optics: what to do - Page 4
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > optics: what to do

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-31-2010, 09:12 AM   #31
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 16 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Have you thought about getting an EO-Tech then buying their aftermarker quick detach magnifer.

I have the XPS 2-0 and I'm confident in my ability to hit out to 300 yards (I like to think I'm a little above average, but that could just be ego) without magnification. I do see how a little boost in the zoom would be nice though.

Not sure what you budget is but I'd guess without looking at the prices I can't imagine it costing more than $800 for the whole setup. My optic was $500, and that's the expensive part.

"This is not about land or money...but the one thing that no man should never be able to take from another man: the freedom to make his own choices about his life, where he'll live, how he'll live, how he'll raise his family. "

William Travis, The Alamo: 13 Days to Glory

Old 12-31-2010, 02:38 PM   #32

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ubergopher View Post
Have you thought about getting an EO-Tech then buying their aftermarker quick detach magnifer.

I have the XPS 2-0 and I'm confident in my ability to hit out to 300 yards (I like to think I'm a little above average, but that could just be ego) without magnification. I do see how a little boost in the zoom would be nice though.

Not sure what you budget is but I'd guess without looking at the prices I can't imagine it costing more than $800 for the whole setup. My optic was $500, and that's the expensive part.
The magnifier and mount required is more than the price of the optic. You'll find them for $500 - almost $800. Thats just magnifier and mount. For that kind of money Id think about a 1-4x scope. Its a cleaner look and less crap to mess with. Might be a little lighter as well.

Old 12-31-2010, 02:45 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjkeat View Post
The magnifier and mount required is more than the price of the optic. You'll find them for $500 - almost $800. Thats just magnifier and mount. For that kind of money Id think about a 1-4x scope. Its a cleaner look and less crap to mess with. Might be a little lighter as well.
Oh ****. Is the magnifier magic or something?

I wonder if any off brand magnifer would be just as good...

"This is not about land or money...but the one thing that no man should never be able to take from another man: the freedom to make his own choices about his life, where he'll live, how he'll live, how he'll raise his family. "

Old 12-31-2010, 02:46 PM   #34

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gloves View Post
There's no way I'll have a military brand scope/reticle due to their crazy
price. It'll most likely be some knock-off that works well enough for me.
Or even more likely, if I like the scope my uncle has, i'll try to buy it off him.

This is the longest 10 days of my life! (I feel like i've said that before)
Look into Primary Arms - For Optics Accessories & More | Weapons Optics | Firearm Supplies. I have some of the nicer optics but need something different for a range only rifle. PrimaryArms offers a cool little red dot w/ name brand QD mount for $165ish. Ive read some good reviews from LEOs and avid 3 gunners/ comp shooters that say they really like it. PA also offers other optic platforms.

Old 12-31-2010, 02:50 PM   #35

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ubergopher View Post
Oh ****. Is the magnifier magic or something?

I wonder if any off brand magnifer would be just as good...
I dont know honestly. Although Ive never used a mag behind a red dot they dont appeal to me for some reason. I think its a mixture of visual clutter and what seems to me extra stuff in my way.

Try PrimaryArms for an off brand magnifier. I know I sound like a broken record but the guy has great CS and product.

Old 12-31-2010, 03:16 PM   #36

I'll give 'em a look when I get back to my guns in a year or so.

Old 12-31-2010, 05:28 PM   #37

Holy Moley! I have no idea what you guys are talking about lol! But thanks for making my thread more interesting, i think.

Getting back to the basic thread though- as it relates to this being my first ever AR15 purchase, and me being the complete novice that I am- I'd like to sum up where I'm at:

1- I'll definitely be buying a new Nikon bc of the big discount I can get, so taking advantage of that, I can proudly state money is no object (just ask my wife, badaboom).
2- 4-16x50 is the most powerful scope in their highest quality Monarch X line, and one would probably be very pleased with that scope, but their regular Monarch line offers more magnification selections, like 5-20, 6-24, or even 8-32. The MonarchX line offers 30mm tubes however, Monarch only 1" tubes.
3- I want to buy the best optics Nikon offers. I realize that both scope lines offer quality products, but is there that much difference between the Monarch and the MonarchX lines, are the optics that much better in the X line that one would sacrifice those higher magnifications offered in the regular Monarch line?
4- Does a 30mm tube really make a difference? Does a 50mm objective really make a difference, does the combination of the two really improve light gathering? I wonder if the 8-32x50 is bright enough at full power? And then I wonder if I should stop thinking about all this and just buy one already, the X line's 4-16x50 with the 30mm tube.

Thanks for putting up with my repetitive machinations.

Old 12-31-2010, 05:52 PM   #38
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2750 Times on 1336 Posts
Likes Given: 1396

howhoo,

Let me attempt to simplify all of our conversation.

Number 1 I see you have iron sights on the weapon and that is fine and the front one looks like a fold down which is good so it is not in the way.
Then I see you have a RRA Tactical Carry Handle. If you are ever going to like an EOTech for example I would trade it for a RRA Dominator Mount and mount your EOTec on it. You could then remove the Dominator Rail and the EOTech as one modular unit. As I stated you are for sure leaning in the direction of a good scope for your application and that is great! Do not forget to get you a RRA Scout Rail or other unit that gives you complete eye relief adjustment. The eye piece on the scope should be even with the back of the charging handle when installed.
1" or 30mm I think is not a big issue for you. If you like the scope buy it as long as it is a good quality scope like the Nikons you are talking about.
I would suggest the 4X-12 or 4X-16 Range. If you varmint hunt you may be working in real close on occasion. The 4 power would allow you to do that as well as you would have the 16 power for example for longer shots. The 30mm does collect more light but from what I have heard from you it is not that big of a deal at all. Good luck!