Painting an Ar - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion >

Painting an Ar

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-05-2011, 07:07 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 8 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schmeekey View Post
So I can just spray it with no disassembly? Would it be okay to split the upper and lower (obviously removing the BCG) or do you not want paint inside the action.
Take as much off as possible. Gummy stuff, future chems and smooth cycling usually doesn't add up. Hell, its an AR, it only takes 15min to completely break down. . . I guess if you are really lazy you could stuff newspaper in the lower and top it w/ masking tape.

Old 08-05-2011, 01:06 PM   #12

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

I sprayed mine w/ lower and upper together. No "Gummy" stuff to speak of and the rifle has functioned flawlessly like it did before the paint.

The thing is if you want a camo pattern you have to leave it assembled or your pattern wont match.

Painting an Ar - AR-15 Discussion

Old 08-05-2011, 03:08 PM   #13

I sprayed mine the same as MJKEAT with upper and lower together, but I pretty much took everything off the rifle that bolted on and covered my gas tube and barrel that would be located under my hand guard cause that area gets real hot when putting rounds down range and I am not sure as to how much heat the Krylon Camouflage paint will withstand in a covered area.
ar-15-camo-001.jpg  

Old 08-05-2011, 04:35 PM   #14

Liked 8 Times on 5 Posts

Damn fine job you did there Sublime. The only problems I've had with the Krylon were probably my fault. I use Carb/Brake cleaner after a my initial scrubbing and while in a hurry, let a drip flow down the outside of the ejection port. It ate the Krylon like nothing.

Mj, yeah sure you have to get your pattern, but there's plastic and rubber (D-fenders, what have you) in the guts, so for any sort of Bake-on you gut the gun.

Old 08-05-2011, 04:38 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by diggsbakes View Post
Duracoat isn't as bad as it sounds. I've used a few times on various parts and one AK. The AK came out great! An old grill can be used to speed up the curing. No oven needed. Just set it to super low for a few hours and you don't have to stink up the house and piss off the wife.

Krylon is great in their "High Temp" formula, but I'd only rate their outdoor "Camo" line as GREAT in terms of application and appearance, but OK (at best) for durability. I've experimented w/ a "High Temp" base and clear-coat and it does a little better.
I like the idea of krylon because if I don't like it or want to change it in the future, I only lost a couple bucks in the deal. Dura-coat, although longer lasting and nicer looking, is way more expensive.
Psalms 18:30-35
It is God who arms me with strength and makes my way perfect. He trains my hands for battle; my arms can bend a bow of bronze. You give me your shield of victory, and your right hand sustains me; you stoop down to make me great.

Old 08-05-2011, 04:42 PM   #16

It took me about two hours or so to break down paint and reassemble. I didn't want to drag it out cause the old lady was yelling about the paint smell.

Old 08-05-2011, 04:42 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjkeat View Post
I sprayed mine w/ lower and upper together. No "Gummy" stuff to speak of and the rifle has functioned flawlessly like it did before the paint.

The thing is if you want a camo pattern you have to leave it assembled or your pattern wont match.

Painting an Ar - AR-15 Discussion
Thanks, and very nice rifle. I am officially jealous
It is God who arms me with strength and makes my way perfect. He trains my hands for battle; my arms can bend a bow of bronze. You give me your shield of victory, and your right hand sustains me; you stoop down to make me great.

Old 08-05-2011, 04:46 PM   #18

I really like the brown and tan combo sublime. Thanks for your post

Old 08-05-2011, 06:04 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schmeekey View Post
I really like the brown and tan combo sublime. Thanks for your post
schmeekey I took a piece of card board off, you know, a beer case...lol...and cut one design in it and just used it one way for green and turned it ninety degrees when I sprayed the brown. Also I just held it up next to the rifle I didn't tape it down or anything, doesn't make the edges too sharp and after all that I help the khaki pretty far away about two and a half feet maybe further and misted to help the edges fade even more.

Old 08-05-2011, 06:12 PM   #20
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1230 Times on 857 Posts
Likes Given: 1275

Nice work guys! And thanks for the tips. I think about this from time to time ... but so far my black rifles are still black!
US Army 1966-69, VFW Life Member, Retired Geek