Optics ??
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > Optics ??

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-08-2012, 07:46 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default Optics ??

Want to get a optic for my m6a2, I would like something that will work for up close as well as at a distance what should I get?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 04-08-2012, 08:20 PM   #2

Liked 335 Times on 264 Posts
Likes Given: 51

A true 1x to 4x wil do cqb and intermiate nicely. A rds with a magnifier sont have a good reticle for diatnce use, but be faster to pickup cqb. Surprisings both weight about the same.

If you just won the lotto look for 1 - 8x optics. If not don't bother you may have a coronary from the sticker shock.

Last edited by AgentTikki; 04-08-2012 at 08:22 PM.

Old 04-08-2012, 08:37 PM   #3
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1983 Times on 1074 Posts
Likes Given: 592

How much do you want to spend? $150 to $$$$$ I have a Bushnell Trophy XLT 1-4X24 with 4A reticle and a 1moa red dot. A little over $200 with mount.

Patron Member NRA
"I would not be an old man if I had not been an armed young man." JTJ
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and promoted by mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of feces by the clean end."

Last edited by JTJ; 04-08-2012 at 08:41 PM.

Old 04-08-2012, 09:07 PM   #4
fmj

Liked 753 Times on 437 Posts
Likes Given: 306

this is whats on my M-4...

http://ncstar.com/scripts/prodView.asp?idproduct=443

the company gets a bad rap around here....But for the money and a lifetime warranty i would say they are worth a look considering the cost of others.

The 1911: Turning useless trash into good fertilizer for over 100 years!!

Old 04-08-2012, 09:30 PM   #5

Liked 77 Times on 44 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by fmj View Post
this is whats on my M-4...

http://ncstar.com/scripts/prodView.asp?idproduct=443

the company gets a bad rap around here....But for the money and a lifetime warranty i would say they are worth a look considering the cost of others.

What does that run? No price is listed, and how does it hold up to abuse? What's your opinion on it?

What part of 'shall not be infringed' confuses people?

Old 04-08-2012, 11:13 PM   #6

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

Check out Primary Arms. Their Micro dot plus mount is around $100, and it's a great RDS that can take a beating. It just doesn't had the five year battery life of the Aimpoint. Grab the 6x magnifier on a swivel mount and you are set for CQB and intermediate distances (magnifier is also primary arms). They stand behind their products, good company.

"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." -Benjamin Franklin

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Old 04-09-2012, 12:18 AM   #7
fmj

Liked 753 Times on 437 Posts
Likes Given: 306

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenLuby View Post
What does that run? No price is listed, and how does it hold up to abuse? What's your opinion on it?
I am thinking $180 new from Midwayusa.com.

I picked mine up off craigslist for $60. Found out after the fact the reticle was busted. So, i called NcStar. They said fill out the online warrant form, print it out and send it to them. I asked about the shipping charge. (customary $10) The cat on the other end of the line said, "put shipping comp.ed by Matt, I HATE to hear when my scopes malfunction, a mans reticle should NOT be spinning in the tube. We'll take care of you right away. That particular model is on back order but our warranty claims get first dibs on any that come in."

Just got my tracking number yesterday, its been a little over a month. They have been on back order and the shipping container got held up in customs....still not complaining. A new scope for $60 is a new scope for $60...month wait or not.

We'll see how it holds up soon enough. I dont know what kind of abuse it took from the previous owner.

I have a feeling i will be doing a range trip Friday. Benn kind of antsy to see how my M-4 performs with optics, considering i can hardly see the target at 50 w/ iron sights. Plus, i want to do some 100 yd work and DEFINITELY cant see a target at 100 with iron sights .....will file a report then.

The 1911: Turning useless trash into good fertilizer for over 100 years!!

Last edited by fmj; 04-09-2012 at 12:23 AM.

Old 04-09-2012, 12:25 AM   #8

Liked 77 Times on 44 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Thanks FMJ. I look forward to it.

What part of 'shall not be infringed' confuses people?

Old 04-09-2012, 09:28 AM   #9

Liked 157 Times on 108 Posts
Likes Given: 119

Quote:
Originally Posted by tenntyrant View Post
Want to get a optic for my m6a2, I would like something that will work for up close as well as at a distance what should I get?
http://www.midwayusa.com/product/582858/leupold-mark-ar-rifle-scope-15-4x-20mm-duplex-matte

You could check around and see if anyone could beat the $247.00 price. Presently they are showing "Out Of Stock". Restock not until July 23rd. SWFA or places like that might have them in stock and cheaper. A nice scope that will fit your needs without spending a fortune.

Old 04-09-2012, 11:14 AM   #10

Liked 48 Times on 38 Posts

I have been pondering this same thought. I just recently picked up a M6 SPR and I happen to love this rifle. I have been pondering the optics route but when I was in the Army, I hated the aimpoint sight and prefered to shoot with my iron sights instead and shot well with them. I always qualified expert and often 40/40, I guess I have fallen victim to group think.