Are p.s.a ar15s rifles good? Does anybody have a palmetto state armory ar rifle? - Page 7
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > Are p.s.a ar15s rifles good? Does anybody have a palmetto state armory ar rifle?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-08-2012, 09:57 PM   #61
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 54 Times on 43 Posts

I have heard good things about the Wilson barrels. The suppressors are a bit of a mystery. Wilson won't post any stats on its performance and few people are willing to pony up $1200 and wait six months for an unproven product.
The silencer forum site has a bunch of discussions about it but no results on performance.

Old 12-21-2012, 02:05 AM   #62

Liked 41 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 62

I picked up my new upper yesterday. It dropped right in and looks great. No machining marks, no defects, no problems at all. I'm planning to take it out tomorrow and shoot it a little bit. It's got the Vortex Red/Green Dot that came with my upper as well as the Magpul BUIS. I'll get them both sighted in and see how it does.

I did notice a slight gap between the upper and the lower, but it's not significant and it's consistent from front to back. It doesn't rattle or anything so I'm ok with it.

So far, so good. I'll post again tomorrow after I shoot it (if I get to).

Three old hunters were walking through the woods one day. The first looks over at the others and says, "Windy isn't it?" The second says, "I was sure it was Thursday." The third says, "Me too! The heck with hunting, let's go get a beer!"

Last edited by heymatthew; 12-21-2012 at 02:20 AM.

Old 12-21-2012, 02:15 AM   #63
fmj

Liked 753 Times on 437 Posts
Likes Given: 306

Quote:
Originally Posted by heymatthew View Post
I picked up my new upper yesterday. So far, so good. It dropped right in and looks great. No machining marks, no defects, no problems at all. I'm planning to take it out tomorrow and shoot it a little bit. It's got the Vortex Red/Green Dot that came with my upper as well as the Magpul BUIS. I'll get them both sighted in and see how it does.

I did notice a slight gap between the upper and the lower, but it's not significant and it's consistent from front to back. It doesn't rattle or anything so I'm ok with it.

So far, so good. I'll post again tomorrow after I shoot it (if I get to).
Good deal!! I hope to get out to shoot soon as well....but prolly not till after x-mas.

The 1911: Turning useless trash into good fertilizer for over 100 years!!

Old 12-21-2012, 02:20 AM   #64

Also, here's a (very poor) photo of the rifle as it stands now minus the Magpul rear sight... Not sure about the AFG yet. I might try a vertical grip and see if it feels a little better.

Sorry for the crappy iPhone picture.

Three old hunters were walking through the woods one day. The first looks over at the others and says, "Windy isn't it?" The second says, "I was sure it was Thursday." The third says, "Me too! The heck with hunting, let's go get a beer!"

Old 12-21-2012, 02:43 AM   #65
fmj

Quote:
Also, here's a (very poor) photo of the rifle as it stands now minus the Magpul rear sight... Not sure about the AFG yet. I might try a vertical grip and see if it feels a little better.

Sorry for the crappy iPhone picture.

SUHHWEEET!!!

Is the colored lettering stock? That ads some "pop" (god i hate that term) to it.

Old 12-21-2012, 03:03 AM   #66

Quote:
Originally Posted by fmj View Post
SUHHWEEET!!!

Is the colored lettering stock? That ads some "pop" (god i hate that term) to it.
Thanks man! I appreciate it. The lettering wasn't like that when I got it. I used a little Testor's flat enamel to fill them in. A lot of people think it's hokey, but I like the color on the pictograms. The lettering was kind of an accident. Some of the white ran into the lettering and I couldn't get it out so I filled it in. I think it turned out okay...

Old 12-21-2012, 03:10 AM   #67
fmj

Quote:
Thanks man! I appreciate it. The lettering wasn't like that when I got it. I used a little Testor's flat enamel to fill them in. A lot of people think it's hokey, but I like the color on the pictograms. The lettering was kind of an accident. Some of the white ran into the lettering and I couldn't get it out so I filled it in. I think it turned out okay...
I have been thinking about coloring the PSA logo white for kicks and giggles...i like the look.

Old 12-21-2012, 03:20 AM   #68

Quote:
I have been thinking about coloring the PSA logo white for kicks and giggles...i like the look.
I think it looks nice. I mean, if I were REALLY in a tactical situation, I'd want my rifle to be camo or solid black. But for a sporting rifle, I think it looks good. The PSA logo on my upper was already white (you can see it just below the optic). I didn't want to do too much to it so I just did the pictograms and the lettering.

If you do it, have PLENTY of paint thinner on hand as well as some Hoppe's No. 9. I just took a Q-tip and put a glob of paint over the pictograms/lettering and then used a paper towel saturated with thinner to wipe up the excess. I found that just dragging it across the surface with just the weight of the paper towel pulled up the excess nicely. I noticed that after it dried, there was a little bit of a "film" on the lower from where the thinner spread the paint out and it dried. I used some Hoppes No. 9 on a rag and it came right up.

Old 12-21-2012, 03:32 AM   #69
fmj

Quote:
I think it looks nice. I mean, if I were REALLY in a tactical situation, I'd want my rifle to be camo or solid black. But for a sporting rifle, I think it looks good. The PSA logo on my upper was already white (you can see it just below the optic). I didn't want to do too much to it so I just did the pictograms and the lettering.

If you do it, have PLENTY of paint thinner on hand as well as some Hoppe's No. 9. I just took a Q-tip and put a glob of paint over the pictograms/lettering and then used a paper towel saturated with thinner to wipe up the excess. I found that just dragging it across the surface with just the weight of the paper towel pulled up the excess nicely. I noticed that after it dried, there was a little bit of a "film" on the lower from where the thinner spread the paint out and it dried. I used some Hoppes No. 9 on a rag and it came right up.
Yeah, the logo on the upper is white on mine like yours...but i was thinking of filling in the "roll mark" or the engraving on the mag well. Thanks for the tips....i might have to try it out if/when bored tomorrow.

Old 12-21-2012, 02:42 PM   #70

Liked 1131 Times on 736 Posts
Likes Given: 2021

Quote:
Yeah, the logo on the upper is white on mine like yours...but i was thinking of filling in the "roll mark" or the engraving on the mag well. Thanks for the tips....i might have to try it out if/when bored tomorrow.
I like mine all black I even blacked out the PSA logo on the upper with a grease pen