Are P-TAC uppers any good?
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion >

Are P-TAC uppers any good?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-26-2014, 06:32 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 158 Times on 111 Posts
Likes Given: 171

Default Are P-TAC uppers any good?

http://palmettostatearmory.com/index.php/ptac-16-m4-1-7-upper-with-bolt-carrier-group-and-charging-handle.html

http://palmettostatearmory.com/index.php/ptac-16-m4-1-7-5-56-nato-ss12g2-upper-w-bolt-carrier-group-and-charging-handle.html
This seems like a great deal but hows the quality on these? Should the bcg be upgraded later on?

Sent from my iPhone using Firearms Talk
Grant me the victory over my foes and those that wish to harm me and mine. Let not my last thought be “ If only I had my gun” ; and Lord if today is truly the day that You call me home , Let me die in a pile of brass.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 02-26-2014, 06:54 PM   #2

Liked 752 Times on 451 Posts
Likes Given: 402

I have no experience with the P-TAC line but IMHO I eould save a bit longer and get the genuine PSA products. The price difference is small enough I would spring for the regular upper. In my experience you get what you pay for but as I have said I only have experience with the premium PSA uppers and say they are worth every penny, esp when you catch them on sale.
Dahamp2003 Likes This 
Old 02-26-2014, 07:33 PM   #3

Liked 43 Times on 37 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Palmetto premium stuff is just that...premium. I have many rifles using their uppers or total parts and there is just no stopping them. P tac is outsourced from another company and serviceable for guns that are not going to receive a lot of shooting, my buddy has a PSA supplied P tac which has a non chrome lined barrel and inexpensive BCG wrapped in a nice Mid West Ind rail that he bought on the cheap. On paper it shows.

Old 02-26-2014, 07:48 PM   #4

Liked 561 Times on 379 Posts

I have PSA premium stuff but this question has been asked many times and it seems the majority of the answers are stay away from P-tac go with PSA premium.
It seems for the PSA stuff it's just a little bit more not much

One
Big
Ass
Mistake
America
Dahamp2003 Likes This 
Old 02-26-2014, 08:01 PM   #5

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I have a ptac upper on a build that I done for my son. I have no complaints. It's the ptac m4 upper no chrome lined with a 1 in 9 twist. Don't have a lot of rounds through it probably 100-150 so far and only had 1 fail to feed and it was a old mag got a new mag and it runs fine. Have not tried to drive tacks with it but he did kill a deer with it this year. It's done everything we have needed it to do so no complaints here.

purehavoc Likes This 
Old 02-26-2014, 08:13 PM   #6

Liked 1151 Times on 747 Posts
Likes Given: 2042

I bought one of their PTac LPKs for a cheap build and it was the smoothest and shortest take up of 14-15 premium LPKs that I have purchased from them . Now I cant say that about the next kit because it may not be like that but I was pretty impressed with it . I cant say much about the upper as I owned one for about 3 weeks and turned it , I never got to fire it but the finish was OK I think they use blem uppers as the interior of the upper had anodizing flaws but who looks at the inside anyway ? For the money I think they are pretty decent but they are not Chrome lined and for the little bit of extra $$$ I would go with a premium upper and at least have a CL or even better a HF/ CL barrel

And Dictators Prefer Unarmed Citizens

Last edited by purehavoc; 02-26-2014 at 08:17 PM.

Old 02-26-2014, 11:27 PM   #7

Default Are P-TAC uppers any good?

Thanks guys, so the premiums are pretty good for the money? Im thinking ill save for one of those. I haven't had the best luck when I cheap out on stuff.
Grant me the victory over my foes and those that wish to harm me and mine. Let not my last thought be “ If only I had my gun” ; and Lord if today is truly the day that You call me home , Let me die in a pile of brass.
People Like This 
Old 02-27-2014, 12:24 AM   #8

Liked 249 Times on 166 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by beastmode986 View Post
Thanks guys, so the premiums are pretty good for the money? Im thinking ill save for one of those. I haven't had the best luck when I cheap out on stuff.
Wise decision. I've bought two premium uppers from them over the last few months and just got to shoot them the other day. They were both flawless. A premium BCG came with one of them, it is also good quality.

purehavoc Likes This 
Old 02-27-2014, 12:51 AM   #9

Liked 339 Times on 271 Posts
Likes Given: 51

They're quite good...for the price.

I'd greatly prefer a PTAC build to a DPMS.
But I'd still prefer to spend an extra $100 for a PSA upper of similar format.

Old 02-27-2014, 01:22 AM   #10

Also, are the premium uppers better than the del-ton uppers?

And what's the main advantage of a mid length gas system or one of the 20" uppers with the rifle length gas system?