Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   AR-15 Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f20/)
-   -   Optic opinions (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f20/optic-opinions-91347/)

longunner 05-27-2013 09:18 PM

Optic opinions

I have been looking at optics for my AR recently, feel like I can do a little better than just iron sights. I was looking at the strikefire vortex and read mixed reviews on it. I've never seen or held one before, so I don't really know what to expect. I'd like to have something where I can reliably group shots at 100 yards. I'd also like to stay between 1 and 2 hundred bucks on it.

Gatoragn 05-27-2013 09:28 PM

Vortex is a good option in that price range.

I have a Sparc, I paid $199 for it from Cabela's last year. The Sparc has a screw in 2x magnifier. The Sparc was also easy to co-witness with my MBUS.

I chose the Sparc because it is smaller than the Strikefire.

I also have a $40 Tru Glo red dot on an upper, it works pretty darn good inside 100 yards.

longunner 05-27-2013 09:49 PM

Haven't heard about the Sparc...I would like to be able to co-witness (maybe to justify the purchase of my MBUS :rolleyes:) Does the magnifier make a noticeable difference for you?

young88 05-27-2013 10:07 PM

Either leupold or night force , leupold has lifetime warranty . I would do a leupold on top and iron sights or a trijicon delta point ona 45 moa( which is on the side for quick up close transitions) i you have money get a leupold delta point

young88 05-27-2013 10:09 PM

Sorry just saw your price range , honestly you can get away with trijicon scope for maybe 500 but come on . Firearms are the last thing to go cheap on. Save up if you have to , the difference is great

Gatoragn 05-27-2013 10:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by longunner (Post 1259624)
Haven't heard about the Sparc...I would like to be able to co-witness (maybe to justify the purchase of my MBUS :rolleyes:) Does the magnifier make a noticeable difference for you?

Yes, the magnifier helps some.

longunner 05-27-2013 11:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by young88
Sorry just saw your price range , honestly you can get away with trijicon scope for maybe 500 but come on . Firearms are the last thing to go cheap on. Save up if you have to , the difference is great

Honestly 500 is just too much money for me to justify spending on an optic for shooting paper and steel. It would be a different story if I competed with it or trusted my life to it.

e43jimmy409 05-27-2013 11:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by longunner (Post 1259725)

Honestly 500 is just too much money for me to justify spending on an optic for shooting paper and steel. It would be a different story if I competed with it or trusted my life to it.

I'm the same way. I bought a sightmark reflex sight. It was like $100. Its worked well for me. I got the quick detach version. Suits my needs for killing cardboard and paper

longunner 05-28-2013 12:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by e43jimmy409

I'm the same way. I bought a sightmark reflex sight. It was like $100. Its worked well for me. I got the quick detach version. Suits my needs for killing cardboard and paper

I'm looking at 2 in natchez's magazine right now...one looks like an eotech clone, made by sightmark and the other doesn't have a name brand...

young88 05-28-2013 12:11 AM

Yeah if i were you i would go on opticsplanet.com and sort through lowest price and google some reviews or watch some on youtube when you find one you like