Optics
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > Optics

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-27-2013, 10:37 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
jlee0812's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 76
Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts

Default Optics

I'm looking for a good, reliable red dot. I know that aimpoint, eotech are great companies. Does anyone have any experience with a product at a lower price point that's quality? Any input is appreciated.

__________________
jlee0812 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here


Old 08-27-2013, 10:51 AM   #2
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
AndyRexia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Franklin,North Carolina
Posts: 332
Liked 26 Times on 22 Posts

Default

Check out Primary Arms. People seem to like them. Vortex also.

__________________
AndyRexia is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 10:55 AM   #3
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
jlee0812's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 76
Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyRexia View Post
Check out Primary Arms. People seem to like them. Vortex also.
I'll check em out.. thanks
__________________
jlee0812 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 01:18 PM   #4
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
purehavoc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Not where I wanna be
Posts: 4,750
Liked 1133 Times on 737 Posts
Likes Given: 2021

Default

I might suggest Lucid , Great optics, great company , great customer service , and not over priced.

__________________
Criminals Prefer Unarmerd Victims....


And Dictators Prefer Unarmed Citizens
purehavoc is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 01:22 PM   #5
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Sgt_Skrb_25's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 1,420
Liked 580 Times on 310 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by purehavoc
I might suggest Lucid , Great optics, great company , great customer service , and not over priced.
I second that notion. You can get them around $200, and look at the features it has, it has all the stuff you expect to get at a higher price point.
image-1510304567.jpg  
__________________
Sgt_Skrb_25 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 02:50 PM   #6
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
jlee0812's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 76
Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgt_Skrb_25 View Post

I second that notion. You can get them around $200, and look at the features it has, it has all the stuff you expect to get at a higher price point.
Much appreciated guys... I just don't think I have to spend 600 to get a reliable sight system...
__________________
jlee0812 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 05:36 PM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
DeltaF's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Deep South USA
Posts: 3,184
Liked 2404 Times on 1327 Posts
Likes Given: 325

Default

You could try UTG, their stuff either works just fine or is junk. And if you get one that's junk you can send it back and get them to send you another one of the same model and usually end up with one that does work. They take a little extra effort to sight in but hold a zero just fine. There's a thread on this forum on sighting in UTG. Price point $60. They're not parallax free.

I've shot AKs, M4s and an SKS with different UTG optics and they all got the job done.

__________________

"...it is ...ALIVE!!!"


Last edited by DeltaF; 08-27-2013 at 05:45 PM.
DeltaF is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 05:42 PM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
sweeper22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 2,450
Liked 262 Times on 205 Posts
Likes Given: 36

Default

Personally, I believe Aimpoint > Eotech. And I say that as someone who owns no Aimpoints but does currently own an Eotech XPS. So no homerism in play.

Wanna spend less? I fully endorse both the Vortex Strikefire and Vortex Sparc. I've spent a bunch of time behind each and have been absolutely satisfied. I might actually prefer my $180 Sparc to my $500 Eotech. No kidding.

The Lucid HD7 is a sight that I don't have a ton of experience with. But a number of folks I respect really like their Lucids. I almost bought one. The only sticking point was the weight (I prefer to keep it light, and they're a little on the bulky/heavy side). But they appear to be excellent optics.

For under $300, I really don't think I'd consider any AR red dot beyond Vortex, Lucid, and maybe Primary Arms...in that order. And if weight is no issue, Lucid may well trump Vortex.

__________________
"The Future is Unwritten"

Last edited by sweeper22; 08-27-2013 at 05:44 PM.
sweeper22 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 05:48 PM   #9
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
jlee0812's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 76
Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweeper22 View Post
Personally, I believe Aimpoint > Eotech. And I say that as someone who owns no Aimpoints but does currently own an Eotech XPS. So no homerism in play.

Wanna spend less? I fully endorse both the Vortex Strikefire and Vortex Sparc. I've spent a bunch of time behind each and have been absolutely satisfied. I might actually prefer my $180 Sparc to my $500 Eotech. No kidding.

The Lucid HD7 is a sight that I don't have a ton of experience with. But a number of folks I respect really like their Lucids. I almost bought one. The only sticking point was the weight (I prefer to keep it light, and they're a little on the bulky/heavy side). But they appear to be excellent optics.

For under $300, I really don't think I'd consider any AR red dot beyond Vortex, Lucid, and maybe Primary Arms...in that order. And if weight is no issue, Lucid may well trump Vortex.
Awesome Intel... I'm thinking about a Vortex SPARC... looks good
__________________
jlee0812 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 05:55 PM   #10
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
sweeper22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 2,450
Liked 262 Times on 205 Posts
Likes Given: 36

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlee0812 View Post
Awesome Intel... I'm thinking about a Vortex SPARC... looks good
This is my #2 SHTF AR. It's a Daniel Defense with an EoTech XPS 2-0...pretty much a $2K rifle.




But this is my #1. A BCM build that's $600 less and 1/2lb lighter, in part due to the Sparc sight.

__________________
"The Future is Unwritten"
sweeper22 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Firearms Forum Replies Last Post
Optics for my 223/5.56 glockmania Optics & Mounts 46 09-14-2012 08:11 PM
Optics AznZOhAn AR-15 Discussion 22 07-23-2011 03:54 AM
AR Optics mag318 AR-15 Discussion 3 02-25-2011 04:10 AM
optics for .308 n_andonovski Optics & Mounts 18 08-17-2010 12:01 PM
AR-15 Optics Makarov AR-15 Discussion 5 04-14-2010 04:51 PM