You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion >

Optics ??

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-09-2012, 12:17 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 157 Times on 108 Posts
Likes Given: 119

One of the things you have to remember, and that few black rifle shooters will admit to, is that most civilian AR-15 rifles are shot at paper more than anything else. In that regard, ACOG's, Aimpoints, and EO-Tech's do not provide the best option. That is because they are designed as battle sights, not target sights. Sure, you can use them as such, but that is not what they were designed to do.

A good scope with quality optics will serve the average AR-15 shooter much better. Most of these battle sights sell on their "tacticool" appeal that goes along with the rifle they are being mounted on. While there is nothing really "wrong" with that, tying up big money in a battle sight to shoot at paper most of the time is a sort of a waste of money, simply because the money could be much better applied.

This is especially true of many of these ACOGS which can run into more money than the gun they are mounted on. For the $1,200.00+ cost of many of these, your gun could be wearing a Leupold Mark IV. For shooting at long range the results obtained with the latter are going to be far more satisfying.

I've never understood the argument of wanting a 1 in 7" twist barrel because of it's ability to shoot heavy, long range bullets, then reducing the ability of the rifle by putting what is basically a short range battle optic on it. Yes, you can use an ACOG or an Aimpoint at long range, but you will achieve much better, more accurate results with a good quality rifle scope in the same price range.

Old 04-09-2012, 01:35 PM   #12

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 4

There's a big difference between shooting man-size targets inside of 200 yards with an AR and trying to shoot prairie dogs or coyotes at 300 yards.

I use a small light 2-7X32 power scope on my AR that offers some of the best of both worlds. On 2-power it's excellent at very close ranges and yet when set to 7-power it can reach out very accuartely at longer ranges out to 300 yards. I must say that I don't shoot prairie dogs or coyotes, just paper, but with the accuracy I get I feel confident that I could if I wanted to.

Old 04-09-2012, 03:11 PM   #13

Liked 1181 Times on 766 Posts
Likes Given: 2063

I have a 3-9 X 40 on my AR and it works well right now we dont have as much range as we would like 200 yards max unless I drive a hr which isnt always convenient , but were working on being able to shoot 300 at another place close, We just need to buy more
1/2" plate so we can shoot some 18X24 targets out that far . Sucks dragging plate targets around from place to place
I keep telling myself I want a 6-24 X 50 for it but I keep backing off because I know they arent a precision shooting rifle , I have other guns to do that with so I am currently content with the 3-9X for now

Last edited by purehavoc; 04-09-2012 at 03:14 PM.

Old 04-09-2012, 03:15 PM   #14

Liked 15 Times on 11 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by billt
One of the things you have to remember, and that few black rifle shooters will admit to, is that most civilian AR-15 rifles are shot at paper more than anything else. In that regard, ACOG's, Aimpoints, and EO-Tech's do not provide the best option. That is because they are designed as battle sights, not target sights. Sure, you can use them as such, but that is not what they were designed to do.

A good scope with quality optics will serve the average AR-15 shooter much better. Most of these battle sights sell on their "tacticool" appeal that goes along with the rifle they are being mounted on. While there is nothing really "wrong" with that, tying up big money in a battle sight to shoot at paper most of the time is a sort of a waste of money, simply because the money could be much better applied.

This is especially true of many of these ACOGS which can run into more money than the gun they are mounted on. For the $1,200.00+ cost of many of these, your gun could be wearing a Leupold Mark IV. For shooting at long range the results obtained with the latter are going to be far more satisfying.

I've never understood the argument of wanting a 1 in 7" twist barrel because of it's ability to shoot heavy, long range bullets, then reducing the ability of the rifle by putting what is basically a short range battle optic on it. Yes, you can use an ACOG or an Aimpoint at long range, but you will achieve much better, more accurate results with a good quality rifle scope in the same price range.
Haha...don't forget most military rifles are shot at paper more than anything else as well. Did I mention I'm posting from the pits at the range?
image-2547792967.jpg   image-850491845.jpg