Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   AR-15 Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f20/)
-   -   Out-of-state lower transfer (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f20/out-state-lower-transfer-22202/)

bkt 01-15-2010 10:28 AM

Out-of-state lower transfer

A buddy of mine at work is building an AR. The upper he has is NOT New York State legal -- it has a bayonet lug and a removable brake. So he can't put it on a post-ban lower without it being an illegal firearm. His son in West Virginia has a pre-ban lower and my friend wants to buy a post-ban lower and trade lowers with his son. That way, he'll have a pre-ban rifle that is legal.

Should he go through an FFL since it's an out-of-state trade? Would they both need FFLs to handle the transfer?

robocop10mm 01-15-2010 12:38 PM

I believe the short answer is yes. If the lowers are shipped interstate they must go through FFLs. If it is FTF it is OK.

Jpyle 01-16-2010 12:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bkt (Post 213066)
A buddy of mine at work is building an AR. The upper he has is NOT New York State legal -- it has a bayonet lug and a removable brake. So he can't put it on a post-ban lower without it being an illegal firearm. His son in West Virginia has a pre-ban lower and my friend wants to buy a post-ban lower and trade lowers with his son. That way, he'll have a pre-ban rifle that is legal.

Should he go through an FFL since it's an out-of-state trade? Would they both need FFLs to handle the transfer?

Before going through all the trouble I would recommend that you double check the NY definition of pre-ban firearms. In some instance pre-ban is simply a configuration that include said "evil black gun" features. Some states require that a true pre-ban, subject to grandfathering, would had to have been assembled from parts maunfactured prior to the Oct 1994 ban date.

bkt 01-16-2010 10:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jpyle (Post 213524)
Before going through all the trouble I would recommend that you double check the NY definition of pre-ban firearms. In some instance pre-ban is simply a configuration that include said "evil black gun" features. Some states require that a true pre-ban, subject to grandfathering, would had to have been assembled from parts maunfactured prior to the Oct 1994 ban date.

That's a good point. There is some confusion over whether the lower determines the legality of a rifle (pre-ban/post-ban status) or if the entire rifle -- upper and lower, stock, etc. -- had to be assembled as a unit prior to 1994.

Assuming it's the lower that determines that status of a rifle in NY, I wondered about getting it from WV to here. FTF sales are legal and require no FFL if the two parties are in the same county. I wasn't sure if there was an exception for immediate family selling or trading long guns who don't live in the same county.