Opinions on who makes the best AR-15. - Page 4
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > Opinions on who makes the best AR-15.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-09-2013, 02:48 PM   #31
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneralPatton View Post
LOL, these threads are like pissing contests that never end. The best AR is the one you can afford to buy and shoot on your income. What good does it do you to spend $1500 on a rifle and not be able to afford ammo? I'd think one would rather spend $1000 on the rifle and get 500 rounds to use it with. If money is no object, have one custom built the way you want it. It's kinda like asking, who makes the best car? Ford, Chevy, Dodge, Jeep, Ferarri and so forth. They all in the end achieve the same goal, some just look purtier (that's intentionally misspelled) and cost more to repair.
Yep you are correct. Every forum i have ever been on has this going on. Best AR15, best Sniper rifle, best optic, best knife.

Go to a match and see what others are using. There are so many things that go into making something the best. With guns you got to take into consideration the ammo used, the the maintenance being done correctly, was the guy/gal building it hungover or pissed at the world the day it he or she worked on it? I remember buying a Savage 10 FP 308 when they first were coming out with the accu-trigger. Several years back. On the 2 forums i was on everyone but maybe 2 people was saying i was an idiot for buying it because it wasn't a Remington 700. Well i still got it and still love it. It's my favorite bolt gun and most accurate. It's a tack driver. Back then it was an$400.00 a lot cheaper than a Remington of equal quality.
Ok I'm done pissing :-)

Help support your local AR15 addict. BUY ME AMMO!

Old 01-09-2013, 03:40 PM   #32
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 234 Times on 186 Posts
Likes Given: 29

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-5 View Post
What exactly do you get more of with a Rock than a Colt?
That's easy. Weight. All of my ARs weigh in at 6.5-7.5lbs. I had an RRA Elite Operator that I dropped on a scale...without a mag or any accessories it checked in at 9.8lbs! That's a 30-50% increase! I believe RRA's 5.56 barrels are almost exclusively 1:9 twist, and Colts 1:7. Personally, I believe 1:8 is the best medicine.

If your purpose is the occasional hunting/varminting rifle, and shooting for groups at the range, RRA's setup is really tough to beat in the $800-1400 range. They offer tremendous quality and value in that role.

If you want a versatile SHTF rifle that might need to be carried for extended periods and stand up to abuse, RRA is toward the bottom of the list. It's a good rifle, just not a great choice for certain roles.

FWIW, I also think there are better SHTF options than Colt at the same price point. Well, at least there were a few weeks ago. Just my opinion. Colts are just fine...but PSA is pretty well equal, BCM, LMT, & DD I consider superior...again, there's a hefty helping of personal opinion, preference and probably bias included in that statement.

Old 01-09-2013, 03:56 PM   #33
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 234 Times on 186 Posts
Likes Given: 29

Quote:
Originally Posted by running_fool View Post
I would stay with Colt or Rock River.I prefer Rock river. You get more gun for the money with Rock
River.
A few weeks ago you could build a PSA rifle equal to the Colt, and 2-3lbs lighter than a RRA for $700-900.

Old 01-09-2013, 04:43 PM   #34
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 100 Times on 83 Posts
Likes Given: 42

I've used PSA a few times and had good experiences. I went over to the range yesterday to sell a couple PMAGS to a guy, and while there I saw a consignment AR on the rack. I had to take a look. It was a Larue lower with a PSA upper, and was about the most bone stock basic AR you can buy. And the asking price......$1400. I chuckled as I walked off leaving it right where I found it. I mean, it has a 5 or 6 hundred dollar PSA upper, with a Larue lower and unknown LPK. I'm not really educated on what the Larue lowers cost, but from various threads I read new from the factory they were like $150 and in the last 8 months most seemed to be fetching about $300 or so. It was obvious is had been well used, and taking a peek at the bolt it was sopping with oil. At a time when AR's seem to disappear at absurd prices, my buddy up there told me that one had been there 6 days, and everyone that had picked it up had put it back down and walked away.

Old 01-09-2013, 06:00 PM   #35

Liked 44 Times on 36 Posts
Likes Given: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBobeck
Just curious on some opinions of the best brand of AR-15's. Tend to lean towards Ruger firearms.
In my opinion Noveski makes the best they are even though it's very pricey it's worth every penny that it costs. I have to Noveske's both the Afghan N4's one with a stainless steel barrel the other with the chrome barrel and both she will under minute of angle.

Last edited by samnev; 01-10-2013 at 09:07 PM.

Old 01-09-2013, 07:34 PM   #36

Liked 23 Times on 17 Posts

Daniel Defense, BCM, Colt, PSA. In that order.

Old 01-09-2013, 07:52 PM   #37

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by broke-again124 View Post
Considering what I paid for my PSA in comparison to what those others cost, I feel that much better about my purchase

Old 01-09-2013, 08:16 PM   #38

Liked 980 Times on 689 Posts
Likes Given: 983

Quote:
Originally Posted by broke-again124 View Post
I have three of those (no Colt) and can't argue with you if we're talking about the best "duty" AR. I would put my DD first, then BCM then PSA. Honestly there's not all that much separating my three, I trust them all to take a beating and keep on firing. (BTW I'm talking uppers, the lowers are different rollmarks but built to equal specs as a DD/BCM/PSA lower.)

Of course there are others deserving of praise. Colt, for sure, and Knights, Noveske, LMT, Sionics, etc. And Spikes or S&W aren't far off. I'd feel good with any of them.

Sadly there are plenty that fall short if you're talking about a serious duty AR although they should work for the average buyer. I am not by any means a SME when it comes to target/varmint guns so my opinion there is worthless.

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.

Old 01-09-2013, 09:56 PM   #39

what, no love for the LWRCA2?

Old 01-09-2013, 10:16 PM   #40
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 947 Times on 433 Posts
Likes Given: 71

Well as of right now if you don't already own one and you can find one somewhere..... I don't think you get to be too picky.

Fortunately I do have one and a stash of ammo as well!

"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms. The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government"

-- Thomas Jefferson, 1 Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334