Palmetto PA-10 + Shilen Matched Bolt
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion >

Palmetto PA-10 + Shilen Matched Bolt

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old Yesterday, 03:07 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Palmetto PA-10 + Shilen Matched Bolt

Hey all,

I'm building a medium-long range 308 AR and have a compatibility question.

I'm looking at this Shilen barrel and matched bolt set:
http://www.midwayusa.com/product/153425/shilen-drop-in-match-barrel-with-bolt-lr-308-308-winchhester-full-length-tactical-contour-1-in-10-twist-20-stainless-steel

I'm wondering if this bolt will work with a Palmetto Bolt Carrier. The bolt and barrel are made for DPMS LR-308 rifles and I'm uncertain whether the PSA Bolt Carrier and DPMS are exactly the same - allowing interchangeability between bolts.

Thanks!

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old Yesterday, 02:29 PM   #2

Liked 321 Times on 254 Posts
Likes Given: 531

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoulderDash View Post
Hey all,

I'm building a medium-long range 308 AR and have a compatibility question.

I'm looking at this Shilen barrel and matched bolt set:
http://www.midwayusa.com/product/153425/shilen-drop-in-match-barrel-with-bolt-lr-308-308-winchhester-full-length-tactical-contour-1-in-10-twist-20-stainless-steel

I'm wondering if this bolt will work with a Palmetto Bolt Carrier. The bolt and barrel are made for DPMS LR-308 rifles and I'm uncertain whether the PSA Bolt Carrier and DPMS are exactly the same - allowing interchangeability between bolts.

Thanks!
LR 308 is a trademark of DPMS, so going by that, I would say the odds are very high that the product you posted the link for are DPMS compatible. More .308 AR type products are compatible with DPMS than any other configuration. Up until about 5 years ago, almost all .308 manufacturers were proprietary in fit(or so they claimed), so it was really hard to get accessories, and you just about had to get your parts from the manufacturer. Then some folks who had some money started doing side by side comparisons, and found out that some manufacturers had been using DPMS specs for some time, and then the market started opening up. I think at one time in the future, everyone will settle on one format, sorta like when the VCR's were the craze and everyone went to VHS and BETA went down the tubes. I believe there are about 5 different formats for .308's- DPMS, Armalite, Rock River Arms, Bushmaster. If you want another source of DPMS compatible .308 parts, Aero Precision has them.
http://aeroprecisionusa.com/upper-receivers/stripped-uppers/l/m5-308.html

Old Today, 04:41 PM   #3

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

My question was not if the barrel fits a DPMS rifle. Let me clarify.

The Shilen barrel/bolt combo I posted is for DPMS 308 rifles.

My question is this: will the Shilen bolt - made to fit in DPMS carriers - work with a Palmetto carrier?

If possible I'd like to hear from someone with direct experience with the product rather than speculation.

Thanks!