Are P-TAC uppers any good? - Page 3
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > Are P-TAC uppers any good?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-09-2014, 05:52 PM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 246 Times on 163 Posts

That's awesome. Prices keep getting better. It's a great time to be into building ARs.

I don't have any experience with that particular barrel, but I imagine after the obligatory "PSA WAITING PERIOD" you will be very happy.

My 4th upper assembly from them is scheduled to be here tomorrow, all have been "premiums" and GTG. Ordered this one about 3 weeks ago.

Sent from my iPhone using Firearms Talk

Old 04-09-2014, 09:04 PM   #22

Liked 105 Times on 85 Posts
Likes Given: 52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibmikey View Post
Premium PSA and Del Ton are comparable quality, I have both and cannot say anything bad about them after many rounds of ammo. My Del Tons do not have chrome lined bores but are quite accurate, whereas all of my PSA rifles are chrome and several CHF. What more is there? They all shoot, give no problems and use quality parts. Because of the price Del Ton is often overlooked or put in the "low tier" by the elitists, but this is not so.
Gotta disagree somewhat between PSA "Premium" with Del-Ton.

Psa Premium Barrels are from FN. This is a top quality Military type Barrel with better metal alloys in it to keep strength and accuracy. It's Machine Gun worthy, along with being Chrome Lined w/ Chrome Bore and Extension.

Look to see who makes Del-Ton Barrels and compare, as I don't know who makes their Barrels.

PSA also having the PTAC Lineup, their Barrels are very accurate from Photos I've seen on another Site I frequent, and while the Barrels are NOT CL, they apparently do shoot with very good accuracy and everybody that has these are quite pleased with them. Nobody has mentioned, but I imagine these Barrels are 4140 and not 4150. Nothing wrong, just that Barrel won't hold up as well from the heat if you decide to do Mag Dumps frequently, and not having Chrome Lining to help protect.

I'm also seeing PSA taking care of their Customer's very well, if they run into problems with the PTAC Lineup.

Old 04-10-2014, 01:20 AM   #23

Liked 158 Times on 111 Posts
Likes Given: 171

So what is a cheaper bcg you guys recommend? Psa has m16 bcg's for 80$ is it better to spend more and get a coated/plated one? Last time I was at a gun show some guy was selling bcg's that were shiny for 110$ He said they were nickel boron coated but I always thought they had a dull finish?

Sent from my iPhone using Firearms Talk
Grant me the victory over my foes and those that wish to harm me and mine. Let not my last thought be “ If only I had my gun” ; and Lord if today is truly the day that You call me home , Let me die in a pile of brass.

Old 04-10-2014, 02:07 AM   #24

Hey Beast, be careful of some of the PSA BCGs. If it POSITIVELY DOES NOT say the Bolt is C-158, then the Bolt is 8620. This of course from past experience.

I have one of the 8620 BCG's I got during the panic. Nothing absolutely wrong with it, but PSA wasn't quite honest with their Customer's and product write ups during this time to get out a product, and they were called out about it. I believe they changed their Product write ups to reflect their error and give the Customer an honest shake. Haven't looked for a BCG in a long time but prices are coming down every day to reflect good overstock deals.

Old 04-10-2014, 06:30 AM   #25
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1158 Times on 813 Posts
Likes Given: 1180

Looks like the Freedom upper is about the same level as the PTAC. It doesn't have the FN 4150 CL barrel like the Premiums but hopefully will work out fine.

As far as PSA's BCGs Triumphman is right, get the C-158 bolt not 8620. I'd get the HP/MPI Premium model with standard phosphate coating and M16 carrier.
US Army 1966-69, VFW Life Member, Retired Geek

Old 04-11-2014, 04:24 AM   #26

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

So what's the difference between a "premium" PSA upper and a basic PSA upper? The reason I ask is I purchased a PSA upper with CL barrel 1:7, HT MPI and full auto M16 BCG. In the discription was just PSA upper not mentioning the word "Premium". I see some online that say "premium" and has all the same specs as mine.

Old 04-11-2014, 02:46 PM   #27
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1158 Times on 813 Posts
Likes Given: 1180

Well the Premium upper tends to have a PSA logo on the receiver and an FN barrel. A couple years ago I got a "Madness" upper (more so a sale item than a model) that came with the FN barrel I wanted and a non-logoed receiver. At the time there was a Premium version that was exactly the same except it had their logo and cost $150 more (part of that because it wasn't on sale).

It sounds like yours may be like mine, premium specs but no logo. Did you get the FN barrel?

Their Premium BCG comes with a HP/MPI C-158 bolt and a staked M16 carrier with a logo. Their second best BCG isn't HP tested and has no logo.

With PSA you have to read the specs close as they do change from time to time.

Hopefully someone can provide more up to date info, I haven't checked in the last year.

ETA:
The PTAC uppers are cheaper and don't come with FN milspec barrels.
US Army 1966-69, VFW Life Member, Retired Geek

Last edited by Quentin; 04-11-2014 at 02:52 PM.

Old 04-12-2014, 03:35 AM   #28

I purchased a "Premium" Upper Assembly just in February 2014. It was a "Madness" which pertained I believe, more to the price than anything. SKU#29084 w/free shipping. It was only $289.99 without CH or BCG.

What I got was a M4A1 / FN / CMV Barrel 16" w/pinned F-marked Front Sight. It had "PALMETTO"(typed out) 1/7 CL, stamped under the Hand Guard. The Chamber and Extension were also Chrome Lined. The Receiver was marked with PSA's Logo in a permanent "white" Ink on left side.

No, it did not have a MOE Hand Guard. It was just a simple "Double Wall" Hand Guard. I immediately changed it out for a CAA Hand Guard. It just fit my hand better.

Old 04-12-2014, 12:32 PM   #29

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

This is what I got. I think it has all the same specs but it isn't listed as a premium.

http://palmettostatearmory.com/index.php/psa-m4-16-cmv-cl-stripped-upper-with-bcg-and-charging-handle-1.html

Last edited by Jim_53172; 04-12-2014 at 12:35 PM.

Old 04-12-2014, 03:51 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim_53172 View Post
This is what I got. I think it has all the same specs but it isn't listed as a premium.

http://palmettostatearmory.com/index.php/psa-m4-16-cmv-cl-stripped-upper-with-bcg-and-charging-handle-1.html
CAN'T be considered as "Premium" due to being listed as a "Blemished". Other than that, it'll be excellent and is what the premium is, and you probably won't even find what is the blemish.
Jim_53172 Likes This