Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > Painting an Ar

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-04-2011, 05:42 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Painting an Ar

So when I have enough money to build/buy an Ar I want to paint it. It needs to be cheap so Krylon seems like the best choice. In numerous photos it looks like they pretty much closed the dust cover and spayed away. I am concerned that it would bind moving parts such as the charging handle, safety, trigger, etc... Is this the case? Anybody with any sort of experience please chime in, It would help me out a lot.

Psalms 18:30-35
It is God who arms me with strength and makes my way perfect. He trains my hands for battle; my arms can bend a bow of bronze. You give me your shield of victory, and your right hand sustains me; you stoop down to make me great.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 08-04-2011, 12:29 PM   #2

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Look into Duracoat.

Old 08-04-2011, 12:32 PM   #3

Default Krylon it up!

I painted this one with krylon from reading this;

Pinestraw strikes again...now with brief TUTORIAL. - AR15.COM

Very easy, very durable and blends in my hunting environment well.

P.S. The flash made it look shiny but it's not. meh

100_3189.jpg  

“You’ve got red on you.” — Shaun of the Dead

Old 08-04-2011, 01:54 PM   #4

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Parts won't bind and Krylon is a great product for doing things like this.

They link above is a great one. The pine needles turned out good. I like when guys use a net also. Here are some more ideas.
Painted AR's - show 'em off! - M4Carbine.net Forums

Old 08-04-2011, 07:53 PM   #5

Liked 46 Times on 28 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schmeekey View Post
So when I have enough money to build/buy an Ar I want to paint it. It needs to be cheap so Krylon seems like the best choice. In numerous photos it looks like they pretty much closed the dust cover and spayed away. I am concerned that it would bind moving parts such as the charging handle, safety, trigger, etc... Is this the case? Anybody with any sort of experience please chime in, It would help me out a lot.
For just a couple of dollars more than Krylon you can get Brownells Alumahyde. The stuff is tougher than woodpecker lips and resistant to solvents etc since it is actually made for firearms. Here are a couple of Alumahyde projects.

Stock

Stock and metal

Stock and metal

Stock

Old 08-04-2011, 08:58 PM   #6

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Those look really nice.

I used Alumahyde II on a Kimber, G17, and AR w/ good results. The flat black was good but the Dark Earth and Foliage were a little shiny.

Old 08-05-2011, 02:02 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atrawick View Post
Look into Duracoat.
This was actually the first thing that I looked into. But... it is incredibly time consuming, and I kind of prefer the look of a krylon painted gun.

It is God who arms me with strength and makes my way perfect. He trains my hands for battle; my arms can bend a bow of bronze. You give me your shield of victory, and your right hand sustains me; you stoop down to make me great.

Old 08-05-2011, 02:20 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjkeat View Post
Parts won't bind and Krylon is a great product for doing things like this.

They link above is a great one. The pine needles turned out good. I like when guys use a net also. Here are some more ideas.
Painted AR's - show 'em off! - M4Carbine.net Forums
So I can just spray it with no disassembly? Would it be okay to split the upper and lower (obviously removing the BCG) or do you not want paint inside the action.

Old 08-05-2011, 03:57 AM   #9

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schmeekey View Post
So I can just spray it with no disassembly? Would it be okay to split the upper and lower (obviously removing the BCG) or do you not want paint inside the action.
I removed the rail, magpul stuff and optics. I'll get a pic in the morning. I couldn't figure how to copy and paste on this dang iPad. Our electric went out and the house got up to 90 so we went to mu moms.

Old 08-05-2011, 07:00 AM   #10

Liked 8 Times on 5 Posts

Duracoat isn't as bad as it sounds. I've used a few times on various parts and one AK. The AK came out great! An old grill can be used to speed up the curing. No oven needed. Just set it to super low for a few hours and you don't have to stink up the house and piss off the wife.

Krylon is great in their "High Temp" formula, but I'd only rate their outdoor "Camo" line as GREAT in terms of application and appearance, but OK (at best) for durability. I've experimented w/ a "High Temp" base and clear-coat and it does a little better.