Are p.s.a ar15s rifles good? Does anybody have a palmetto state armory ar rifle? - Page 4
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > Are p.s.a ar15s rifles good? Does anybody have a palmetto state armory ar rifle?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-06-2012, 04:06 AM   #31
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 7 Times on 4 Posts

I have a lower parts kit from them never had any problems... I've seen people recommend stay away from their lower and uppers but I have no problem with my parts hopefully you get the same draftsmanship

Old 12-06-2012, 10:20 AM   #32
fmj

Liked 753 Times on 437 Posts
Likes Given: 306

Quote:
Originally Posted by heymatthew View Post
Seems like you're doing well to me! I understood everything you said.

Glad to hear that PSA delivered on your products and made right anything that was wrong. Fortunately for me, I live a short drive from them and I can deal with any issues in-person. I would have gone over there on Black Friday or the weekend after and just bought what I wanted in-person, but I was out of town for the weekend with my folks so I couldn't get there. Thus my trying to change an internet order to an in-person pickup.

I know they got slammed that weekend so I'm not expecting any miracles. And it's been close to 10 business days so there's a chance it's too late to stop the machine, but if there's a way, I'm sure they'll find it and let me know. Otherwise, I'll be at the mercy of UPS (which is an different rant entirely).

"Growing Pains" is a great way to put it. They'll learn eventually what kind of volume they do on the big sale weekends and pre-build this stuff. They're a pretty small operation and their warehouse, while pretty large, isn't hundreds of acres like Amazon.com or something. Buying 10,000 pre-assembled uppers and storing them could cause a logistical nightmare for those guys and you'd be lucky if they ever found what you ordered. I think eventually, it would be nice if they pre-built X number of sale item and did a first come, first served deal. If you're within the number of pre-builds, your item ships within a couple of days. Otherwise, you wait for the build. This would cut down on extended lead times while getting early adopters their products quicker. I'm sure they're working on it though. I'm just glad they're close by so I have the option to deal in-person.

Keep bringing good thoughts on the PSA stuff our way. I love to hear it as it just reinforces my excitement for the stuff I ordered from them.

Also, if you don't mind me asking, what was your issue with them? I don't want this to turn into a PSA-bash-fest, but I'd be interested in knowing the scope of the problem you had as well as their steps to make it right.
Ordered and received my PSA M-4 from Joebobs. Great deal, was shipped and received promptly. First time i have ever purchased a gun over the interwebs. Quite pleased with the interaction there.

Took M-4 to the range and started blasting. It would FTE, on average, about 1 in 10 rounds. It would extract the spent case from the chamber, just not chuck it out, but instead drop it right back on top of the fresh round and attempt to chamber both the spent and live round. No rhyme or reason to it. Sometimes it would run fine in a full mag. dump, rapid fire, no issues, sometimes it would misfeed. It would run a mag/ mag and a half just fine slow fire, "precision shooting", then out of nowhere misfeed. Different weights, case, brands of ammo was used. Somewhere in the vicinity of 750-800 rounds before i finally decided there was a serious issue.

I then commenced to e-mail and call PSA to let them know about my issues. I could NEVER get thru on the phone and my 2-3 e-mails in a 3-4 week period went ignored. When i finally got angry and sent a serious hate mail to customer service threatening to $H!T talk them at every turn, and how i had just returned from a machine gun shoot, with over 100 "black gun" enthusiasts in attendance from MI, IN and OH and that they had all gotten to see first hand the issue...THAT got their attention. I received an e-mail from the chief indian there (his name eludes me, this was back in june) and an explanation about how my first e-mails came when they were "switching over their system"...whatever. Anywho, with that e-mail was a UPS shipping label. I sent the upper back, free shipping, exactly 7 days later, i mean exactly, i dropped the box with local UPS at 10-11 a.m. Fri, received it back at my door10-11 a.m. the next friday.

What they found was an out of spec. ejector spring.

Issue was resolved and the M-4 has ran like a dream, without so much as the slightest hint of a hiccup since. Well, save that its a hungry beast and i have issues keeping it fed...

Anywho, an aggravating situation was properly resolved, (with the proper application of foot to @$$) I am happy with my M-4 and the company i did business with. I dont hesitate to recommend their equipment nor will i hesitate to buy another...which i am thinking about doing. (either a Henry big boy 44 mag, a Ruger Redhawk in .44 or another M-4gery are next on the "kill" list...decisions decisions...so many guns, so little money)

Again, i chalk it all up to "Growing Pains". They are a small, relatively unknown company that is gaining national recognition for putting out top quality equipment for a good price.

The 1911: Turning useless trash into good fertilizer for over 100 years!!

Old 12-06-2012, 10:50 AM   #33

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

This might be a little off subject but I'm relatively new to the ar scene and its nice to see a group of people whom of which are so understanding of a companies "growing pains" I know for a fact in most other industries this would not be so. Its nice to know there is still hope for this country.

Old 12-06-2012, 11:39 AM   #34
fmj

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwalsh66 View Post
This might be a little off subject but I'm relatively new to the ar scene and its nice to see a group of people whom of which are so understanding of a companies "growing pains" I know for a fact in most other industries this would not be so. Its nice to know there is still hope for this country.
Believe me brother, if it were an established company like say Colt (just picking a name from thin air here) we were talking about here, i wouldnt be NEAR as understanding. But i feel i got a gun that will run with the big dogs (Colt etc) for 1/2 the price. For that amount of coin...i can afford to be a little understanding.

That being said, EVERY company that produces something mechanical is going to have a glitch or bad apple from time to time...its all in how they take care of the issue/make it right.

Old 12-06-2012, 12:00 PM   #35
FAA licensed bugsmasher
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2137 Times on 1160 Posts
Likes Given: 771

And 95% of AR manufacturers are all experiencing "growing pains" right now. Very few of them can keep up with demand.

Scott

Quote:
If you're not representing Jesus in a way that makes people want to hang out with you, you're doing it wrong.
Quote:
Those who refuse to participate in politics shall be governed by their inferiors. -Plato
Regent Holdings What you need to know about silver, gold, and the economy.

Join the NRA

Old 12-06-2012, 04:21 PM   #36
fmj

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottA View Post
And 95% of AR manufacturers are all experiencing "growing pains" right now. Very few of them can keep up with demand.
Great point! and i would say just not AR manufacturers but ALL gun makers.

No one can Owebummers regime is a complete failure...he is THE BEST gun salesman in the history of the world.

purehavoc Likes This 
Old 12-06-2012, 04:26 PM   #37

Liked 41 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 62

Quote:
Originally Posted by fmj View Post
Ordered and received my PSA M-4 from Joebobs. Great deal, was shipped and received promptly. First time i have ever purchased a gun over the interwebs. Quite pleased with the interaction there.

Took M-4 to the range and started blasting. It would FTE, on average, about 1 in 10 rounds. It would extract the spent case from the chamber, just not chuck it out, but instead drop it right back on top of the fresh round and attempt to chamber both the spent and live round. No rhyme or reason to it. Sometimes it would run fine in a full mag. dump, rapid fire, no issues, sometimes it would misfeed. It would run a mag/ mag and a half just fine slow fire, "precision shooting", then out of nowhere misfeed. Different weights, case, brands of ammo was used. Somewhere in the vicinity of 750-800 rounds before i finally decided there was a serious issue.

I then commenced to e-mail and call PSA to let them know about my issues. I could NEVER get thru on the phone and my 2-3 e-mails in a 3-4 week period went ignored. When i finally got angry and sent a serious hate mail to customer service threatening to $H!T talk them at every turn, and how i had just returned from a machine gun shoot, with over 100 "black gun" enthusiasts in attendance from MI, IN and OH and that they had all gotten to see first hand the issue...THAT got their attention. I received an e-mail from the chief indian there (his name eludes me, this was back in june) and an explanation about how my first e-mails came when they were "switching over their system"...whatever. Anywho, with that e-mail was a UPS shipping label. I sent the upper back, free shipping, exactly 7 days later, i mean exactly, i dropped the box with local UPS at 10-11 a.m. Fri, received it back at my door10-11 a.m. the next friday.

Issue was resolved and the M-4 has ran like a dream, without so much as the slightest hint of a hiccup since. Well, save that its a hungry beast and i have issues keeping it fed...

Anywho, an aggravating situation was properly resolved, (with the proper application of foot to @$$) I am happy with my M-4 and the company i did business with. I dont hesitate to recommend their equipment nor will i hesitate to buy another...which i am thinking about doing. (either a Henry big boy 44 mag, a Ruger Redhawk in .44 or another M-4gery are next on the "kill" list...decisions decisions...so many guns, so little money)

Again, i chalk it all up to "Growing Pains". They are a small, relatively unknown company that is gaining national recognition for putting out top quality equipment for a good price.
First, I'm sorry you had the issue to begin with.

Second, and perhaps more importantly, I'm glad that you were able to get it resolved and that you didn't go lambasting PSA all over the interwebs and various fora. You seem like a fairly understanding individual and I'm glad you gave them the benefit of the doubt.

Hard to pass up a lever rifle... I'd have a hard time choosing. Enjoy whatever you end up with.
Three old hunters were walking through the woods one day. The first looks over at the others and says, "Windy isn't it?" The second says, "I was sure it was Thursday." The third says, "Me too! The heck with hunting, let's go get a beer!"

Old 12-06-2012, 05:10 PM   #38

Liked 41 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 62

Got an email back from PSA today about my order. They've switched it over to in-store pickup at their Warehouse Storefront. I'm really looking forward to it and hope that the in-store pickup option will get in my hands a day or two earlier than if it were shipped.

Three old hunters were walking through the woods one day. The first looks over at the others and says, "Windy isn't it?" The second says, "I was sure it was Thursday." The third says, "Me too! The heck with hunting, let's go get a beer!"
fmj Likes This 
Old 12-06-2012, 07:15 PM   #39

Liked 1003 Times on 705 Posts
Likes Given: 1003

Quote:
Originally Posted by heymatthew View Post
Got an email back from PSA today about my order. They've switched it over to in-store pickup at their Warehouse Storefront. I'm really looking forward to it and hope that the in-store pickup option will get in my hands a day or two earlier than if it were shipped.
Well that's good news. Hopefully you'll have it well before Christmas!

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.

Old 12-06-2012, 07:31 PM   #40

Liked 1003 Times on 705 Posts
Likes Given: 1003

Quote:
Originally Posted by fmj View Post

I'm glad PSA resolved the problem, fmj. And glad you like your rifle. It shouldn't have taken so many inquiries from you but once you got their attention they did the right thing. I had trouble getting their attention on an order missing some parts but they finally took care of it. This is an issue they need to address because like you said bad publicity won't do them good.

And as you said even the elite companies make mistakes. I had the same problem you did with my Daniel Defense upper except the FTE was less frequent. I ordered a BCM extractor kit which resolved the issue. I can't find anything wrong with the DD extractor so believe it was the spring like yours. I should have run this by DD but never did. It would have been interesting how they handled it, especially since I later read of similar problems with some DD extractor springs. Anyway, I kept the DD extractor, pitched the spring since I have plenty of BCM spares.

ETA:

One other thing on this fairly common problem. Often the company will ask if you have the O ring installed (the DD bolt did have one installed and I removed it). I don't like the idea of using one and suspected DD customer support would tell me to reinstall it. I wanted a permanent fix, not a bandaid.

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.

Last edited by Quentin; 12-06-2012 at 07:37 PM.