Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > optics: what to do

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-13-2010, 08:20 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default optics: what to do

Hi all, just got my first AR, RRA varmint A4 20" bbl, chomping at the bit to get to the range as soon as weather gets better. I will only be using for target, probably 200 yds mostly and was wondering what kind of optics would be most suitable. I see all kinds of hi tech stuff out there like holosights, lasers, red dot, green dot, etc, and of course ye olde tried and true telescopic sights, which I get the feeling is where I'm ultimately headed, but can someone please give me the basic rundown on the different types of optics, what they're used for, and what kind of set-up would be good for my purposes? Much appreciated.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 12-13-2010, 11:31 PM   #2

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

I'm guessing you'll want a scope for distances that far out.

Red dots and halos are mostly used for 0-100yards. They're fast on target and you can shoot both eyes open allowing you to keep better control of your surroundings

The only lasers Ive used were I.R. and wouldn't be of much use to most of us.

Old 12-13-2010, 11:35 PM   #3

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I would think that for 200 yards and in, than just a decent variable power scope would do the trick. I shoot out to 500 yards with my AR in the Bushnell Banner that is on top of it, and I don't have any real complaints in that it was a 150.00 dollar scope. I am hoever going to be putting nicer optics on there soon. But for 200 yards, a scope like the Bushnell would serve you great.

Old 12-14-2010, 11:58 AM   #4

I've got a Nikon M-223 3-12 x 42SF that works real well
on my SIG556. It's a good scope for around $400.

Old 12-14-2010, 03:53 PM   #5

thank you for your posts gentlemen. That Nikon m-223 looks awesome- I read somewhere that when it all boils down a good scope is more important than how good the gun is, so I will make the investment and get a high quality one right off the bat. Thanks again guys.

Old 12-17-2010, 07:08 PM   #6

Default Leupold Tactical

Here's another one to consider:

Leupold 3-9x40 Mark AR Riflescope

SWFA sells it with a mount for a reduced price.

Fourbits

Old 12-17-2010, 07:44 PM   #7

Liked 7 Times on 4 Posts

If you're never going to fire that gun at a target past 200 yds, then a 3-9x is more than enough. Heck, you could even save a bit and get a quality fixed power. . . But, I'd bet you're eventually gonna want to shoot beyond 200 yards, especially with that gun. Sure, most of your shooting will take place from 0-200 yds, but you should consider an optic that is capable of reaching a bit further.

Go with at least a 3-12x probably a 4.4-14x would serve you best

This is one of the (if not the) best spots to buy optics.

Quality optics and accessories from Leupold, Bushnell, Burris, Nikon and more!

I got a Nikon Monarch, paid $150 under the next closest price available online and there was absolutely NO evidence of use.

Old 12-18-2010, 01:39 AM   #8

[QUOTE=diggsbakes;404846] I'd bet you're eventually gonna want to shoot beyond 200 yards, especially with that gun. Sure, most of your shooting will take place from 0-200 yds, but you should consider an optic that is capable of reaching a bit further.

Thats some pretty good advice right there! The rifle you bought and your plans for it kinda says BIG scope.

The higher the magnification of the scope, assuming you have the other variables under control, really helps the precision placement of the bullet.

I'm thinking that you probably will be doing most of your shooting from a bench or other type of rest, off bags. With the bull barrel that's a heavy rifle to shoot off hand. It can be done, but it doesn't sound like you bought it for that.

I do most of my shooting from a bench because I'm old and lazy. I figured out a long time ago that bigger "is" really better. From a rest you can use "bigger" powered scopes because the rifle stays steady. You probably won't be shooting moving targets and target acquisition time is not a factor, heck ya got all day!

I guess what I'm saying is to buy the highest magnification needed for what you want to do with the rifle today and In the future. Maybe at 200 yds with a 6x24x40mm scope you can hit a clay bird target laying out there in the dirt every time. Put a straight 40 or 50 power scope on the rifle and you can pick "which part" of the clay bird you want to hit! The object looks that much bigger!

This is just what works for me and I'm sure everybody has their own ideas. Also I don't know what you want your rifle to do?

Here is one I built similar to yours. This has a 24"x.960 Bull Barrel and has only been shot once at 100 yds and that was just to make one ragged hole.

Mainly its used at 200 yds or further. Right now it has a straight 40 power scope on it. Its not enough for what I want the rifle to do. It will have a 50 power on it by warm weather. Remember too that the higher magnification gives you an edge closer in also. That quarter the guy is shooting at with his little scope will look like a pie plate to you!

Price wise, you can go from 100 bucks to 4 times what you paid for the rifle?

This is just my slant on things. Whatever you do, thats one fine look'in weapon there! Good luck, Ken

PS - diggsbakes, sorry to keep quoting you! Could you say something I disagree with so I can Stop!!!! Please!!!

"The older I get, The better I was"

Last edited by kenhesr; 12-18-2010 at 01:47 AM. Reason: spelling airer

Old 12-18-2010, 04:22 AM   #9

Liked 7 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenhesr View Post
PS - diggsbakes, sorry to keep quoting you! Could you say something I disagree with so I can Stop!!!! Please!!!
That's just how it goes, my friend. I was just regurgitating info. picked up in books, at the range, local shops and here.

Old 12-21-2010, 12:43 AM   #10
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1809 Times on 928 Posts
Likes Given: 974

Once you decide on a quality scope you have one other consideration that is very important to the proper mounting of the scope. You should either get a Rock River Scout Rail or one of the newer mounts that moves the scope rings forward so that you have the correct eye relief even when you might be shooting prone. Without one of the above the eye piece on the scope will be way back on the stock of the rifle causing you to "goose neck" to shoot the rifle or eliminating the possibility of getting a good cheek weld on the stock to shoot particularly in the prone position. The reason for this is the Flat Top Picatinny Rail on the Receiver itself is too short. And when you move the larger scope forward to get the proper eye reliefe the elevation turret of the scope strikes the rear of the front scope ring preventing you from moving the scope forward for proper eye relief unless you use on of the above units. The eye piece of the scope should be even with the top rear of the receiver where the charging handle goes into. And should not stick out behind the charging handle and latch. This will just save you some headaches.