Are P-TAC uppers any good? - Page 4
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > Are P-TAC uppers any good?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-12-2014, 06:57 PM   #31
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 224 Times on 148 Posts

I've seen uppers listed as blemished Premiums several times. Premium is like a name given to a line of products sold by PSA. A way to distinguish one from the other.

Most Premiums will say the barrel is made by FN in the product description. Everything else described would indicate its an FN but only the PSA overlord knows for sure.

Sent from my iPhone using Firearms Talk

Old 04-12-2014, 06:58 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrontierTCB View Post
I've seen uppers listed as blemished Premiums several times. Premium is like a name given to a line of products sold by PSA. A way to distinguish one from the other.

Most Premiums will say the barrel is made by FN in the product description. Everything else described would indicate its an FN but only the PSA overlord knows for sure.

Either way I'm sure you won't be disappointed.

Old 04-13-2014, 07:02 AM   #33
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 258 Times on 203 Posts
Likes Given: 36

Having now built 4 different rifles with PTAC uppers, let me give you the low-down:

On a scale of 1-100...

PTAC quality: ~35-40
PTAC sells at the price of a: 20

So it's a good value purchase in my estimation. They're as good or better than the upper that'll come on your basic entry level $600-900 AR, and you can easily end up on the cheaper end of that spectrum with a PSA/PTAC build. Perfect option for someone looking to build a sub-$800 rifle. But if you want to spend around $1K, spring for a PSA (FN barrel) or BCM upper. I believe you'll find it a worthwhile upgrade.

Old 04-13-2014, 02:50 PM   #34

Default Are P-TAC uppers any good?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweeper22 View Post
Having now built 4 different rifles with PTAC uppers, let me give you the low-down:

On a scale of 1-100...

So it's a good value purchase in my estimation. They're as good or better than the upper that'll come on your basic entry level $600-900 AR, and you can easily end up on the cheaper end of that spectrum with a PSA/PTAC build. Perfect option for someone looking to build a sub-$800 rifle. But if you want to spend around $1K, spring for a PSA (FN barrel) or BCM upper. I believe you'll find it a worthwhile upgrade.
Well said. I think that pretty much sums my opinion as well.

Personally if I'm already spending several hundred bucks on a build I will spend an extra hundred or so on the upper and barrel to get quality products. I don't skimp on those, or the BCG or FCG as those are the important components of the rifle.

At the same time if its a rifle I'm keeping for myself I won't spend extra cash for a special logo or zombie gimmick roll mark.

Old 04-19-2014, 07:35 PM   #35

Liked 158 Times on 111 Posts
Likes Given: 171

Default Are P-TAC uppers any good?

Should I be concerned its been 10 days and psa has not shipped?

Grant me the victory over my foes and those that wish to harm me and mine. Let not my last thought be “ If only I had my gun” ; and Lord if today is truly the day that You call me home , Let me die in a pile of brass.

Old 04-19-2014, 07:37 PM   #36
Cancer Killa
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: -1 reviews

Liked 361 Times on 222 Posts
Likes Given: 645

Quote:
Originally Posted by beastmode986 View Post
Should I be concerned its been 10 days and psa has not shipped?

That's par for the course. They are not known for fast shipping. In fact, I'm a PSA dealer and my orders take close to 2 weeks to get to me.

Owner/Armorer at Argyle Armoring, LLC - FFL 07
NRA Life Member
What do I know? I'm only a professional.

People Like This 
Old 04-24-2014, 11:27 PM   #37

They're kind of pissing me off... 15 days since the order was placed and still no tracking number. On top of that, I read on another forum someone ordered the same upper april 15th and its already shipped.

Grant me the victory over my foes and those that wish to harm me and mine. Let not my last thought be “ If only I had my gun” ; and Lord if today is truly the day that You call me home , Let me die in a pile of brass.

Old 04-25-2014, 07:32 PM   #38

Liked 74 Times on 62 Posts
Likes Given: 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by beastmode986 View Post
They're kind of pissing me off... 15 days since the order was placed and still no tracking number. On top of that, I read on another forum someone ordered the same upper april 15th and its already shipped.
Hey Beast. Go to PSA site and give them a contact with your order #. Just make sure it's past the 15 day wait time. That means using Monday to Friday as your wait time.

They'll get back to you and let you know what's up. If you belong to AR15.com you can go to the "Industry" section(scroll down to Palmetto State Armory) and do the same thing, and it may even be quicker as a contact.

Just remember that the Site you ordered from does say--may take longer due to holidays and ordering delays(not exact wording). They sell a tremendous volumn of products due to the great costs.

I ordered a Premium Madness M4A1 Upper from them in February, and I didn't receive any order tracking # from them for around 20 days, but it was worth it.

Old 04-25-2014, 08:54 PM   #39

Liked 1026 Times on 722 Posts
Likes Given: 1023

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweeper22 View Post

On a scale of 1-100...

That's good to know you've gotten decent uppers going with PTAC. They're probably acceptable for a low end build but I agree it makes more sense to kick in a little more for the PSA brand upper with FN milspec barrel. And it's truly not that much, especially for a blem upper. A couple years ago my PSA upper/FN barrel was about $280 (16" midlength, M4 handguards, not blem, no BCG, no CH) while my BCM upper spec'ed the same was $409. It's really hard to beat PSA when you catch a sale or blem.

Shipping, well it takes time. My upper took three weeks but it was a Labor Day sale so everyone and their brother ordered.

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.

Old 04-25-2014, 11:47 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triumphman View Post
Hey Beast. Go to PSA site and give them a contact with your order #. Just make sure it's past the 15 day wait time. That means using Monday to Friday as your wait time.

They'll get back to you and let you know what's up. If you belong to AR15.com you can go to the "Industry" section(scroll down to Palmetto State Armory) and do the same thing, and it may even be quicker as a contact.

Just remember that the Site you ordered from does say--may take longer due to holidays and ordering delays(not exact wording). They sell a tremendous volumn of products due to the great costs.

I ordered a Premium Madness M4A1 Upper from them in February, and I didn't receive any order tracking # from them for around 20 days, but it was worth it.

Thanks for the advice! Its been 13 days so far only counting weekdays. It frustrates me when I read someone ordered something later than me and is getting it sooner though. I guess ill wait these 2 more days to see if its emailed.