was it two....damnit might been 3......crap.

Old 12-16-2011, 05:04 AM   #9

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Took a look at the RG Agg. lower and it's not bad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quentin View Post
"The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together."

Old 12-16-2011, 03:11 PM   #10

Here is a blueprint of the receiver in spec if you wish to do some measuring

http://www.biggerhammer.net/ar15/cad/ar15_receiver.pdf