Optics for an AR platform???
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > Optics for an AR platform???

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-13-2010, 01:57 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Optics for an AR platform???

I was just wondering in general what type of optics do you guys put on your weapons?

I know it's application more than anything but do they make a 2X or 3X Holosight type scope with say a 1 inch MOA. I know the holosight I have covers alot of the target at 100yds and I think it's the smallest holosight reticle out there and it's edges are just NOT very crisp!!

What about laser sights?? How much target are they covering at 100yds and is that a practicle laser sight distance??

Is it realistic to "try" and set up your optics to cover both close quarters and varment shooting. Is there a set-up out there that lets you change from say a holosight type sight to a regular scope WITHOUT changing the POI??

I know I haven't said much of substance so how about just letting me know what kind of sights your using and maybe your favorites. I like a good piece of glass and VXll's or Nikons sit on my hunting guns but I don't want to move up to far in the dollar amount..

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 03-13-2010, 02:09 PM   #2

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Check out the Comp M2/ M3/ M4 and a swing away magnifier (AIMPOINT). Can get the 2 MOA or 4 MOA dots, no 1 MOA in those though. Would have to go with EoTech for 1 MOA and add a magnifier. EoTEchs are a very fast sight in close, but they lack the durability and design that AIMPOINTs have. AIMPOINTs are the better sight IME.

Old 03-13-2010, 08:26 PM   #3

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Why not just put a quality 3x-9x on it and keep it turned down to 3x? That way you'll have your precision and still be quick to pick up close targets. A decent Nikon Prostaff or Weaver V9 will run you only about 150$.

Sometimes you earthlings REALLY amaze me!

Old 03-13-2010, 08:57 PM   #4

I guess my biggest concern with a 3x9 piece of glass would be eye relief more than anything else. That being said I could toss on a 3x12 VXll or a 2X7 Leopold shotgun scope I already have and save a bundle. The bigger reticle on the shotgun scope might speed up aquisition and might be more forgiving when it comes to eye relief.
They don't seem to be giving away the Aimpoint comp M2 or the 3X magnification accessory but I may start out with just the comp 2 and worry about the 3X a little down the line.
TY, John

Old 03-13-2010, 09:01 PM   #5

Liked 34 Times on 29 Posts

You can adjust the eye relief by moving the scope.

I have a 6-24-50mm Nikon Monarch on my RRA.

Old 03-13-2010, 10:36 PM   #6

Liked 58 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoAmmoPlease View Post
I guess my biggest concern with a 3x9 piece of glass would be eye relief more than anything else. That being said I could toss on a 3x12 VXll or a 2X7 Leopold shotgun scope I already have and save a bundle. The bigger reticle on the shotgun scope might speed up aquisition and might be more forgiving when it comes to eye relief.
They don't seem to be giving away the Aimpoint comp M2 or the 3X magnification accessory but I may start out with just the comp 2 and worry about the 3X a little down the line.
TY, John
That VX-II might be just what the doctor ordered. Have you looked at the prices on the Aimpoint and the magnifications?

Old 03-14-2010, 07:33 PM   #7

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

My AR`s are set up for coyote hunting. I have 3 x 9 Leupold scopes on 2 uppers, 1 in .223 and 1 in .204. They are my day guns, but I have never shot at a coyote with the scope set on anything other than 3X. For my nite rifle I have a lazer mounted on a .223 upper. I use gen 3 nite vision goggles anduse a red lazer that covers 4 in. at 100 yrds. It`s larger than I want and they do make smaller but I haven`t got 1 yet. I personally do not like the red dot type sights, but have a friend that used them for a while and I watched him hit a corn husk at 258 yrds. lazered.

Catfish
Ohio

Old 03-15-2010, 02:32 PM   #8

I guess i'm trying to get the best out of both worlds with one optic which still looks very possible just more pricey than putting on the 3X12.
I understand that you can change "eye relief" by moving but every scope has an optimum distance it wants to be away from your eye.
They sure seem to be coming out with a lot of extended eye relief traditional scopes for hunting rifles and they look pretty slick.

A lot this is horse pucky right now anyway. I happen to live in MA where my mini 14 is fine but I can't buy something with a collapsable stock or a bayonet lug!! I can't say a bayonet lug was a biggy on my wish list anyway. A RR seems to be in my future when I get to lining up an FFL holder and choosing the appropriate rifle. Rock on guys and enjoy your freedoms while they last. Here in MA they are slipping away fast. You even have to get an "firearms Identification Card" if you want to have pepper spray. Were doomed we'll never make it.

Old 03-20-2010, 08:38 PM   #9

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Although i don't do any Varmint hunting (It's not too well accepted her in NY) I chose a higher powered Scope. I decided on a Weaver Classic V24 6-24x42 scope. It not inexpensive but as expensive as some others ($350.00) i do a lot of 100 yard shooting and I like the fact that I can crank it up to 24X and see the holes in the target without a spotting scope.