palmetto state or spikes stripped lower ?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > palmetto state or spikes stripped lower ?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-29-2011, 04:38 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default palmetto state or spikes stripped lower ?

Wondering which one the majority prefers. I'll be building here soon I believe and I'm just getting a parts list together. It'll be a DD complete V3 upper with DD lpk, and magpul grip, stock, etc. Need advice on a good buffer tube, and stripped lower. I have had recommedations for both PSA and Spikes, and am just wondering which one you guys think is the better quality....

"...rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm." /G\

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 11-29-2011, 04:53 PM   #2

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Either will do just fine. The lower is just the aluminum shell that holds the trigger /fire control group and has a place for the grip and stock attachment. The parts you put into the lower are far more important than the shell that holds them. In this case, the D.D. parts you've chosen are an excellent choice. Lowers that are mil-spec. cast aluminum are all very similar with few differences. The choice between the two you've picked becomes a matter of which company rollmark you like best.

Last edited by Snakedriver; 11-29-2011 at 05:29 PM.

Old 11-29-2011, 05:12 PM   #3

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

good because palmetto state armory is just minutes from my house and that would be much better than having to get 1 shipped to an f f l dealer.

"...rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm." /G\

Old 11-30-2011, 01:13 AM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1262 Times on 709 Posts
Likes Given: 534

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broke124 View Post
good because palmetto state armory is just minutes from my house and that would be much better than having to get 1 shipped to an f f l dealer.
No reason for you to shop anywhere else!

Old 11-30-2011, 01:17 AM   #5

Quote:

I would say Spikes but only for that same reason. Spikes is about 15 minutes from my house.

-Fred

"Breathe when you can, shoot when you should."
-Rob Leatham

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

"Qui desiderat pacem, bellum praeparat; nemo provocare ne offendere audet quem intelliget superiorem esse pugnaturem"

Old 11-30-2011, 01:21 AM   #6

I have no experience with PSA so I can not and will not write anything bad about them.

Having said that I have built two AR's using Spikes and love them. They fit much better than the AR I built around a DPMS stripped lower or Ardel lower. Something in the back of my mind thinks there is very little difference between the majority of stripped lowers because anybody with a proper program and a good CNC machine can produce them. I heard there are around 200 companies now offering AR lowers. At first that seemed high but when I look around the internet there has to be more than 75 or so.

I would pick a couple good ones (and it seems PSA may be just as good as Spikes) like you have and go with the most economical one.

Old 11-30-2011, 02:12 AM   #7

Liked 1070 Times on 753 Posts
Likes Given: 1075

Nice to live close to PSA, so yeah, why not go with their lower. It looks good too.

Good company with good prices, I'd look at all their stuff.

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.

Old 11-30-2011, 02:41 AM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1177 Times on 767 Posts
Likes Given: 710

Quote:
Wondering which one the majority prefers. I'll be building here soon I believe and I'm just getting a parts list together. It'll be a DD complete V3 upper with DD lpk, and magpul grip, stock, etc. Need advice on a good buffer tube, and stripped lower. I have had recommedations for both PSA and Spikes, and am just wondering which one you guys think is the better quality....

well it seems the lower has been visited but not many buffer suggestions. im running a little pricey buffer but its amazing. its a custom tungsten buffer. it was around 140. but well worth it. i have no BOING noise at all!! it reduces recoil just a tad( not that a .223 has all that much to begin with).

the site is Slash's Heavy Buffers.. my friend and i both have them and im so happy i spent that money
when I am torn into strips and used as bandages
for my wounded comrades on the battlefield,
When I fly at half-mast to honor my soldiers,
Or when I lie in the trembling arms
of a grieving mother
at the graveside of her fallen son.

Old 11-30-2011, 02:47 AM   #9
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2751 Times on 1336 Posts
Likes Given: 1397

I have never heard anything bad about PSA. I have been told they are by Olympic Arms? If anyone knows for sure! I know Spike also has some good receivers as well as Stag, Rock River and others.

Old 11-30-2011, 04:31 AM   #10

Try LRB lowers . I've had good luck with them and they are a great price on pkfirearms.com