Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > Pardon my ignorance.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-12-2010, 02:42 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Pardon my ignorance.

I've been looking around for a new project to build. I've been eyeing the whole AR15 platform for a while. I watched the assembly of the lower reciever and it really didn't look terribly hard. Plus what others have posted on this site makes me believe I could definatly jump into this. However, I'm not that into guns and have only gone shooting a few times. Not that its a problem, but it leaves me with a few questions. Specifically I noticed on parts websites an FFL is required to purchase lower recievers. Will I have to have a FFL before I purchase any parts? Or are there other ways to get the parts that I'd like? I'm really not that interested in applying for the FFL if it isn't needed. Thanks for any help guys!

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 07-12-2010, 02:44 AM   #2

Liked 762 Times on 441 Posts
Likes Given: 456

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim S View Post
I've been looking around for a new project to build. I've been eyeing the whole AR15 platform for a while. I watched the assembly of the lower reciever and it really didn't look terribly hard. Plus what others have posted on this site makes me believe I could definatly jump into this. However, I'm not that into guns and have only gone shooting a few times. Not that its a problem, but it leaves me with a few questions. Specifically I noticed on parts websites an FFL is required to purchase lower recievers. Will I have to have a FFL before I purchase any parts? Or are there other ways to get the parts that I'd like? I'm really not that interested in applying for the FFL if it isn't needed. Thanks for any help guys!
You do not need an FFL, you need to have the receiver shipped to one who will transfer it to you. Any gunshop in your area has an FFL.

"The whole of the Bill (of Rights) is a declaration of the right of the people at large or considered as individuals.... It establishes some rights of the individual as unalienable and which consequently, no majority has a right to deprive them of." (Albert Gallatin of the New York Historical Society, October 7, 1789)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington

Old 07-12-2010, 02:46 AM   #3

Again, a bit of ignorance. But would I have to notify the gun shop prior to ordering, does the shop order it for me? I just dont know how to ge the parts.

Old 07-12-2010, 02:52 AM   #4

What I dont understand is the transfer part. Would I order it, ship it to them and they would give/sell it to me?

Old 07-12-2010, 02:55 AM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1174 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

You can do that. Or you can go to a gunshop and buy the receiver from them. (assuming they have the type you want)

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 07-12-2010, 03:08 AM   #6

Liked 127 Times on 96 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Tim, A Lower receiver is the serialized part of the AR, therefore it must be bought implementing the background check form 4473 by the dealer, as with any gun bought from a dealer.

BUT, you may buy a gun from any person face to face. (of course as long as you are both legally able to own firearms) without the background check.

Utilizing gun sites like Midwest Gun Trader or the like, depending on your location, you may browse ads or place a want ad to find a lower.

There are sites like JSE Surplus that usually have a bargain lower for about $90, and have everyother parts you need to build a rifle. The lower would have to be shipped to an ffl dealer in your area, but all the other parts would come to your door.

I was intimidated by building one and had my first built for me, but fret not, theyre pretty hard to screw up.

I could make a list of a bunch of guns i have, or "have", or wish I had. Why would one feel compelled to provide that infornation freely? Do you feel the need to show off? Is it some immature game of oneupsmanship?

Why do you feel it necessary to list your guns?

Old 07-13-2010, 12:33 AM   #7

Here I've been thinking that my only option was to buy one online! I completely forgot to actually step into a shop to look and buy one. Willfull, your right they do seem pretty hard to mess up. Just follow directions and it should be ok.

Old 07-13-2010, 12:37 AM   #8

Thank you for the info and advice everyone!

Old 07-13-2010, 01:16 AM   #9
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2577 Times on 1353 Posts
Likes Given: 197

To clear up any confusion, the serialized receiver IS a firearm, just as if it were an assembled firearm. All purchase, shipping and transfer restrictions apply to the receiver, the same as a firearm.

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball