Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   AR-15 Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f20/)
-   -   Pardon my ignorance. (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f20/pardon-my-ignorance-29244/)

Tim S 07-12-2010 02:42 AM

Pardon my ignorance.

I've been looking around for a new project to build. I've been eyeing the whole AR15 platform for a while. I watched the assembly of the lower reciever and it really didn't look terribly hard. Plus what others have posted on this site makes me believe I could definatly jump into this. However, I'm not that into guns and have only gone shooting a few times. Not that its a problem, but it leaves me with a few questions. Specifically I noticed on parts websites an FFL is required to purchase lower recievers. Will I have to have a FFL before I purchase any parts? Or are there other ways to get the parts that I'd like? I'm really not that interested in applying for the FFL if it isn't needed. Thanks for any help guys!

Jpyle 07-12-2010 02:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tim S (Post 313836)
I've been looking around for a new project to build. I've been eyeing the whole AR15 platform for a while. I watched the assembly of the lower reciever and it really didn't look terribly hard. Plus what others have posted on this site makes me believe I could definatly jump into this. However, I'm not that into guns and have only gone shooting a few times. Not that its a problem, but it leaves me with a few questions. Specifically I noticed on parts websites an FFL is required to purchase lower recievers. Will I have to have a FFL before I purchase any parts? Or are there other ways to get the parts that I'd like? I'm really not that interested in applying for the FFL if it isn't needed. Thanks for any help guys!

You do not need an FFL, you need to have the receiver shipped to one who will transfer it to you. Any gunshop in your area has an FFL.

Tim S 07-12-2010 02:46 AM

Again, a bit of ignorance. But would I have to notify the gun shop prior to ordering, does the shop order it for me? I just dont know how to ge the parts.

Tim S 07-12-2010 02:52 AM

What I dont understand is the transfer part. Would I order it, ship it to them and they would give/sell it to me?

CA357 07-12-2010 02:55 AM

You can do that. Or you can go to a gunshop and buy the receiver from them. (assuming they have the type you want)

willfully armed 07-12-2010 03:08 AM

Tim, A Lower receiver is the serialized part of the AR, therefore it must be bought implementing the background check form 4473 by the dealer, as with any gun bought from a dealer.

BUT, you may buy a gun from any person face to face. (of course as long as you are both legally able to own firearms) without the background check.

Utilizing gun sites like Midwest Gun Trader or the like, depending on your location, you may browse ads or place a want ad to find a lower.

There are sites like JSE Surplus that usually have a bargain lower for about $90, and have everyother parts you need to build a rifle. The lower would have to be shipped to an ffl dealer in your area, but all the other parts would come to your door.

I was intimidated by building one and had my first built for me, but fret not, theyre pretty hard to screw up.

Tim S 07-13-2010 12:33 AM

Here I've been thinking that my only option was to buy one online! I completely forgot to actually step into a shop to look and buy one. Willfull, your right they do seem pretty hard to mess up. Just follow directions and it should be ok.

Tim S 07-13-2010 12:37 AM

Thank you for the info and advice everyone!

robocop10mm 07-13-2010 01:16 AM

To clear up any confusion, the serialized receiver IS a firearm, just as if it were an assembled firearm. All purchase, shipping and transfer restrictions apply to the receiver, the same as a firearm.