optics: what to do - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > optics: what to do

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-21-2010, 05:11 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Yes, most of my shooting will be from a bench rest or bi-pod at the 200 or even some 300 yd distances. Here on eastern Long Island it's slim pickins when it comes to public ranges. But I get the message that it's all about precision. And that down the road it would be nice to already have a quality scope for longer distances, so with that in mind I'm looking at Nikon, only bc a friend of mine works there and can get deep discounts for me. Diggsbakes, that website has great prices for gently used merchandise, I thank you for that, but the Nikon connection is too attractive to ignore. And thank you Sniper03 for the tip about a proper rail mount. Anyway, Ken's 'bigger is better' philosophy strikes a chord and I was wondering if the following scopes would be good choices, and which one would be best for me; first I was looking at the m-223 which is 3-12 x 42, but now I'm inclined to consider the Monarch line 4-16 x 50, 6-24 x 50, 8-32 x 50, or the Gold 2.5-10 x 50. Ken would probably say get the 8-32 lol, and I would cause of the 32 power, but is it possible the 8 power is too strong for 200 yds, that there's no option for less than 8. Let me just say that being the novice I am, I don't know what a target would look like thru these quality scopes.

Old 12-21-2010, 06:47 PM   #12
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3286 Times on 1592 Posts
Likes Given: 1655

Howhoo,

Before you buy also have your friend show you a 30mm tube scope!
Unbelievable difference in light gathering. Of course price is likely a consideration. But take a look at one anyway. I have a Leupold VX III in 3.5 - 10 X 50. Model 54912 30 mm Tube with Illuminated Reticle that I like. But I also have one of the new Nikon Coyote Scopes in 1" tube that is very clear. But anyway save your money and buy the best optics you can. Someone has said we normally do it all wrong! We buy a good rifle and put a cheap scope on it when we should buy the best scope possible and put it on a rifle! Nikon makes some good quality scopes.
Just don't forget the mounting issue.

Old 12-21-2010, 07:34 PM   #13

Liked 127 Times on 96 Posts
Likes Given: 13

I'm running leupold 6-18x40 target on both my 308 and 223.

Fine duplex on the 308, target dot on the 223.
I could make a list of a bunch of guns i have, or "have", or wish I had. Why would one feel compelled to provide that infornation freely? Do you feel the need to show off? Is it some immature game of oneupsmanship?

Why do you feel it necessary to list your guns?

Old 12-22-2010, 03:55 PM   #14

Yes, most of my shooting will be from a bench rest or bi-pod at the 200 or even some 300 yd distances. Here on eastern Long Island it's slim pickins when it comes to public ranges. But I get the message that it's all about precision. And that down the road it would be nice to already have a quality scope for longer distances, so with that in mind I'm looking at Nikon, only bc a friend of mine works there and can get deep discounts for me. Diggsbakes, that website has great prices for gently used merchandise, I thank you for that, but the Nikon connection is too attractive to ignore. And thank you Sniper03 for the tip about a proper rail mount. Anyway, Ken's 'bigger is better' philosophy strikes a chord and I was wondering if the following scopes would be good choices, and which one would be best for me; first I was looking at the m-223 which is 3-12 x 42, but now I'm inclined to consider the Monarch line 4-16 x 50, 6-24 x 50, 8-32 x 50, or the Gold 2.5-10 x 50. Ken would probably say get the 8-32 lol, and I would cause of the 32 power, but is it possible the 8 power is too strong for 200 yds, that there's no option for less than 8. Let me just say that being the novice I am, I don't know what a target would look like thru these quality scopes.

Last edited by howhoo50; 12-22-2010 at 03:57 PM. Reason: trying to get this post to the main thread-

Old 12-22-2010, 05:17 PM   #15

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by howhoo50 View Post
8x is not to strong for 200 at all.

Old 12-22-2010, 05:32 PM   #16

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

With no regard to price, I would recomment at least a 4-16 power. when you start aiming at golf ball sized targets at 200 yards, and your optic only goes up to 8 power, you will curse yourself for not getting something more powerful.

Old 12-22-2010, 06:47 PM   #17

let me rephrase that- since most variable scopes are 4x zoom, ie 2.5-10,
4-16, 6-24, 8-32 etc, can you think of any circumstance where you would actually prefer less magnification than 8x? Or is that really not an issue. I'll bet dollars to doughnuts whatever variable scope one has it's always cranked up to maximum power anyway, lol.

Old 12-22-2010, 06:50 PM   #18

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

No, I don't see the need for shooting anything with less than 8 power, except for maybe shooting at 25 yards. That's just my experience. But you will definitely not have your scope cranked up all the way. Just wait till you are shooting at the range and there is alot of mirage, believe you me, you will have that scope turned down.

Old 12-24-2010, 11:49 PM   #19

Liked 21 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 18

Default Spike Tactical optics?

I'm digging this thread as I am starting my 10-day waiting period. Right now
it comes with standard iron sights on the carry handle. The Spike Tactical
does have a flat top I can mount an optic to.

Ideally here are some points I would like in a scope:
  • Man-sized target at 400 yards (not further than)
  • Head-sized (or smaller) target at 200 yards
  • Quick target acquisition
  • Bonus if it works well in low light

P.S. I know so little about optics, I don't understand all the numbers you
are posting as this is my first long rifle.
"If the gun is cold to the touch, put Gloves on" -RustyShackleford101

Old 12-25-2010, 02:59 AM   #20

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gloves View Post
I'm digging this thread as I am starting my 10-day waiting period. Right now
it comes with standard iron sights on the carry handle. The Spike Tactical
does have a flat top I can mount an optic to.

Ideally here are some points I would like in a scope:
  • Man-sized target at 400 yards (not further than)
  • Head-sized (or smaller) target at 200 yards
  • Quick target acquisition
  • Bonus if it works well in low light

P.S. I know so little about optics, I don't understand all the numbers you
are posting as this is my first long rifle.
Sounds like you need a magnified optic with a off-set red dot.